Why do I see a folder called Default and sub-folders from the XPmachines

tek

Why do I see a folder called Default and sub-folders from the XPmachines
I just purchased a new Vista HP laptop from Compaq. The network is
setup and working fine. I'm sharing folders across a mixed network of
Linux and XP machines. I can access and mount my Vista shares to Linux
and XP with no issues.

There's just few querky things I noticed about sharing folders in
Vista. I click to open "My Network Places" from a XP machine and I see
two folders, one is "Users" and the other is "Default". First, I
didn't actually tell Vista to share "Users" but I selected sub-folders
underneath "Users" to share. Namely, "Contacts", "Favorites", and
"Documents". I'm sharing these folders so I can back them up on the
Linux machine. So from "My Network Places" on XP that's what I
expected to see when I clicked open the Vista machine name but, I see
"Users" first. I'm also sharing the "Windows Mail" folder for backup.
So I also see each sub-folder name leading to "Windows Mail".

In the XP world I would select a folder to share and give the share a
name and it would be available with that share name under the machine
name in "My Network Place" without any sub-folders being visible. Is
this the new and improved Windows networking I have to live with?

Secondly, at the same level of "Users" when I open the Vista namchine
name in "My Network Places" I see the "Default" folder. I never
understood why there is a "Default" user account ini Windows but
that's another story. Why is this folder visible since I did nothing
to share it?
Steve Winograd

Re: Why do I see a folder called Default and sub-folders from the XP machines
On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 09:16:42 -0700 (PDT), tek <kevindu28@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I just purchased a new Vista HP laptop from Compaq. The network is
>setup and working fine. I'm sharing folders across a mixed network of
>Linux and XP machines. I can access and mount my Vista shares to Linux
>and XP with no issues.
>
>There's just few querky things I noticed about sharing folders in
>Vista. I click to open "My Network Places" from a XP machine and I see
>two folders, one is "Users" and the other is "Default". First, I
>didn't actually tell Vista to share "Users" but I selected sub-folders
>underneath "Users" to share. Namely, "Contacts", "Favorites", and
>"Documents". I'm sharing these folders so I can back them up on the
>Linux machine. So from "My Network Places" on XP that's what I
>expected to see when I clicked open the Vista machine name but, I see
>"Users" first. I'm also sharing the "Windows Mail" folder for backup.
>So I also see each sub-folder name leading to "Windows Mail".
>
>In the XP world I would select a folder to share and give the share a
>name and it would be available with that share name under the machine
>name in "My Network Place" without any sub-folders being visible. Is
>this the new and improved Windows networking I have to live with?
>
>Secondly, at the same level of "Users" when I open the Vista namchine
>name in "My Network Places" I see the "Default" folder. I never
>understood why there is a "Default" user account ini Windows but
>that's another story. Why is this folder visible since I did nothing
>to share it?

There's a bug in Vista that causes it to share the entire Users folder
when you tell it to share a sub-folder. Browse to the Users folder
and un-share it, then follow these steps to share the desired
sub-folders:

1. Browse to a sub-folder and right-click it.
2. Click Properties.
3. Click the Sharing tab.
4. Click Advanced Sharing.
5. Put a check mark in the "Share this folder" box.
6. Specify the share name.
7. If desired, click Permissions and define access permissions.
8. Click OK.
9. Click Close.

I don't know why your computer has a shared Default folder -- I don't
see one on my Vista computers. Browse to the Default folder and
un-share it.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
tek

On Aug 5, 3:05*pm, Steve Winograd <bc0705...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 09:16:42 -0700 (PDT), tek <kevind...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >I just purchased a new Vista HP laptop from Compaq. The network is
> >setup and working fine. I'm sharing folders across a mixed network of
> >Linux and XP machines. I can access and mount my Vista shares to Linux
> >and XP with no issues.

> >There's just few querky things I noticed about sharing folders in
> >Vista. I click to open "My Network Places" from a XP machine and I see
> >two folders, one is "Users" and the other is "Default". First, I
> >didn't actually tell Vista to share "Users" but I selected sub-folders
> >underneath "Users" to share. Namely, "Contacts", "Favorites", and
> >"Documents". I'm sharing these folders so I can back them up on the
> >Linux machine. So from "My Network Places" on XP that's what I
> >expected to see when I clicked open the Vista machine name but, I see
> >"Users" first. *I'm also sharing the "Windows Mail" folder for backup.
> >So I also see each sub-folder name leading to "Windows Mail".

> >In the XP world I would select a folder to share and give the share a
> >name and it would be available with that share name under the machine
> >name in "My Network Place" without any sub-folders being visible. Is
> >this the new and improved Windows networking I have to live with?

> >Secondly, at the same level of "Users" when I open the Vista namchine
> >name in "My Network Places" I see the "Default" folder. I never
> >understood why there is a "Default" user account ini Windows but
> >that's another story. Why is this folder visible since I did nothing
> >to share it?

> There's a bug in Vista that causes it to share the entire Users folder
> when you tell it to share a sub-folder. *Browse to the Users folder
> and un-share it, then follow these steps to share the desired
> sub-folders:
>
> 1. Browse to a sub-folder and right-click it.
> 2. Click Properties.
> 3. Click the Sharing tab.
> 4. Click Advanced Sharing.
> 5. Put a check mark in the "Share this folder" box.
> 6. Specify the share name.
> 7. If desired, click Permissions and define access permissions.
> 8. Click OK.
> 9. Click Close.
>
> I don't know why your computer has a shared Default folder -- I don't
> see one on my Vista computers. *Browse to the Default folder and
> un-share it.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> for everyone to see. *I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
>
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Programhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, I'll give your instruction a try. The Default folder is only
seen when I access the Vista machine from My Network Places on the XP
machine. How weird?
tek

On Aug 5, 4:26*pm, tek <kevind...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > 6. Specify the share name.
> > 7. If desired, click Permissions and define access permissions.
> > 8. Click OK.
> > 9. Click Close.

> > I don't know why your computer has a shared Default folder -- I don't
> > see one on my Vista computers. *Browse to the Default folder and
> > un-share it.
> > --
> > Best Wishes,
> > Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

> > Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
> > for everyone to see. *I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
> > addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

> > Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Programhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com-Hide quoted text -

> Thanks, I'll give your instruction a try. The Default folder is only
> seen when I access the Vista machine from My Network Places on the XP

So basically I go to my XP machine, open My Network Places and find
the Vista machine. I see the User folder and underneath is two more
folders. First is the Default (user) folder and the other is Main
(user) folder.

example: \\Vistahp\Users\Default

I can navigate into the Default folder and I see a number of files and
folders. I did not set this up to be shared from Vista but its doing
it any way. Must be another sharing bug. Let me add that on my XP
machine my folder options are set to vie hidden system files and
folders. I believe Default is a hidden folder on Vista but it
shouldn't be shared unless I configure it that way,right?

tek

On Aug 5, 6:16*pm, tek <kevind...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 5, 4:26*pm, tek <kevind...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 5, 3:05*pm, Steve Winograd <bc0705...@comcast.net> wrote:

> > > There's a bug in Vista that causes it to share the entire Users folder
> > > when you tell it to share a sub-folder. *Browse to the Users folder
> > > and un-share it, then follow these steps to share the desired
> > > sub-folders:

> > > 1. Browse to a sub-folder and right-click it.
> > > 2. Click Properties.
> > > 3. Click the Sharing tab.
> > > 4. Click Advanced Sharing.
> > > 5. Put a check mark in the "Share this folder" box.
> > > 6. Specify the share name.
> > > 7. If desired, click Permissions and define access permissions.
> > > 8. Click OK.
> > > 9. Click Close.

> > > I don't know why your computer has a shared Default folder -- I don't
> > > see one on my Vista computers. *Browse to the Default folder and
> > > un-share it.
> > > --
> > > Best Wishes,
> > > Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

> > > Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
> > > for everyone to see. *I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
> > > addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

> > > Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Programhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com-Hidequoted text -

> > Thanks, I'll give your instruction a try. The Default folder is only
> > seen when I access the Vista machine from My Network Places on the XP
> > machine. How weird?- Hide quoted text -

> So basically I go to my XP machine, open My Network Places and find
> the Vista machine. I see the User folder and underneath is two more
> folders. First is the Default (user) folder and the other is Main
> (user) folder.
>
> example: *\\Vistahp\Users\Default
>
> I can navigate into the Default folder and I see a number of files and
> folders. I did not set this up to be shared from Vista but its doing
> it any way. Must be another sharing bug. Let me add that on my XP
> machine my folder options are set to vie hidden system files and
> folders. *I believe Default is a hidden folder on Vista but it
> shouldn't be shared unless I configure it that way,right?- Hide quoted text -

Ack! It did't work. Well it half way worked. I'm able to create the
share and it is displayed as \\vistahp\wmail which is what I wanted
(excluding all the sub-folders) but when I try to access it I get the
"permission denied... call your administrator..." donkey noise. The
permissions on the share are set to everyone with full control too.

Oh back to the Default folder. When I turned on view hidden folders/
files from Vista I can see the Default folder within it's Network
Places also including the Public folder. Although the Public folder
isn't visible across the network. Seems like there plenty of security
issues within networking that have to be resolved.

tek

On Aug 5, 6:57*pm, tek <kevind...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 5, 6:16*pm, tek <kevind...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks, I'll give your instruction a try. The Default folder is only
> > > seen when I access the Vista machine from My Network Places on the XP
> > > machine. How weird?- Hide quoted text -

> > So basically I go to my XP machine, open My Network Places and find
> > the Vista machine. I see the User folder and underneath is two more
> > folders. First is the Default (user) folder and the other is Main
> > (user) folder.

> > example: *\\Vistahp\Users\Default

> > I can navigate into the Default folder and I see a number of files and
> > folders. I did not set this up to be shared from Vista but its doing
> > it any way. Must be another sharing bug. Let me add that on my XP
> > machine my folder options are set to vie hidden system files and
> > folders. *I believe Default is a hidden folder on Vista but it
> > shouldn't be shared unless I configure it that way,right?- Hide quoted text -

> Ack! *It did't work. Well it half way worked. I'm able to create the
> share and it is displayed as \\vistahp\wmail which is what I wanted
> (excluding all the sub-folders) but when I try to access it I get the
> "permission denied... call your administrator..." donkey noise. *The
> permissions on the share are set to everyone with full control too.
>
> Oh back to the Default folder. When I turned on view hidden folders/
> files from Vista I can see the Default folder within it's Network
> Places also including the Public folder. Although the Public folder
> isn't visible across the network. Seems like there plenty of security
> issues within networking that have to be resolved.- Hide quoted text -

I decided to not worry about accessing the shares from XP. My main
purpose is to be able to execute the backups to a Linux machines
anyways. With Samba I can connect to the shares and mount them without
any problems in reading the content of the folders as long as I
connect using the logon/password of the Vista user on the Vista
machine.

From Linux my mount points are:
//vistahp/contacts 144263668 41383192 102880476 29% /mnt/vistahp/
contacts
//vistahp/cookies 144263668 41383192 102880476 29% /mnt/vistahp/
cookies
//vistahp/corel 144263668 41383192 102880476 29% /mnt/vistahp/
corel
//vistahp/documents 144263668 41383192 102880476 29% /mnt/vistahp/
documents
//vistahp/favorites 144263668 41383192 102880476 29% /mnt/vistahp/
favorites
//vistahp/wmail 144263668 41383192 102880476 29% /mnt/vistahp/
wmail

Now I'm able to read these directoies and backup the data. And I don't
have to worry about the sub-folders being visible within c:\users\Main

Man, I hope MS resolves this soon and get back to the XP way of
sharing, hehehehe.

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 15:57:10 -0700 (PDT), tek <kevindu28@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Ack! It did't work. Well it half way worked. I'm able to create the
>share and it is displayed as \\vistahp\wmail which is what I wanted
>(excluding all the sub-folders) but when I try to access it I get the
>"permission denied... call your administrator..." donkey noise. The
>permissions on the share are set to everyone with full control too.

"Everyone" permission doesn't give universal access. The "Everyone"
group only contains users who have an account on the Vista computer.
Create user account(s) on Vista with the same user name(s) and
password(s) that you use to log onto the other computer(s).

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 15:16:02 -0700 (PDT), tek <kevindu28@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> > [snip]
>> > I don't know why your computer has a shared Default folder -- I don't
>> > see one on my Vista computers. *Browse to the Default folder and
>> > un-share it.
>> > --
>> > Best Wishes,
>> > Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

>> > Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
>> > for everyone to see. *I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
>> > addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

>> > Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Programhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com-Hide quoted text -

>> Thanks, I'll give your instruction a try. The Default folder is only
>> seen when I access the Vista machine from My Network Places on the XP
>> machine. How weird?
>> [snip]

>So basically I go to my XP machine, open My Network Places and find
>the Vista machine. I see the User folder and underneath is two more
>folders. First is the Default (user) folder and the other is Main
>(user) folder.
>
>example: \\Vistahp\Users\Default
>
>I can navigate into the Default folder and I see a number of files and
>folders. I did not set this up to be shared from Vista but its doing
>it any way. Must be another sharing bug. Let me add that on my XP
>machine my folder options are set to vie hidden system files and
>folders. I believe Default is a hidden folder on Vista but it
>shouldn't be shared unless I configure it that way,right?

Sharing a folder automatically makes its subfolders visible over the
network.

I suspect that there's a user account named "Default" on your Vista
computer. That would create a "Default" folder under the "Users"
folder, and the "Default" folder would contain folders named
"Contacts", "Desktop", "Documents", "Download", etc.

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 20:47:11 -0700 (PDT), tek <kevindu28@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>[snip]
>I decided to not worry about accessing the shares from XP. My main
>purpose is to be able to execute the backups to a Linux machines
>anyways. With Samba I can connect to the shares and mount them without
>any problems in reading the content of the folders as long as I
>connect using the logon/password of the Vista user on the Vista
>machine.
>
>From Linux my mount points are:
>//vistahp/contacts 144263668 41383192 102880476 29% /mnt/vistahp/
>contacts
>//vistahp/cookies 144263668 41383192 102880476 29% /mnt/vistahp/
>cookies
>//vistahp/corel 144263668 41383192 102880476 29% /mnt/vistahp/
>corel
>//vistahp/documents 144263668 41383192 102880476 29% /mnt/vistahp/
>documents
>//vistahp/favorites 144263668 41383192 102880476 29% /mnt/vistahp/
>favorites
>//vistahp/wmail 144263668 41383192 102880476 29% /mnt/vistahp/
>wmail
>
>Now I'm able to read these directoies and backup the data. And I don't
>have to worry about the sub-folders being visible within c:\users\Main
>
>Man, I hope MS resolves this soon and get back to the XP way of
>sharing, hehehehe.

The reason that you can access Vista from Linux is that you log onto
both of them with the same user name and password. You can access
Vista's shares from XP, too, if you do either of these:

1. Log onto XP with the same user name and password that you use to
log onto Vista.

or:

2. Create a user account on Vista with the same user name and password
that you use to log onto XP.

On Aug 6, 2:41*am, Steve Winograd <bc0705...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 20:47:11 -0700 (PDT), tek <kevind...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >[snip]
> >I decided to not worry about accessing the shares from XP. *My main
> >purpose is to be able to execute the backups to a Linux machines
> >anyways. With Samba I can connect to the shares and mount them without
> >any problems in reading the content of the folders as long as I
> >connect using the logon/password of the Vista user on the Vista
> >machine.

> >From Linux my mount points are:
> >//vistahp/contacts * 144263668 *41383192 102880476 *29% /mnt/vistahp/
> >contacts
> >//vistahp/cookies * *144263668 *41383192 102880476 *29% /mnt/vistahp/
> >cookies
> >//vistahp/corel * * *144263668 *41383192 102880476 *29% /mnt/vistahp/
> >corel
> >//vistahp/documents *144263668 *41383192 102880476 *29% /mnt/vistahp/
> >documents
> >//vistahp/favorites *144263668 *41383192 102880476 *29% /mnt/vistahp/
> >favorites
> >//vistahp/wmail * * *144263668 *41383192 102880476 *29% /mnt/vistahp/
> >wmail

> >Now I'm able to read these directoies and backup the data. And I don't
> >have to worry about the sub-folders being visible within c:\users\Main

> >Man, I hope MS resolves this soon and get back to the XP way of
> >sharing, hehehehe.

> The reason that you can access Vista from Linux is that you log onto
> both of them with the same user name and password. *You can access
> Vista's shares from XP, too, if you do either of these:
>
> 1. Log onto XP with the same user name and password that you use to
> log onto Vista.
>
> or:
>
> 2. Create a user account on Vista with the same user name and password
> that you use to log onto XP.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> for everyone to see. *I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
>
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Programhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com- Hide quoted text -

Maybe the Default folder location is related to the Guest user account?