DCOM Error 10009

garyf

DCOM Error 10009
Hi All

I have a home network consisting of a laptop (Vista Premium+SP1) and desktop
(XP Home+ SP2 with a shared printer attached). Recently, my laptop started
generating log messages 2 / minute of the type:

"DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer Desktop using any of the
configured protocols" - with Event id 10009.

Most of the research I've done suggests it might occur if there is an
invalid printer, computer or other device on the network. This doesn't seem
to be the case here. Other suggestions point to:
a) firewall exception COM+ Network Access not Enabled. - in my case I don't
even have such a rule.
b) Review RPC error messages. I looked at these and they are:
311 - wsopen20 - RPC failed to bind or connect to server
312 - wsopen30 - RPC could not open socket
318 - wsopen90 - RPC called connecter but failed. Error in originating
NTStatus error code
1442 - ??? (can't find info on this but the error points to the XP
computer <Desktop>)
1710 - ??? (can't find info on this)
c) Ensure the req'd properties for remote access are configured. These seem
to be in order. I have "connection-oriented" followed by "Tunneling TCP/IP"
protocols listed

I can communicated between the 2 CPU ok and use the shared printer. Anyone
know why this suddenly started and how to fix this error?

TIA

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: DCOM Error 10009
In most cases, this is firewall issue. This post may help.

Event ID 10009 DCOM was unable to communicate with computer
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=7596#7596

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"garyf" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> I have a home network consisting of a laptop (Vista Premium+SP1) and
> desktop (XP Home+ SP2 with a shared printer attached). Recently, my laptop
> started generating log messages 2 / minute of the type:
>
> "DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer Desktop using any of
> the configured protocols" - with Event id 10009.
>

> Most of the research I've done suggests it might occur if there is an
> invalid printer, computer or other device on the network. This doesn't
> seem to be the case here. Other suggestions point to:
> a) firewall exception COM+ Network Access not Enabled. - in my case I
> don't even have such a rule.
> b) Review RPC error messages. I looked at these and they are:
> 311 - wsopen20 - RPC failed to bind or connect to server
> 312 - wsopen30 - RPC could not open socket
> 318 - wsopen90 - RPC called connecter but failed. Error in originating
> NTStatus error code
> 1442 - ??? (can't find info on this but the error points to the XP
> computer <Desktop>)
> 1710 - ??? (can't find info on this)
> c) Ensure the req'd properties for remote access are configured. These
> seem to be in order. I have "connection-oriented" followed by "Tunneling
> TCP/IP" protocols listed
>
> I can communicated between the 2 CPU ok and use the shared printer. Anyone
> know why this suddenly started and how to fix this error?
>
> TIA

garyf

Re: DCOM Error 10009
Thank you for your response ... will investigate and respond to group on
results