Networking & sharing

Misha

Networking & sharing
I have a wireless network consisting of 4 computers :
A Main Computer Desktop Windows Vista HP (connected to router via cable)
B Desktop Windows Vista HP Wireless
C Desktop Windows XP Wireless
D Notebook Windows Vista Ultimate Wireless
I had a network running successfully on these computers; however I had to
replace Computer B with a computer also running Vista HP. I connected the new
one to the network and although the other computers can see Computer B, they
cannot access any files from them; also, Computer B can see the other
computers on the network but cannot aces their files. The message says
"C" is available but the user account that you are logged on with was
denied access....Make sure you typed the path correctly and you have
permission to access the shared folder. Howeber the shared printers work OK
and Internet acces is avialble on al computers.
The user account and password on all four computers are the same, as are the
settings in the Network & Sharing Centre.
Please help. Thank you.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Networking & sharing
Do you have other firewall or security software beside windows firewall?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Misha" <Misha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a wireless network consisting of 4 computers :
> A Main Computer Desktop Windows Vista HP (connected to router via cable)
> B Desktop Windows Vista HP Wireless
> C Desktop Windows XP Wireless
> D Notebook Windows Vista Ultimate Wireless
> I had a network running successfully on these computers; however I had to
> replace Computer B with a computer also running Vista HP. I connected the
> new
> one to the network and although the other computers can see Computer B,
> they
> cannot access any files from them; also, Computer B can see the other
> computers on the network but cannot aces their files. The message says
> "C" is available but the user account that you are logged on with was
> denied access....Make sure you typed the path correctly and you have
> permission to access the shared folder. Howeber the shared printers work
> OK
> and Internet acces is avialble on al computers.
> The user account and password on all four computers are the same, as are
> the
> settings in the Network & Sharing Centre.
> Please help. Thank you.

Misha

Re: Networking & sharing
No, only Windows firewall, which I have not modified.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Do you have other firewall or security software beside windows firewall?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Misha" <Misha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a wireless network consisting of 4 computers :
> > A Main Computer Desktop Windows Vista HP (connected to router via cable)
> > B Desktop Windows Vista HP Wireless
> > C Desktop Windows XP Wireless
> > D Notebook Windows Vista Ultimate Wireless
> > I had a network running successfully on these computers; however I had to
> > replace Computer B with a computer also running Vista HP. I connected the
> > new
> > one to the network and although the other computers can see Computer B,
> > they
> > cannot access any files from them; also, Computer B can see the other
> > computers on the network but cannot aces their files. The message says
> > "C" is available but the user account that you are logged on with was
> > denied access....Make sure you typed the path correctly and you have
> > permission to access the shared folder. Howeber the shared printers work
> > OK
> > and Internet acces is avialble on al computers.
> > The user account and password on all four computers are the same, as are
> > the
> > settings in the Network & Sharing Centre.
> > Please help. Thank you.

Misha

Re: Networking & sharing
I just realised that when I got the new computer the computer shop had given
it my first name. I renamed it to 'Office' in the Control Panel. Should this
name be changed in the Registry as well? If so, how do I do that?
Thanks

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Do you have other firewall or security software beside windows firewall?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Misha" <Misha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a wireless network consisting of 4 computers :
> > A Main Computer Desktop Windows Vista HP (connected to router via cable)
> > B Desktop Windows Vista HP Wireless
> > C Desktop Windows XP Wireless
> > D Notebook Windows Vista Ultimate Wireless
> > I had a network running successfully on these computers; however I had to
> > replace Computer B with a computer also running Vista HP. I connected the
> > new
> > one to the network and although the other computers can see Computer B,
> > they
> > cannot access any files from them; also, Computer B can see the other
> > computers on the network but cannot aces their files. The message says
> > "C" is available but the user account that you are logged on with was
> > denied access....Make sure you typed the path correctly and you have
> > permission to access the shared folder. Howeber the shared printers work
> > OK
> > and Internet acces is avialble on al computers.
> > The user account and password on all four computers are the same, as are
> > the
> > settings in the Network & Sharing Centre.
> > Please help. Thank you.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Networking & sharing
Hi
On each Vista computer log to control Panel/System.
In the center of the system screen you would see the Network
http://www.ezlan.net/vista/vs-sys.jpg
Make the same on all computers (if needed click on Change).
In Win XP right click on the My computer Icon and choose properties the
Network credentials are in one of the tabs.
http://www.ezlan.net/network/net-name.jpg
When this is done.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Misha" <Misha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a wireless network consisting of 4 computers :
> A Main Computer Desktop Windows Vista HP (connected to router via cable)
> B Desktop Windows Vista HP Wireless
> C Desktop Windows XP Wireless
> D Notebook Windows Vista Ultimate Wireless
> I had a network running successfully on these computers; however I had to
> replace Computer B with a computer also running Vista HP. I connected the
> new
> one to the network and although the other computers can see Computer B,
> they
> cannot access any files from them; also, Computer B can see the other
> computers on the network but cannot aces their files. The message says
> "C" is available but the user account that you are logged on with was
> denied access....Make sure you typed the path correctly and you have
> permission to access the shared folder. Howeber the shared printers work
> OK
> and Internet acces is avialble on al computers.
> The user account and password on all four computers are the same, as are
> the
> settings in the Network & Sharing Centre.
> Please help. Thank you.

Misha

Re: Networking & sharing
I have gone through and tried all the suggestions to no avail.
When I set up the network originally, before I got the new desktop, I was
running Vista, without SP1. When I later upgraded to SP1, the network was not
affected. However, the new computer came with SP1. Would there be some kind
of security setting that needs to be addressed? I realise I don't know much
about it and may be clutching at straws, but am becoming very frustrated with
this.
Thanks