Connecting Vista Home Edition to 2003 Domain Controller Server

demola

Connecting Vista Home Edition to 2003 Domain Controller Server

::I recently bought a Sony Notebook running Vista Home Edition. I try to
link it up to a 2003 Domain server at my place of work without success.
All other 10 systems are running Windows XP and it was so easy to
register them on the 2003 Domain server::

::I tried to manually add Domain controller through Computer
name/domain changes, but it doesn’t detect the Server PC.

The odd thing is in my workgroup i see all other 10 regular PC in my
vista network but not the Server.

Can somebody help out on how I can connect it to the 2003 server domain
in my work place so that I can access all the applications on the
server?::
:: ::

--
demola
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Connecting Vista Home Edition to 2003 Domain Controller Server
The Vista Home can't join the domain. However, if you create a local user
and password matching the domain username and password, you may be able to
access the domain resource. This search result may help.
Domain FAQs
How configure TCP/IP to access to different networks How to access
different domain without changing the network settings How to change the
network ...
www.chicagotech.net/domainfaqs.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"demola" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> ::I recently bought a Sony Notebook running Vista Home Edition. I try to
> link it up to a 2003 Domain server at my place of work without success.
> All other 10 systems are running Windows XP and it was so easy to
> register them on the 2003 Domain server::
>
> ::I tried to manually add Domain controller through Computer
> name/domain changes, but it doesn't detect the Server PC.
>
> The odd thing is in my workgroup i see all other 10 regular PC in my
> vista network but not the Server.
>
> Can somebody help out on how I can connect it to the 2003 server domain
> in my work place so that I can access all the applications on the
> server?::
> :: ::
>

> --
> demola

Fisherman

Re: Connecting Vista Home Edition to 2003 Domain Controller Server

I run Home premium myself and as far as I am aware it is not capable of
connecting to a Domain, in order to do that you must have Vista
Business. Microsoft Support expalins it fairly well here: 'You cannot
join a Windows Vista Home Premium-based computer to a domain'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929543)

--
Fisherman