Attaching to Vista shared folder from MSDOS returns Error 5: Access has been denied

S. Johnson

Attaching to Vista shared folder from MSDOS returns Error 5: Access has been denied
I'm attempting to attach to a shared folder on a Vista Business pc
from another computer using the MSDOS Microsoft Networking client but
when attempting to map the drive I am first told the password is
invalid for the share (it isn't) but I enter it anyway and then get
Error 5: Access has been denied.

Is it possible to attach to a Vista share using the MSDOS client?

thanks
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Attaching to Vista shared folder from MSDOS returns Error 5: Access has been denied
in most cases, System error 5 is permission issue. You may want to try to
create the same user on both computer.
System Errors
If the net view command fails with a "System error 5 has occurred.
..... 2. when using net view \\hostname, you may receive "System error 5 has
occurred. ...
www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"S. Johnson" <shepiii@covad.net> wrote in message
> I'm attempting to attach to a shared folder on a Vista Business pc
> from another computer using the MSDOS Microsoft Networking client but
> when attempting to map the drive I am first told the password is
> invalid for the share (it isn't) but I enter it anyway and then get
> Error 5: Access has been denied.
>
> Is it possible to attach to a Vista share using the MSDOS client?
>
> thanks

S. Johnson

Re: Attaching to Vista shared folder from MSDOS returns Error 5: Access has been denied
This isn't the problem. At the DOS client I'm definitely logged in
with credentials that match an account on the Vista pc and the account
has administrator rights. Furthermore, I can attach to the same
network shares from a computer running Windows XP that is using the
same user id and password.

Any other ideas?

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 10:46:29 -0500, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
<findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote:

>in most cases, System error 5 is permission issue. You may want to try to
>create the same user on both computer.
>System Errors
> If the net view command fails with a "System error 5 has occurred.
>.... 2. when using net view \\hostname, you may receive "System error 5 has
>occurred. ...
> www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm

jurgen1976

Re: Attaching to Vista shared folder from MSDOS returns Error 5: Access has been denied

To connect you have to enter the computer name and de username as
loginname:

loginname: computername\username
Password: password

this works fine for me, by using a ms-dos client and vista

S. Johnson;3915219 Wrote:
> This isn't the problem. At the DOS client I'm definitely logged in
> with credentials that match an account on the Vista pc and the account
> has administrator rights. Furthermore, I can attach to the same
> network shares from a computer running Windows XP that is using the
> same user id and password.
>
> Any other ideas?
>

> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 10:46:29 -0500, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
> <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote:
>
> >in most cases, System error 5 is permission issue. You may want to try

> >create the same user on both computer.
> >System Errors
> > If the net view command fails with a "System error 5 has

> occurred.
> >.... 2. when using net view \\hostname, you may receive "System error

> 5 has
> >occurred. ...
> > www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm

--
jurgen1976
jurgen1976's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/jurgen1976.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1017823.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

jroseboom

Re: Attaching to Vista shared folder from MSDOS returns Error 5: Access has been denied

Hi too am getting the same error. I'm trying to connect to a system
using windows XP pro from a machine running dos 6.22. I'm using
Microsofts client for DOS. I've tried the username as suggested
computer\user and still receive the same error. When I run NET USE and
it asks for the username if there is a "\" in the name, it tells me the
name is invalid. At the command line if I type net use x:
\\computer\sharename it seems to accept it but then says the password
is invalid (which of course it isn't). I'll type it again and then the
error pops up.

I can log in from other XP computers to that share so it doesn't seem
to be a problem where the share is set up incorrectly.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
jroseboom
jroseboom's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/jroseboom.htm