Can see XP computer from my new Vista computer, but cannot connect

Echoes1313

Can see XP computer from my new Vista computer, but cannot connect
I just built a new desktop computer and put Vista x64 Home premium on it. I
can connect to my house's wireless network, and would like to a. add the
printer and b. connect to the old XP Pro desktop. If I go to network, I can
see the computer, but when I click on it I get this error:

Windows cannot access \\xpcomputer

Check the spelling of the name etc.

(Details):
Error code: 0x80070005
Access is denied.

The thing is, it never asks me to sign in with an account. It gives me the
option of Diagnose or Cancel. Diagnose doesn't do anything.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can supply more info as needed but am not
sure exactly what to put here now. Thanks for your help.
Mick Murphy

RE: Can see XP computer from my new Vista computer, but cannot connect
A bit of info about Networking XP and Vista.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Echoes1313" wrote:

> I just built a new desktop computer and put Vista x64 Home premium on it. I
> can connect to my house's wireless network, and would like to a. add the
> printer and b. connect to the old XP Pro desktop. If I go to network, I can
> see the computer, but when I click on it I get this error:
>
> Windows cannot access \\xpcomputer
>
> Check the spelling of the name etc.
>
> (Details):
> Error code: 0x80070005
> Access is denied.
>

> The thing is, it never asks me to sign in with an account. It gives me the
> option of Diagnose or Cancel. Diagnose doesn't do anything.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? I can supply more info as needed but am not
> sure exactly what to put here now. Thanks for your help.

Echoes1313

RE: Can see XP computer from my new Vista computer, but cannot connect
Mick-

I tried all of the advice that you gave, and definitely thank you for
it but it did not work. I ran the network setup wizard again but to no
avail. Though I did have the Password Protection ON on this computer (the
Vista desktop.) I changed that but nothing.

I actually found that tutorial before and tried everything on it, but
it still didn't help. I can connect to other computers on the network, just
not the one with the printer. All of the computers have MSHOME as the
workgroup. Any more ideas?

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> A bit of info about Networking XP and Vista.

> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
>
> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how their
> Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords (passwords can be different) on ALL computers in your Network) If
> you have it ON, you will be asked for a username and password when you try to
> access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
> Wizard to include Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network
> set up prior to adding a Vista computer to it(redoing the Wizard seems to
> work for XP machines!).
>
> In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> and Printer Sharing.
>
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "Echoes1313" wrote:
>
> > I just built a new desktop computer and put Vista x64 Home premium on it. I
> > can connect to my house's wireless network, and would like to a. add the
> > printer and b. connect to the old XP Pro desktop. If I go to network, I can
> > see the computer, but when I click on it I get this error:
> >
> > Windows cannot access \\xpcomputer
> >
> > Check the spelling of the name etc.
> >
> > (Details):
> > Error code: 0x80070005
> > Access is denied.
> >

> > The thing is, it never asks me to sign in with an account. It gives me the
> > option of Diagnose or Cancel. Diagnose doesn't do anything.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas? I can supply more info as needed but am not
> > sure exactly what to put here now. Thanks for your help.

Spaceman

Re: Can see XP computer from my new Vista computer, but cannot connect
Hi Echoes
Can the other computers on your network print to that computer?

"Echoes1313" <Echoes1313@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > the
>> > printer and b. connect to the old XP Pro desktop. If I go to network,
>> > I can
>> > see the computer, but when I click on it I get this error:
>> >
>> > Windows cannot access \\xpcomputer
>> >
>> > Check the spelling of the name etc.
>> >
>> > (Details):
>> > Error code: 0x80070005
>> > Access is denied.
>> >

>> > The thing is, it never asks me to sign in with an account. It gives me
>> > the
>> > option of Diagnose or Cancel. Diagnose doesn't do anything.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any ideas? I can supply more info as needed but am
>> > not
>> > sure exactly what to put here now. Thanks for your help.

Echoes1313

Re: Can see XP computer from my new Vista computer, but cannot con
Yes, all of the others can including my old laptop. They can still
successfully print and connect to each other. Any more ideas?

"Spaceman" wrote:

> Hi Echoes
> Can the other computers on your network print to that computer?
>

> "Echoes1313" <Echoes1313@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Mick-
> >
> > I tried all of the advice that you gave, and definitely thank you for
> > it but it did not work. I ran the network setup wizard again but to no
> > avail. Though I did have the Password Protection ON on this computer (the
> > Vista desktop.) I changed that but nothing.
> >
> > I actually found that tutorial before and tried everything on it, but
> > it still didn't help. I can connect to other computers on the network,
> > just
> > not the one with the printer. All of the computers have MSHOME as the
> > workgroup. Any more ideas?
> >
> > "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> >
> >> A bit of info about Networking XP and Vista.
> >>
> >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
> >>
> >> Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing.
> >>
> >> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
> >>
> >> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> >> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how
> >> their
> >> Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)
> >>
> >> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers
> >> is
> >> the SAME.
> >>
> >> In Vista Network and Sharing:
> >>
> >> Network Discovery: ON (So it can see the other computers)
> >>
> >> Network set to Private (Public is for hotspots, airports, etc)
> >>
> >> File Sharing: ON
> >>
> >> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s
> >> Shared
> >> Docs)
> >>
> >> Password Protected: OFF (unless you want to set up identical usernames
> >> and
> >> passwords (passwords can be different) on ALL computers in your Network)
> >> If
> >> you have it ON, you will be asked for a username and password when you
> >> try to
> >> access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista computer.
> >>
> >> Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
> >> Wizard to include Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP
> >> Network
> >> set up prior to adding a Vista computer to it(redoing the Wizard seems to
> >> work for XP machines!).
> >>
> >> In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> >> OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> >> and Printer Sharing.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

killerb255

Echoes1313;798277 Wrote:
> Yes, all of the others can including my old laptop. They can still
> successfully print and connect to each other. Any more ideas?

Have you tried accessing the PC by its IP address?

Instead of *\\xpcomputer* try *\\123.45.67.89* (or whatever its IP
address is)

--
killerb255
Spaceman

Re: Can see XP computer from my new Vista computer, but cannot con
I think you should try these three things.
First do what Killerb just asked,
See if you can connect with the IP address,
If you can, move to the next thing here.

Go the the computer with the printer,
Make a new folder and share it.
And disable the printer sharing and leave it like that for a bit.

See if you can now access that new shared folder from the
problem Vista machine.
If you can't, let me know and forget below for now.

If you can, enable the printer sharing again and see if that is now
showing up when you open the share from the Vista comp.

--
James M Driscoll Jr
MCTS (Vista)

> Yes, all of the others can including my old laptop. They can still
> successfully print and connect to each other. Any more ideas?

Echoes1313

Re: Can see XP computer from my new Vista computer, but cannot con
I can't connect with the IP address, so I can even see the shared folders on
the computer with the printer from my Vista comp. What other information can
I give that may help?

"Spaceman" wrote:

> I think you should try these three things.
> First do what Killerb just asked,
> See if you can connect with the IP address,
> If you can, move to the next thing here.
>
> Go the the computer with the printer,
> Make a new folder and share it.
> And disable the printer sharing and leave it like that for a bit.
>
> See if you can now access that new shared folder from the
> problem Vista machine.
> If you can't, let me know and forget below for now.
>
> If you can, enable the printer sharing again and see if that is now
> showing up when you open the share from the Vista comp.
>
> --
> James M Driscoll Jr
> MCTS (Vista)
> Spaceman
>

> "Echoes1313" <Echoes1313@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, all of the others can including my old laptop. They can still
> > successfully print and connect to each other. Any more ideas?

Echoes1313

Re: Can see XP computer from my new Vista computer, but cannot con
Yes, I just tried it. It now gives the same error, but with the IP address
instead of the name. Same error number and still says "Access is denied."

"killerb255" wrote:

> Echoes1313;798277 Wrote:
> > Yes, all of the others can including my old laptop. They can still
> > successfully print and connect to each other. Any more ideas?
> >

> Have you tried accessing the PC by its IP address?
>
> Instead of *\\xpcomputer* try *\\123.45.67.89* (or whatever its IP
> address is)
>

> --
> killerb255

Spaceman

Re: Can see XP computer from my new Vista computer, but cannot con
When you look at Control Panel
Network and Internet
Network and Sharing Center.
Does it say public next to the netwrk name?
Try clicking customize and set it to private even if it
says such already or not.
click next and close and close the Newtork and Sharing Center
while it is identifying.
Give it half a minute then re-open it and click
on
View Computers and Devices on the left hand side there.
See what it says or shows after that.