Vista Networking - Server service is not started

gunnersboy

Vista Networking - Server service is not started
Problem Description: Senario - Three Computers. One desktop XP computer, one
desktop Vista computer and one laptop Vista computer. All set up to share
files or drives on the network. Network connected via "Workgroup".

Problem - When trying to access from the laptop to the Vista desktop I
receive the error message:

You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The
server service is not started

Now the strange thing about this is that it doesn't happen all the time.
After booting the Vista laptop up and trying to access the Vista desktop it
works fine. Then after a certain amount of time (which isn't tied to any
activity) it provides the error message above when trying to access. The XP
desktop can still access the Vista desktop so I've come to the conclusion it
has to be something to do with the laptop. Once the error message has been
displayed it won't let me back in until the laptop is restarted. Another
strange thing to note is that when typing in //192.168.0.20 (the IP address
of the Vista desktop) it lets me in. But clicking on the name of the computer
in the Network section of Vista still gives the error message.

I've looked in the "services" section and the server service is started and
working on both machines. I've done alot of Google search on the net and can
find very little about this for Vista setups. Most of seem to be for XP.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Networking - Server service is not started
It could be computer browser issue. Any errors in the event viewer?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"gunnersboy" <gunnersboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Problem Description: Senario - Three Computers. One desktop XP computer,
> one
> desktop Vista computer and one laptop Vista computer. All set up to share
> files or drives on the network. Network connected via "Workgroup".
>
> Problem - When trying to access from the laptop to the Vista desktop I
> receive the error message:
>
> You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
> administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
> The
> server service is not started
>
> Now the strange thing about this is that it doesn't happen all the time.
> After booting the Vista laptop up and trying to access the Vista desktop
> it
> works fine. Then after a certain amount of time (which isn't tied to any
> activity) it provides the error message above when trying to access. The
> XP
> desktop can still access the Vista desktop so I've come to the conclusion
> it
> has to be something to do with the laptop. Once the error message has been
> displayed it won't let me back in until the laptop is restarted. Another
> strange thing to note is that when typing in //192.168.0.20 (the IP
> address
> of the Vista desktop) it lets me in. But clicking on the name of the
> computer
> in the Network section of Vista still gives the error message.
>
> I've looked in the "services" section and the server service is started
> and
> working on both machines. I've done alot of Google search on the net and
> can
> find very little about this for Vista setups. Most of seem to be for XP.

gunnersboy

Re: Vista Networking - Server service is not started
Can't say I'm 100% familiar with the event viewer. Where abouts would I find
an error message in the event viewer for the computer browser?

Thanks for the quick reply. I've posted on other forums and this has stumped
everyone that's come across it. Short of doing a re-install which I really
don't want to do I've run out of ideas!

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> It could be computer browser issue. Any errors in the event viewer?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "gunnersboy" <gunnersboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Problem Description: Senario - Three Computers. One desktop XP computer,
> > one
> > desktop Vista computer and one laptop Vista computer. All set up to share
> > files or drives on the network. Network connected via "Workgroup".
> >
> > Problem - When trying to access from the laptop to the Vista desktop I
> > receive the error message:
> >
> > You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
> > administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
> > The
> > server service is not started
> >
> > Now the strange thing about this is that it doesn't happen all the time.
> > After booting the Vista laptop up and trying to access the Vista desktop
> > it
> > works fine. Then after a certain amount of time (which isn't tied to any
> > activity) it provides the error message above when trying to access. The
> > XP
> > desktop can still access the Vista desktop so I've come to the conclusion
> > it
> > has to be something to do with the laptop. Once the error message has been
> > displayed it won't let me back in until the laptop is restarted. Another
> > strange thing to note is that when typing in //192.168.0.20 (the IP
> > address
> > of the Vista desktop) it lets me in. But clicking on the name of the
> > computer
> > in the Network section of Vista still gives the error message.
> >
> > I've looked in the "services" section and the server service is started
> > and
> > working on both machines. I've done alot of Google search on the net and
> > can
> > find very little about this for Vista setups. Most of seem to be for XP.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Networking - Server service is not started
Open the Event Viewer. Select System and check and error and warning.

--
> Can't say I'm 100% familiar with the event viewer. Where abouts would I
> find
> an error message in the event viewer for the computer browser?
>
> Thanks for the quick reply. I've posted on other forums and this has
> stumped
> everyone that's come across it. Short of doing a re-install which I really
> don't want to do I've run out of ideas!
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> It could be computer browser issue. Any errors in the event viewer?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "gunnersboy" <gunnersboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Problem Description: Senario - Three Computers. One desktop XP
>> > computer,
>> > one
>> > desktop Vista computer and one laptop Vista computer. All set up to
>> > share
>> > files or drives on the network. Network connected via "Workgroup".
>> >
>> > Problem - When trying to access from the laptop to the Vista desktop I
>> > receive the error message:
>> >
>> > You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
>> > administrator of this server to find out if you have access
>> > permissions.
>> > The
>> > server service is not started
>> >
>> > Now the strange thing about this is that it doesn't happen all the
>> > time.
>> > After booting the Vista laptop up and trying to access the Vista
>> > desktop
>> > it
>> > works fine. Then after a certain amount of time (which isn't tied to
>> > any
>> > activity) it provides the error message above when trying to access.
>> > The
>> > XP
>> > desktop can still access the Vista desktop so I've come to the
>> > conclusion
>> > it
>> > has to be something to do with the laptop. Once the error message has
>> > been
>> > displayed it won't let me back in until the laptop is restarted.
>> > Another
>> > strange thing to note is that when typing in //192.168.0.20 (the IP
>> > address
>> > of the Vista desktop) it lets me in. But clicking on the name of the
>> > computer
>> > in the Network section of Vista still gives the error message.
>> >
>> > I've looked in the "services" section and the server service is started
>> > and
>> > working on both machines. I've done alot of Google search on the net
>> > and
>> > can
>> > find very little about this for Vista setups. Most of seem to be for
>> > XP.

gunnersboy

Re: Vista Networking - Server service is not started
OK thanks for th reply. Have looked in the event viewer and nothing is there
regarding any errors with the server service or computer browser. Hopefully
we can get to the bottom of this!

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Open the Event Viewer. Select System and check and error and warning.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "gunnersboy" <gunnersboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can't say I'm 100% familiar with the event viewer. Where abouts would I
> > find
> > an error message in the event viewer for the computer browser?
> >
> > Thanks for the quick reply. I've posted on other forums and this has
> > stumped
> > everyone that's come across it. Short of doing a re-install which I really
> > don't want to do I've run out of ideas!
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> It could be computer browser issue. Any errors in the event viewer?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Networking - Server service is not started
In Vista desktop, run "net view", what do you receive?

--
> OK thanks for th reply. Have looked in the event viewer and nothing is
> there
> regarding any errors with the server service or computer browser.
> Hopefully
> we can get to the bottom of this!
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Open the Event Viewer. Select System and check and error and warning.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "gunnersboy" <gunnersboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Can't say I'm 100% familiar with the event viewer. Where abouts would I
>> > find
>> > an error message in the event viewer for the computer browser?
>> >
>> > Thanks for the quick reply. I've posted on other forums and this has
>> > stumped
>> > everyone that's come across it. Short of doing a re-install which I
>> > really
>> > don't want to do I've run out of ideas!

gunnersboy

Re: Vista Networking - Server service is not started
I assume you mean by going to start and them command prompt and then typing
in net view this way? This is what I did and this is what I receive...

From running the command from the laptop (the one that's having problems
connecting to the Vista Desktop) I get...

C:\Users\'name'>net view
Server Name Remark

\\LEFTPC (This is the XP Desktop)
\\LAPTOP (This is the Vista Laptop)
\\RIGHTPC (This is the Vista Desktop)
The command completed successfully.

Running this from the Vista Desktop I receive the same results. However,
saying that the problem isn't there at the moment and I can access the
computer ordinarily through the "Network" location. I will try again when the
error pops up and post the results!

Once again, thanks for your help and hopefully you have some idea as to
where the problem is.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> In Vista desktop, run "net view", what do you receive?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "gunnersboy" <gunnersboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK thanks for th reply. Have looked in the event viewer and nothing is
> > there
> > regarding any errors with the server service or computer browser.
> > Hopefully
> > we can get to the bottom of this!
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Open the Event Viewer. Select System and check and error and warning.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

gunnersboy

Re: Vista Networking - Server service is not started
No luck?