Vista to Vista Problems

Nogginsaked

Vista to Vista Problems
I am about to delete Vista and install XP on a brand new laptop. I so
totally regret having Vista instead of XP installed on it. My fault, I
should have known better, I've been forcing myself to use Vista on one
important desktop productivity machine for several months and it is not
easy.
Every network and drive setting is exactly the same, including all the
arcane subsettings, on my two Vista computers, one a desktop and one a
laptop.
The laptop can access the C drive of the desktop and do what it needs to do
but the desktop is denied access to the C drive of the laptop.
I have deleted all the laptop network and sharing settings, rebooted, reset
them, but the problem persists.
The bizarre thing, this being Vista the bizarre should be expected, all
sharing settings worked fine yesterday but when the laptop was rebooted
today I encounter the above.
Vista networking has been an inconsistent nightmare from the get-go. XP is
far more reliable and Apple computers have no such problems at all for peer
to peer users.
I absolutely have to share all the data on these two machines and if the
problem cannot be resolved I will delete Vista from one or both---this kind
of garbage is not worth it.
What is wrong with Microsoft? Don't they get why Intel and most large
corporations will not touch Vista but end users have it crammed down their
throats and Microsoft calls Vista a sales success.

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista to Vista Problems
The chances are that there will be NO XP drivers written for your Laptop.
Check at laptop's manufeacturer's website.
Without them, you are stuck with Vista!

Also, have a read below about Networking XP and Vista

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Nogginsaked" wrote:

> I am about to delete Vista and install XP on a brand new laptop. I so
> totally regret having Vista instead of XP installed on it. My fault, I
> should have known better, I've been forcing myself to use Vista on one
> important desktop productivity machine for several months and it is not
> easy.
> Every network and drive setting is exactly the same, including all the
> arcane subsettings, on my two Vista computers, one a desktop and one a
> laptop.
> The laptop can access the C drive of the desktop and do what it needs to do
> but the desktop is denied access to the C drive of the laptop.
> I have deleted all the laptop network and sharing settings, rebooted, reset
> them, but the problem persists.
> The bizarre thing, this being Vista the bizarre should be expected, all
> sharing settings worked fine yesterday but when the laptop was rebooted
> today I encounter the above.
> Vista networking has been an inconsistent nightmare from the get-go. XP is
> far more reliable and Apple computers have no such problems at all for peer
> to peer users.
> I absolutely have to share all the data on these two machines and if the
> problem cannot be resolved I will delete Vista from one or both---this kind
> of garbage is not worth it.
> What is wrong with Microsoft? Don't they get why Intel and most large
> corporations will not touch Vista but end users have it crammed down their
> throats and Microsoft calls Vista a sales success.

oscar

RE: Vista to Vista Problems
"Every network and drive setting is exactly the same, including all the
arcane subsettings, on my two Vista computers, one a desktop and one a
laptop."

Actually, those subsettings are not arcane. Those settings exist to expand a
user's options in who can and who can not have access to folders and files
which is important in business applications and even home situations.

I recommend that you go back to XP until you have time to learn Vista.

Vista is not an enhanced version of XP but a different OS which needs to be
approached with the willingness by the user to take the required time and
patience to learn the new and powerful features.

--
oscar :-

....Right click is your very good friend...