Making progress on 'shareing'

FireBrick

Making progress on 'shareing'

From my lan XP machine I can now share with:
\\media\d
\\media\e
\\media\f
\\media\k

I still cannot share files with Vista Machine:
\\MEDIA\Bill
\\Media\c
\\MEDIA\Windows Media Player

In XP My Network Places
I see these Vista places exactly as I've written them.

Does it matter that some are in upper case and others lower?
Device Manager lists the computer name in all upper case
System Properties->Properties shows: Full computer name Media
and the Workgroup: WORKGROUP
(I use the same workgroup name on all of my home lan computers)

Network & sharing Center shows the WORKGROUP (Private network)

Sharing and Discovery
shows all on except Password protected sharing which if off

so there is only one issue left
how do I enable C: to be fully permissions shared with my other lan
computers
From the Vista I can write/read/change anything on the XP machine
From the XP machine I can only access files on the drives as above with
\\media\ as the name

what little point am I missing

One other ****y question.
Is there no 'My Documents' in Vista anymore???

please and thank you

--
-----------------------------
Bill H. in Chicagoland

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Making progress on 'shareing'
Have you assigned permission in Security tab? Or this post may help.
Can't access Vista C because of no ...
because of no permission in Security, Reply with quote ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=2509

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com> wrote in message

> From my lan XP machine I can now share with:
> \\media\d
> \\media\e
> \\media\f
> \\media\k
>
> I still cannot share files with Vista Machine:
> \\MEDIA\Bill
> \\Media\c
> \\MEDIA\Windows Media Player
>
> In XP My Network Places
> I see these Vista places exactly as I've written them.
>
> Does it matter that some are in upper case and others lower?
> Device Manager lists the computer name in all upper case
> System Properties->Properties shows: Full computer name Media
> and the Workgroup: WORKGROUP
> (I use the same workgroup name on all of my home lan computers)
>
> Network & sharing Center shows the WORKGROUP (Private network)
>
> Sharing and Discovery
> shows all on except Password protected sharing which if off
>

> so there is only one issue left
> how do I enable C: to be fully permissions shared with my other lan
> computers
> From the Vista I can write/read/change anything on the XP machine
> From the XP machine I can only access files on the drives as above with
> \\media\ as the name
>
> what little point am I missing
>
> One other ****y question.
> Is there no 'My Documents' in Vista anymore???
>

> please and thank you
>

> --
> -----------------------------
> Bill H. in Chicagoland

oscar

RE: Making progress on 'shareing'
Hi Firebrick,

To your Networking question:

Assuming that all of your Network and Sharing variables are correct and that
the XP home network is set-up properly, then try this: Choose Folder or disk
that you want to share, right click > Share > Advanced Sharing > Permissions
> choose Everyone. For some folders or files you may get the File Sharing

wizard. Choose people to share with: Everyone.

There is no more My Documents on Vista. No My Anything although if you use
some legacy (old) software it may display My ** as a place to Save documents.
Also, if you Unhide Protected System Files using Folder options you may see
“ghosts” of My ** folders. Ignore those.

Hope this helps.

--
oscar

....Right click is your best friend...

"FireBrick" wrote:

> From my lan XP machine I can now share with:
> \\media\d
> \\media\e
> \\media\f
> \\media\k
>
> I still cannot share files with Vista Machine:
> \\MEDIA\Bill
> \\Media\c
> \\MEDIA\Windows Media Player
>
> In XP My Network Places
> I see these Vista places exactly as I've written them.
>
> Does it matter that some are in upper case and others lower?
> Device Manager lists the computer name in all upper case
> System Properties->Properties shows: Full computer name Media
> and the Workgroup: WORKGROUP
> (I use the same workgroup name on all of my home lan computers)
>
> Network & sharing Center shows the WORKGROUP (Private network)
>
> Sharing and Discovery
> shows all on except Password protected sharing which if off
>

> so there is only one issue left
> how do I enable C: to be fully permissions shared with my other lan
> computers
> From the Vista I can write/read/change anything on the XP machine
> From the XP machine I can only access files on the drives as above with
> \\media\ as the name
>
> what little point am I missing
>
> One other ****y question.
> Is there no 'My Documents' in Vista anymore???
>

> please and thank you
>

> --
> -----------------------------
> Bill H. in Chicagoland

FireBrick

Re: Making progress on 'shareing'
Thank you Oscar
But I should have said that I had 'Everyone' set as permissions for Drive C:
already.

As far as I can tell
Every setting for C: is set the same as the D:, E:, etc other drives.
Only C: is restricted from other computers.

"oscar" <oscar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Firebrick,
>
> To your Networking question:
>
> Assuming that all of your Network and Sharing variables are correct and
> that
> the XP home network is set-up properly, then try this: Choose Folder or
> disk
> that you want to share, right click > Share > Advanced Sharing >
> Permissions
>> choose Everyone. For some folders or files you may get the File Sharing

> wizard. Choose people to share with: Everyone.
>
> There is no more My Documents on Vista. No My Anything although if you use
> some legacy (old) software it may display My ** as a place to Save
> documents.
> Also, if you Unhide Protected System Files using Folder options you may
> see
> “ghosts” of My ** folders. Ignore those.
>

> Hope this helps.
>

> --
> oscar
>
> ...Right click is your best friend...
>

> "FireBrick" wrote:
>

>> From my lan XP machine I can now share with:
>> \\media\d
>> \\media\e
>> \\media\f
>> \\media\k
>>
>> I still cannot share files with Vista Machine:
>> \\MEDIA\Bill
>> \\Media\c
>> \\MEDIA\Windows Media Player
>>
>> In XP My Network Places
>> I see these Vista places exactly as I've written them.
>>
>> Does it matter that some are in upper case and others lower?
>> Device Manager lists the computer name in all upper case
>> System Properties->Properties shows: Full computer name Media
>> and the Workgroup: WORKGROUP
>> (I use the same workgroup name on all of my home lan computers)
>>
>> Network & sharing Center shows the WORKGROUP (Private network)
>>
>> Sharing and Discovery
>> shows all on except Password protected sharing which if off
>>

>> so there is only one issue left
>> how do I enable C: to be fully permissions shared with my other lan
>> computers
>> From the Vista I can write/read/change anything on the XP machine
>> From the XP machine I can only access files on the drives as above with
>> \\media\ as the name
>>
>> what little point am I missing
>>
>> One other ****y question.
>> Is there no 'My Documents' in Vista anymore???
>>

>> please and thank you
>>

>> --
>> -----------------------------
>> Bill H. in Chicagoland

FireBrick

Re: Making progress on 'shareing'
Bingo Robert
I had to add 'Everyone' as one of the groups.
As soon as I did that.

I thought I had read every post and tip
Apparently I missed or didn't understand that you had to give Everyone
permission in two different screens.

Thank Robert!

Thank you for the update.

--
> Bingo Robert
> I had to add 'Everyone' as one of the groups.
> As soon as I did that.
>
> I thought I had read every post and tip
> Apparently I missed or didn't understand that you had to give Everyone
> permission in two different screens.
>
> Thank Robert!
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
>> Have you assigned permission in Security tab? Or this post may help.
>> Can't access Vista C because of no ...
>> because of no permission in Security, Reply with quote ...
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=2509
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> From my lan XP machine I can now share with:
>>> \\media\d
>>> \\media\e
>>> \\media\f
>>> \\media\k
>>>
>>> I still cannot share files with Vista Machine:
>>> \\MEDIA\Bill
>>> \\Media\c
>>> \\MEDIA\Windows Media Player
>>>
>>> In XP My Network Places
>>> I see these Vista places exactly as I've written them.
>>>
>>> Does it matter that some are in upper case and others lower?
>>> Device Manager lists the computer name in all upper case
>>> System Properties->Properties shows: Full computer name Media
>>> and the Workgroup: WORKGROUP
>>> (I use the same workgroup name on all of my home lan computers)
>>>
>>> Network & sharing Center shows the WORKGROUP (Private network)
>>>
>>> Sharing and Discovery
>>> shows all on except Password protected sharing which if off
>>>

>>> so there is only one issue left
>>> how do I enable C: to be fully permissions shared with my other lan
>>> computers
>>> From the Vista I can write/read/change anything on the XP machine
>>> From the XP machine I can only access files on the drives as above with
>>> \\media\ as the name
>>>
>>> what little point am I missing
>>>
>>> One other ****y question.
>>> Is there no 'My Documents' in Vista anymore???
>>>

>>> please and thank you
>>>

>>> --
>>> Bill H. in Chicagoland

FireBrick

Re: Making progress on 'shareing'
While I got your attention Robert.

On my XP machine, in My Network Places, it shows
Windows Media Player on MediaMachine (Media) \\MEDIA/Windows Media Player

Does that mean my XP machine could play Medea Player and it's music?
If I figure out how to give Media Player the proper Permissions??? LOL

Not sure why I'd want to, but could be a learning experience.