Network can't find hardware

j lunis

Network can't find hardware
I fear this will take a little setup info to explain my problem.
I will give the problem first and, if needed, the info will follow.

I have a home network. One desktop PC, one laptop, one Netgear SC101
NAS, one printer, one router, one cable modem.
From the desktop I can access the internet, the NAS, the printer.
From the laptop I can access the internet but not the NAS or printer.
That is, the printer does not show on the network nor in the printer
list within any application. The NAS? I get frequent error messages on
the laptop. Similar to . . .
"Drive Letter Conflict.
The drive xxxxx has no letter assigned to it. The to either dismount or
mount."
The NAS drives show in Computer Management but all I can do is access
Properties.
How do I get the laptop to find the printer and NAS?
---------------------
Vista Home Premium. Norton Protection Center.
Network consists of a desktop, cable modem, printer and a Netgear XE104
plugged in to my router.
Laptop is plugged into an XE104 in a room seperate from the desktop.
Netgear SC101 plugged into an XE104 in another room separate from the
desktop and laptop.
oscar

RE: Network can't find hardware
Hi,

This seems to be such a product specific problem that it might be best to
start with contacting Netgear.
--
oscar

....Right click is your best friend...

"j lunis" wrote:

> I fear this will take a little setup info to explain my problem.
> I will give the problem first and, if needed, the info will follow.
>
> I have a home network. One desktop PC, one laptop, one Netgear SC101
> NAS, one printer, one router, one cable modem.
> From the desktop I can access the internet, the NAS, the printer.
> From the laptop I can access the internet but not the NAS or printer.
> That is, the printer does not show on the network nor in the printer
> list within any application. The NAS? I get frequent error messages on
> the laptop. Similar to . . .
> "Drive Letter Conflict.
> The drive xxxxx has no letter assigned to it. The to either dismount or
> mount."
> The NAS drives show in Computer Management but all I can do is access
> Properties.
> How do I get the laptop to find the printer and NAS?
> ---------------------
> Vista Home Premium. Norton Protection Center.
> Network consists of a desktop, cable modem, printer and a Netgear XE104
> plugged in to my router.
> Laptop is plugged into an XE104 in a room seperate from the desktop.
> Netgear SC101 plugged into an XE104 in another room separate from the
> desktop and laptop.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Network can't find hardware
Hi
Use the network mapping to see what the status of the NAS is.
NAS is on the Network as a Network device with an IP it does not appear as a
Drive with a letter unless you map it on each computer (does not need to be
the same letter, you can choose what ever is available on each computer)
Similarly is with the printer you have to use the printer software, and
individually install it on each computer.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"j lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I fear this will take a little setup info to explain my problem.
> I will give the problem first and, if needed, the info will follow.
>
> I have a home network. One desktop PC, one laptop, one Netgear SC101 NAS,
> one printer, one router, one cable modem.
> From the desktop I can access the internet, the NAS, the printer.
> From the laptop I can access the internet but not the NAS or printer. That
> is, the printer does not show on the network nor in the printer list
> within any application. The NAS? I get frequent error messages on the
> laptop. Similar to . . .
> "Drive Letter Conflict.
> The drive xxxxx has no letter assigned to it. The to either dismount or
> mount."
> The NAS drives show in Computer Management but all I can do is access
> Properties.
> How do I get the laptop to find the printer and NAS?
> ---------------------
> Vista Home Premium. Norton Protection Center.
> Network consists of a desktop, cable modem, printer and a Netgear XE104
> plugged in to my router.
> Laptop is plugged into an XE104 in a room seperate from the desktop.
> Netgear SC101 plugged into an XE104 in another room separate from the
> desktop and laptop.

j lunis

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
> Use the network mapping to see what the status of the NAS is.
> NAS is on the Network as a Network device with an IP it does not appear
> as a Drive with a letter unless you map it on each computer (does not
> need to be the same letter, you can choose what ever is available on
> each computer)
> Similarly is with the printer you have to use the printer software, and
> individually install it on each computer.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "j lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I fear this will take a little setup info to explain my problem.
>> I will give the problem first and, if needed, the info will follow.
>>
>> I have a home network. One desktop PC, one laptop, one Netgear SC101
>> NAS, one printer, one router, one cable modem.
>> From the desktop I can access the internet, the NAS, the printer.
>> From the laptop I can access the internet but not the NAS or printer.
>> That is, the printer does not show on the network nor in the printer
>> list within any application. The NAS? I get frequent error messages
>> on the laptop. Similar to . . .
>> "Drive Letter Conflict.
>> The drive xxxxx has no letter assigned to it. The to either dismount
>> or mount."
>> The NAS drives show in Computer Management but all I can do is access
>> Properties.
>> How do I get the laptop to find the printer and NAS?
>> Vista Home Premium. Norton Protection Center.
>> Network consists of a desktop, cable modem, printer and a Netgear
>> XE104 plugged in to my router.
>> Laptop is plugged into an XE104 in a room seperate from the desktop.
>> Netgear SC101 plugged into an XE104 in another room separate from the
>> desktop and laptop.

>>and individually install it on each computer.

Well, that part was easy. Works perfectly. Now on to NAS networking.