HOW to get LLTD working in SP3 under 2 minutes flat.

X3S

HOW to get LLTD working in SP3 under 2 minutes flat.

results, please visit http://www.vistax64.com/showthread.php?t=173205
Question: Who Thisnks MVPs are deserve theire title

- YEs they know a lot about widoes and worked hard for that tittle.
- Na you dont need to be MVP they suck eggs
- MY solution to LLTD is the bestest in the world...

MY Blog has the answer

'X3's Greener Grass: Link Layer Topology Discovery (KB922120) not
included in SP3 no problem!!! Read on...'
(http://x3webworx3.spaces.live.com/bl...75AE!234.entry)

but for those that I just came here to leave a link and can be bothered
how to read here goes

So imagine that like me, you slipstreamed the latest Service pack onto
your existing install disk to make a clean install of XP (insert your
edition here) and found out like me that the LLTD while its on the list
of updates included with SP3 its not really... Go figure... It happens
really... or does it?
LLTD just makes it way easier for Vista to see XP in its network map
and maybe even make it easier for you to get things working together
dure goes help... I see it like a scaled down version of Cisco CDP...
Moving on
Download the 'LLTD windowsXP-KB922120-v5-ENU.exe'
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en),
running it will give you a error not allowing you to install it, but
there is a way around it... Seriously! Keep reading!
I figured that since it was working when first tried SP3 via WU and I
had this update already that there is no reason why this makes any
sense... So I Googled as one does. I looked at 'this topic'
(http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&cr=&sloc=&p=1)
and quite honestly some idiot saying on thar topic that "All the KB's
you mentioned were new features added to Windows XP after release of
SP2.They would not be added to SP3, but instead be refreshed to install
on SP3" makes me wonder why bother with comments like this... Clearly
you need to do some reading Mr. whatever your name is... Sounds like
something I wouldn't eat... Anyhow?! This is the advice someone as a
MSFT title should provided regarding the LLTD...
A 'topic on Microsoft discussion group'
(http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&cr=&sloc=&p=1)
pointed towards 'http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828030'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828030) in how to extract a update to
your HDD as part of the solution and then place these files on Windows
Directory and system32 folder and then run the service... ok pretty easy
eh? nope. What file goes where so here it is... you will also need to
set folder options to view hidden files.
Please do the following:

- Rename the *LLTD WindowsXP-KB922120-v5-ENU.exe*
windowsXP-KB922120-v5-ENU.exe to a simpler name e.g. *922120 *and
place it on e.g. *C:\*
- Click Start button navigate to run prompt and type in cmd and press
enter or click ok (a black window will open)
- Type the following in the command prompt (cursor blinking)
*cd c:\*

Then type in command window

*c:\922120.exe -x:c:\922120*

Files will extract to folder named *922120* and pressuming that the
package is now downloaded and extracted all you need is to concentrate
on the folder named SP2QFE.

Inside you will find a file named *rspndr.sys* place it inside your
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers directory, *rspndr.exe* should be placed
inside your C:\Windows\System32 directory and finally the *rspndr.inf*
which is inside the IP named folder, should be placed inside your
(previously) hidden C:\Windows\Inf directory.

Now you all done! Start the service by opening a cmd prompt window
again navigating to directory by typing cd C:\Windows\System32 directory
and issuing the following command once there on same prompt window.
*rspndr.exe -i* (then tap enter duh!)
You should receive a confirmation that the service is installed and by
opening your NIC card properties you will confirm by reviewing that
there is a checked entry for Link Layer Topology Discovery.
On another note maybe it would be better to 'rollup and add this and
other missing KB's in the disk before slipstreaming SP3'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814847) and then maybe we could avoid
it altogether. Or wait until Microsoft is good and ready to release yet
another stream of updates to go on top of SP3 and fix this or similar
issues. One can wait or do it himself. erm feeling like XP SP4 anyone?

Obviously my blog has all the links for which I cant past a format
here.

ANYwho Im not a MVP I dont work in IT no one gives me a job and yet
lookie here.

Someone has really dropped the ball onn that last interview I went.

--
X3S

-democracy, the shackles that keep us in our enslaved existence and our
own apathy is the whip that cracks downd on our hopes and dreams making
us believe that we are trully free...

if we interfere we certainly will disapear, no one ca sto progress © X3
ijon.t

Re: HOW to get LLTD working in SP3 under 2 minutes flat.

results, please visit http://www.vistax64.com/showthread.php?t=173205
Question: Who Thisnks MVPs are deserve theire title

- YEs they know a lot about widoes and worked hard for that tittle.
- Na you dont need to be MVP they suck eggs
- MY solution to LLTD is the bestest in the world...

Wow! It works!
I've been searching and searching the web...
Great Tutorial!
Big Thanx!

--
ijon.t
X3S

Re: HOW to get LLTD working in SP3 under 2 minutes flat.

results, please visit http://www.vistax64.com/showthread.php?t=173205
Question: Who Thisnks MVPs are deserve theire title

- YEs they know a lot about widoes and worked hard for that tittle.
- Na you dont need to be MVP they suck eggs
- MY solution to LLTD is the bestest in the world...

well thank you

Its nice to now when you help someone they thank you back for it.

--
X3S

-democracy, the shackles that keep us in our enslaved existence and our
own apathy is the whip that cracks downd on our hopes and dreams making
us believe that we are trully free...

if we interfere we certainly will disapear, no one ca sto progress © X3
PaulB

Re: HOW to get LLTD working in SP3 under 2 minutes flat.
Microsoft has finally published a Hotfix that solves this problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
--
Paul

"X3S" wrote:

> A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and see the
> results, please visit http://www.vistax64.com/showthread.php?t=173205
> Question: Who Thisnks MVPs are deserve theire title
>
> - YEs they know a lot about widoes and worked hard for that tittle.
> - Na you dont need to be MVP they suck eggs
> - MY solution to LLTD is the bestest in the world...
>
> well thank you
>
> Its nice to now when you help someone they thank you back for it.
>

> --
> X3S
>
> -democracy, the shackles that keep us in our enslaved existence and our
> own apathy is the whip that cracks downd on our hopes and dreams making
> us believe that we are trully free...
>
> if we interfere we certainly will disapear, no one ca sto progress © X3

X3S

Re: HOW to get LLTD working in SP3 under 2 minutes flat.

results, please visit http://www.vistax64.com/showthread.php?t=173205
Question: Who Thisnks MVPs are deserve theire title

- YEs they know a lot about widoes and worked hard for that tittle.
- Na you dont need to be MVP they suck eggs
- MY solution to LLTD is the bestest in the world...

Check out my latest blog post for a even better rant and finally 3
months late MS own fix no nonsense help .... MS sucks

'WindowsXP KB922120-v6-x86-ENU.zip'
(http://x3webworx3.spaces.live.com/bl...75AE!260.entry)

So without further nonsense

--
X3S

-democracy, the shackles that keep us in our enslaved existence and our
own apathy is the whip that cracks downd on our hopes and dreams making
us believe that we are trully free...

if we interfere we certainly will disapear, no one ca sto progress © X3
jclifton

Re: HOW to get LLTD working in SP3 under 2 minutes flat.

results, please visit http://www.vistax64.com/showthread.php?t=173205
Question: Who Thisnks MVPs are deserve theire title

- YEs they know a lot about widoes and worked hard for that tittle.
- Na you dont need to be MVP they suck eggs
- MY solution to LLTD is the bestest in the world...

XS3: You're awesome. This is still a valid and useful solution (which is
why I've bumped this thread to help other people hunting for this
solution). This was a straightforward, elegant solution, and included
the obviously implied methods for other such situations. You've saved me
a bunch of time. Thank you.

--
jclifton
X3S

Re: HOW to get LLTD working in SP3 under 2 minutes flat.

results, please visit http://www.vistax64.com/showthread.php?t=173205
Question: Who Thisnks MVPs are deserve theire title

- YEs they know a lot about widoes and worked hard for that tittle.
- Na you dont need to be MVP they suck eggs
- MY solution to LLTD is the bestest in the world...

well it is still a hot issue no doubt my blog is innundated with
searches for this. Shame MS dont really want to fix all the SP3 bugs.

--
X3S

-democracy, the shackles that keep us in our enslaved existence and our
own apathy is the whip that cracks downd on our hopes and dreams making
us believe that we are trully free...

if we interfere we certainly will disapear, no one ca sto progress © X3
yesigotfaith

Re: HOW to get LLTD working in SP3 under 2 minutes flat.

results, please visit http://www.vistax64.com/showthread.php?t=173205
Question: Who Thisnks MVPs are deserve theire title

- YEs they know a lot about widoes and worked hard for that tittle.
- Na you dont need to be MVP they suck eggs
- MY solution to LLTD is the bestest in the world...

Thank you so much it's nice to know that there are people who are
willing to share what they know to help others.

--
yesigotfaith
Dave

Re: HOW to get LLTD working in SP3 under 2 minutes flat.
I think you need a spell checker.

--
Windows 7 RC
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"yesigotfaith" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and see the
> results, please visit http://www.vistax64.com/showthread.php?t=173205
> Question: Who Thisnks MVPs are deserve theire title
>
> - YEs they know a lot about widoes and worked hard for that tittle.
> - Na you dont need to be MVP they suck eggs
> - MY solution to LLTD is the bestest in the world...
>
> Thank you so much it's nice to know that there are people who are
> willing to share what they know to help others.
>

> --
> yesigotfaith

rency

Re: HOW to get LLTD working in SP3 under 2 minutes flat.

results, please visit http://www.vistax64.com/showthread.php?t=173205
Question: Who Thisnks MVPs are deserve theire title

- YEs they know a lot about widoes and worked hard for that tittle.
- Na you dont need to be MVP they suck eggs
- MY solution to LLTD is the bestest in the world...

Good idea!Thank you!

--
rency