How to share user folder without password?

SirThanxalot

How to share user folder without password?
Hi,
I'm trying to share the C:\user\{account-name} folder.
When trying to access the folder on my laptop i get the following error
message:

You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
have access permissions. Multiple connections to a server or shared resource
by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect
all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

File sharing is turned on password protection turned off.

I've read in various threads that it's not possible to share the user folder
without the same account names and password protewction.
Is that really true? What was MS thinking?
Gordon

Re: How to share user folder without password?
"SirThanxalot" <SirThanxalot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm trying to share the C:\user\{account-name} folder.

Why?

> When trying to access the folder on my laptop i get the following error
> message:
>
> You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
> you
> have access permissions. Multiple connections to a server or shared
> resource
> by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed.
> Disconnect
> all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.
>
> File sharing is turned on password protection turned off.
>
> I've read in various threads that it's not possible to share the user
> folder
> without the same account names and password protewction.
> Is that really true? What was MS thinking?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: How to share user folder without password?
Create the same username with the same password in other computer. or this
post may help.
Vista file sharing problem without ...
Vista file sharing problem without password ... Vista may not allow
you access remotely without a password. Assign the same password to the
username and try ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...58ef0 105cb42

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"SirThanxalot" <SirThanxalot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm trying to share the C:\user\{account-name} folder.
> When trying to access the folder on my laptop i get the following error
> message:
>
> You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
> you
> have access permissions. Multiple connections to a server or shared
> resource
> by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed.
> Disconnect
> all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.
>
> File sharing is turned on password protection turned off.
>
> I've read in various threads that it's not possible to share the user
> folder
> without the same account names and password protewction.
> Is that really true? What was MS thinking?

Malke

SirThanxalot wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to share the C:\user\{account-name} folder.
> When trying to access the folder on my laptop i get the following error
> message:
>
> You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
> you have access permissions. Multiple connections to a server or shared
> resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed.
> Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and
> try again.
>
> File sharing is turned on password protection turned off.
>
> I've read in various threads that it's not possible to share the user
> folder without the same account names and password protewction.
> Is that really true? What was MS thinking?

"What was MS thinking?"??!! They were thinking that this is the correct way
to share resources! It is *you* who does not understand networking, not
Microsoft.

As you've been told, create matching user accounts and passwords on all
machines. You do not need to be logged into the same account on all
machines and the passwords assigned to each user account can be different;
the accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT
NEGLECT TO CREATE PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a
machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's
account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link
work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

SedX

Re: How to share user folder without password?

SirThanxalot check out 'http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/18648'
(http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/18648)

If sharing C:\user\{account-name} still doesn’t work after using the
guide in that link try sharing something other than
C:\user\{account-name} . Try something like c:\testshare. Check the
permissions on that folder and make sure that “everyone” has access. If
successful then move on to troubleshooting the C:\user\{account-name}
share. You may be dealing with permission problems on
C:\user\{account-name}. Vista sets permissions for these directories
based on the account each is created for. You may need to add "everyone"
to the permissions for the share to work without a password. I found
your post while troubleshooting a similar issue. I am working on a PC
that previously worked and stopped allowing open shares after a rebuild.
I have a person system that it works on.
Good Luck

As for Malke, I have to disagree.
I think its Malke that must not understand networking and
infrastructures that require to be configured in ways he cannot
understand. I am sick of closed minded network and system admins that
post here just to impose their paranoid security beliefs and try to
prove that everyone else is beneath them. If these type of people
actually get an IT job they can cost companies tons or money by being
too close minded and too "no that’s not possible or the way I think it
should be". Meanwhile living in their own little uber secure locked
down world that sacrifices functionality for what they think is best for
others. I am not saying that everyone should to open up their networks
or stop using the best security practices. I am saying that there is
middle ground and not every scenario fits the make it so secure it
breaks category. It comes down to risk vs. reward/functionality. I am a
IT manager/systems admin and have worked in IT for 15 years. I have seen
my share of admins that answer every new request with “no” only to
become hated and labeled as an IT Nazi. In the end they ended up being
payed to do exactly what they said wasn’t possible or was not an
acceptable request according to the way they had been trained. The
successful admins keep open minds and do not belittle others that ask
questions. The computer world will continue to evolve and will pass you
by if you can't relax and think outside of the box. Beating up home and
"end-users" on forums doesn’t make you better than them. Attacking
security expert Nazis does though.

Malke, Is it really your place to tell someone that they have already
been "told" what their options are. Why the anger? This person isn’t
three years old! SirThanxalot didn’t argue or even comment after being
"told" one possible solution? And if he does, I think it will be ok
since this is a forum where people discuss topics. If he decides to
continue to look for a better solution the world will continue to spin.
I sure am glad I live in the USA where people are allowed to choose for
themselves, ask questions when needed, or even post annoying comments
like the one I am typing now . What country are you from and did you
have to pay to have your head inserted up your backside or is it
required by law at birth?

Who are you to try and justify that Microsoft restricted functionality
in order to enforce what you believe to be a best practice. I have no
problem if a new OS or forum poster like yourself tries to help a user
be more secure. New features can be great and nothing is wrong with
helping people understand why a process that they may have used in the
past is no longer their only option and that it may not be the best
option moving forward. But, completely removing the ability to create an
open share in Vista is unacceptable and based on the number of posts out
there I think many others agree.

There are many scenarios where sharing files without password on Vista
is valid. Sure there are more secure and other ways to share data, but
this has been an available feature that is no longer working as it did
before Vista.

- Let’s pretend that Malke has friends and doesn’t live with his mom.
Since he will always live with his mom we will make an exception and
pretend that his imaginary friends visit him there. Lets also pretend
that Malke has brilliant ideas that he put into the form of files.
When Malke's imaginary friends visit he shows them his new super cool
files and everyone his happy. Malke decides he wants to share these
files via his Vista desktop. This will allow his imaginary friends to
access them from their laptops and even copy the files to use later.
Malke tries to set this up in Vista and it doesn’t work as planned.
Malke now has a dilemma. Vista say he has to put them in the public
folders to share with visitors or use password protection on custom
shares. Malke has lots of files in various places. Some on a large USB
drive and others in different directories that he has organized. Malke
would prefer to create shares to allow access that he can control,
share without password protection, and customize as needed. Vista's
public folder solution doesn’t fit his needs. Malke cries for his mom
to help and she tells him “I don’t know what happened, it works fine
in XP” and then reminds Malke that it is almost bedtime and that his
boyfriends need to put their clothes back on and head home. Since this
works in XP and every other modern Windows OS he asks about it in a
Vista forum. Real world Malke responds to his post treating him like
an idiot. According to real world Commie Malke, he has already been
"TOLD" that he needs to create similar accounts on each of his
imaginary friends systems in order to share his work. Imaginary Malke
cries himself to sleep. He ends up asking hi s mom to install XP and
is now afraid to ask for anymore help online.
- Any person that wants to share files with other network systems
including ones that are not their own. These users should not be
required to create accounts on every system needing access especially
if they do not own them. Many users simply want to provide a read only
share that everyone on their network can access. If they decide that
full access is needed it should be an option. If needed they can
restrict access via their physical or wireless connections. Sure there
are people that leave their default Linksys and Dlink wireless
networks open but the OS shouldn’t be built just for them removing
features that others need.
- Consultants that want to share data during meetings or group
projects without using USB drives or CD media. Sure there are
thousands of ways to share data but if they want an open share that
should be one of the options.
If it is such a bad thing then why was it a working feature prior to
Vista. Are you saying that Microsoft did not understand networking up
until they wrote Vista? I guess they changed their minds again since
Server 2008 came out after Vista and still allows anonymous shares just
like the previous Windows Server versions. You are obviously looking at
shared resources from a corporate security standpoint. How do explain
the fact that this is only a problem in Vista and works fine for Server
2008? If it is to protect businesses from their users creating shares on
corporate Vista desktops then that is easily controlled with group
policies.

I don't think MS meant to remove non-password sharing. If so, they
should not have options to turn on and off password protected sharing.
The verbiage for this setting is confusing to most. It is not clear if
turning it off allows sharing without passwords or if it means you can
only share with this option is on and it requires password protection
in doing so. Since there is a separate file sharing option that must be
enable turning on the password protected sharing should not be required.
Either way here is a link detailing one person's guide to open shares on
Vista. 'http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/18648'
(http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/18648)

My personal experience is that the new sharing features are buggy. The
results are inconsistent when trying to create open shares. Based on
personal experience and comments in other threads it seems to work on
one Vista system but not another when there is no obvious difference
between the settings. I found this thread while troubleshooting a 64bit
Vista PC. The same PC did not have problems with open shares before a
recent rebuild. Non-password protected sharing is a requirement for the
setup as it hosts data provided for visiting volunteers that are working
on a non-profit project. The volunteers connect to a private network
with personal laptops. The setup needs to remain simple and doesn't
warrant the purchase of a server or intranet website to host the data.
XP had been used for years and worked flawlessly.
:: ::
:: ::

--
SedX