Network computer not accessible

0302

Network computer not accessible
I have two computers on a wireless home network, both running Vista, named
"Desktop" and "Tablet". I want to be able to transfer and modify files
between computers with Password Protected Sharing enabled. Right now it only
works in one direction.

When attempting to open "Desktop" from the network menu on "Tablet", I get
the following error, "DESKTOP is not accessible. You might not have
permission to use this network resource...etc."

Both computers are in the identical workgroup. Both computers have
identical user account names and passwords. I have shared the identical
Documents folder on each by right-click, Share, Advancing Sharing, Share this
folder. Sharing and Discovery options enabled on both are:
-Network Discovery
-File Sharing
-Password Protected Sharing

I can access "Tablet" from "Desktop" while Password Protected Sharing is
enabled, but not the other way around. When I turn off Password Protected
Sharing at "Desktop", I can access the shared folder on "Desktop" from
"Tablet." Disabling my 3rd party firewall has no effect in any scenario.

How else can I troubleshoot this problem?
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network computer not accessible
For troubleshooting, start the OS with clean boot. Can you access each
other?
Windows general
How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe Mode
with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort programs in
Start ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"0302" <0302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two computers on a wireless home network, both running Vista, named
> "Desktop" and "Tablet". I want to be able to transfer and modify files
> between computers with Password Protected Sharing enabled. Right now it
> only
> works in one direction.
>
> When attempting to open "Desktop" from the network menu on "Tablet", I get
> the following error, "DESKTOP is not accessible. You might not have
> permission to use this network resource...etc."
>
> Both computers are in the identical workgroup. Both computers have
> identical user account names and passwords. I have shared the identical
> Documents folder on each by right-click, Share, Advancing Sharing, Share
> this
> folder. Sharing and Discovery options enabled on both are:
> -Network Discovery
> -File Sharing
> -Password Protected Sharing
>
> I can access "Tablet" from "Desktop" while Password Protected Sharing is
> enabled, but not the other way around. When I turn off Password Protected
> Sharing at "Desktop", I can access the shared folder on "Desktop" from
> "Tablet." Disabling my 3rd party firewall has no effect in any scenario.
>
> How else can I troubleshoot this problem?

0302

Re: Network computer not accessible
Robert,

Thank you for your reply. When starting "Desktop" in safe mode with
networking, I receive the following error when trying to connect to it from
"Tablet":

DESKTOP is not set up to establish a connection on port "File and Printer
Sharing (SMB)" with this computer.

On "Desktop", if I open Networking from the start menu, I don't see any
devices. With a normal startup I see my router, "Desktop" itself, and
"Tablet."

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> For troubleshooting, start the OS with clean boot. Can you access each
> other?
> Windows general
> How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe Mode
> with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort programs in
> Start ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

0302

Re: Network computer not accessible
Additionally:

When starting the OS with a clean boot as described, there are no changes to
the original situation. Can still access Tablet, but Tablet still receives
the same error message when attempting to log on to Desktop.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> For troubleshooting, start the OS with clean boot. Can you access each
> other?
> Windows general
> How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe Mode
> with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort programs in
> Start ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network computer not accessible
Do you receive any error if running "net share" command on Tablet?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> Robert,
>
> Thank you for your reply. When starting "Desktop" in safe mode with
> networking, I receive the following error when trying to connect to it
> from
> "Tablet":
>
> DESKTOP is not set up to establish a connection on port "File and Printer
> Sharing (SMB)" with this computer.
>
> On "Desktop", if I open Networking from the start menu, I don't see any
> devices. With a normal startup I see my router, "Desktop" itself, and
> "Tablet."
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> For troubleshooting, start the OS with clean boot. Can you access each
>> other?
>> Windows general
>> How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe
>> Mode
>> with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort programs in
>> Start ...
>> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

0302

Re: Network computer not accessible
The net share command completes successfully on both computers with normal
Vista startup.