Remove renamed computer on wireless home network

Altereagle

Remove renamed computer on wireless home network

I have (had?) two computers with similar names on my wireless network.
The home is using XP & this one is the Vista Home premium which I
renamed.

How do I remove the old name from the network? Since having the old
name still there doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks for any help.
-Gordon-

--
Altereagle
Altereagle's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/altereagle.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Remove renamed computer on wireless home network
Hi
If there are icons and links that can be removed, delete them.
Unmap every drive that uses a wrong computer name.
If any thing stays, be patient it would disappear after few days, and few
reboots.
'Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Altereagle" <Altereagle.3dwcfc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I have (had?) two computers with similar names on my wireless network.
> The home is using XP & this one is the Vista Home premium which I
> renamed.
>
> How do I remove the old name from the network? Since having the old
> name still there doesn't solve the problem.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> -Gordon-
>

> --
> Altereagle
> Altereagle's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/altereagle.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1017639.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

kevin

Re: Remove renamed computer on wireless home network
Jack,

I have a similiar problem, two vista home premium laptops and one xp sp2
desktop. I didn't like the names of the two vista pc's and have since
changed their names. I now have icons under the networking folder (in Vista)
for both the old and new name. I have no mapped drives and it has been more
than a few days and reboots.

Where are the "references" stored so that I may delete them manually and
explicitly
--
kevin...

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> If there are icons and links that can be removed, delete them.
> Unmap every drive that uses a wrong computer name.
> If any thing stays, be patient it would disappear after few days, and few
> reboots.
> 'Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Altereagle" <Altereagle.3dwcfc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I have (had?) two computers with similar names on my wireless network.
> > The home is using XP & this one is the Vista Home premium which I
> > renamed.
> >
> > How do I remove the old name from the network? Since having the old
> > name still there doesn't solve the problem.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> > -Gordon-
> >

> > --
> > Altereagle
> > Altereagle's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/altereagle.htm
> > View this thread:
> > http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1017639.htm
> >
> > http://forums.techarena.in

ndyguy

Re: Remove renamed computer on wireless home network

What worked for me was clearing the DNS cache. Open the command prompt
in administrator mode and type "ipconfig /flushdns".

--
ndyguy