XP can't access files on Vista

T.J.

XP can't access files on Vista
Hi,
I have a home network with two computers connected via a router. My xp/sp3
box can't access the directory that I made public. On the Vista laptop in
network and sharing I set the password protected sharing to off. When I left
password protected sharing to on, I can't access anything on the laptop.
Setting the password protected sharing to off lets me see all of the shared
directories on my xp box. I can open the public directory and access files
with no problem, but when I open the other directory that I have shared i get
the following error "\\Laptop\pictures" is not available, you might not have
permission..." on my xp box when I try and open it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mick Murphy

RE: XP can't access files on Vista
Below is the way I network them.
Have a read.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"T.J." wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a home network with two computers connected via a router. My xp/sp3
> box can't access the directory that I made public. On the Vista laptop in
> network and sharing I set the password protected sharing to off. When I left
> password protected sharing to on, I can't access anything on the laptop.
> Setting the password protected sharing to off lets me see all of the shared
> directories on my xp box. I can open the public directory and access files
> with no problem, but when I open the other directory that I have shared i get
> the following error "\\Laptop\pictures" is not available, you might not have
> permission..." on my xp box when I try and open it.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,

swoopeluv is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: XP can't access files on Vista
Hi all, I have this exact same problem also...My laptop with Vista on it worked fine, really easy. But I can't seem to access my laptop on my XP PC. I currently have my C: hard drive & the public folder shared (on my laptop), but the Public folder offers full access, and when I try to access the C: drive, I get this error:

\\[hard drive] is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the Administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied.

Like the OP said, I turned off password protection & everything...i'm guessing its an XP/Vista incompatibility, anyone have further help or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!