Simple Workgroup

Thom Little

Simple Workgroup
I have a Workgroup with two computers (A and B). A is WindowsXP SP3 and B
is Windows Vista Ultimate.

The four partitions on A are configured to be shared by local and network
users. The two partitions on B are configured to be shared by local and
network users.

The accounts used on both machines are the same names and passwords. They
all are Administrator accounts. UAC is turned off on Vista.

Previously this worked perfectly for me. I could access all six partitions
from either machine and it never prompted me for a password.

Something changed with no known action from me.

Now I can access all six partitions from node A. I cannot access the four
partitions on node A from node B. I can only access the two partitions on
node B.

In the Network display on node B I can see node A.
In the Computer display on node B I can see the four partitions on node A.

If I attempt to access a node A partition from node B it throws up a dialog
box asking for a user name and password. Both are blank in the dialog. If
I respond with the current username and password it simply asks me for the
information again.

How do I recover from this "feature" and go back to my simple two node
workgroup that permits access of all partitions from either node?

.... Thom
Thom Little - www.tlanet.net - Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
Steve Winograd

Re: Simple Workgroup
On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 19:21:16 GMT, "Thom Little" <thom@tlanet.net>
wrote:

>I have a Workgroup with two computers (A and B). A is WindowsXP SP3 and B
>is Windows Vista Ultimate.
>
>The four partitions on A are configured to be shared by local and network
>users. The two partitions on B are configured to be shared by local and
>network users.
>
>The accounts used on both machines are the same names and passwords. They
>all are Administrator accounts. UAC is turned off on Vista.
>
>Previously this worked perfectly for me. I could access all six partitions
>from either machine and it never prompted me for a password.
>
>Something changed with no known action from me.
>
>Now I can access all six partitions from node A. I cannot access the four
>partitions on node A from node B. I can only access the two partitions on
>node B.
>
>In the Network display on node B I can see node A.
>In the Computer display on node B I can see the four partitions on node A.
>
>If I attempt to access a node A partition from node B it throws up a dialog
>box asking for a user name and password. Both are blank in the dialog. If
>I respond with the current username and password it simply asks me for the
>information again.
>
>How do I recover from this "feature" and go back to my simple two node
>workgroup that permits access of all partitions from either node?

Check the permissions on the shared partitions on node A, and make
sure that they include the "Everyone" group.

If that doesn't help, un-share and re-share the partitions and see if
that fixes the problem.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Thom Little

Re: Simple Workgroup
I removed the share form all four partitions on Node A and reloaded XP. I
then reestablished the shares. There was no change in the problem,

I found out how to display the security tabs finally (the SP3 installation
hid them). Group Everyone had all permissions checked except FULL CONTROL.
When I changed that in the root the problem was solved.

Apparently a lot of people are finding they need to go through this process
after installing SP3.

Because my experience with Vista was so terrible I was immediately assuming
(incorrectly) that this was a Vista problem on node B.

Thank you very much for getting me on the right track. It is now running
once again the way I want.

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 04:54:02 GMT, "Thom Little" <thom@tlanet.net>
wrote:

>>>I have a Workgroup with two computers (A and B). A is WindowsXP SP3 and B
>>>is Windows Vista Ultimate.
>>>
>>>The four partitions on A are configured to be shared by local and network
>>>users. The two partitions on B are configured to be shared by local and
>>>network users.
>>>
>>>The accounts used on both machines are the same names and passwords. They
>>>all are Administrator accounts. UAC is turned off on Vista.
>>>
>>>Previously this worked perfectly for me. I could access all six partitions
>>>from either machine and it never prompted me for a password.
>>>
>>>Something changed with no known action from me.
>>>
>>>Now I can access all six partitions from node A. I cannot access the four
>>>partitions on node A from node B. I can only access the two partitions on
>>>node B.
>>>
>>>In the Network display on node B I can see node A.
>>>In the Computer display on node B I can see the four partitions on node A.
>>>
>>>If I attempt to access a node A partition from node B it throws up a dialog
>>>box asking for a user name and password. Both are blank in the dialog. If
>>>I respond with the current username and password it simply asks me for the
>>>information again.
>>>
>>>How do I recover from this "feature" and go back to my simple two node
>>>workgroup that permits access of all partitions from either node?

>>Check the permissions on the shared partitions on node A, and make
>>sure that they include the "Everyone" group.
>>
>>If that doesn't help, un-share and re-share the partitions and see if
>>that fixes the problem.

>I removed the share form all four partitions on Node A and reloaded XP. I
>then reestablished the shares. There was no change in the problem,
>
>I found out how to display the security tabs finally (the SP3 installation
>hid them). Group Everyone had all permissions checked except FULL CONTROL.
>When I changed that in the root the problem was solved.
>
>Apparently a lot of people are finding they need to go through this process
>after installing SP3.
>
>Because my experience with Vista was so terrible I was immediately assuming
>(incorrectly) that this was a Vista problem on node B.
>
>Thank you very much for getting me on the right track. It is now running
>once again the way I want.
>
>... Thom

You're welcome, Thom. I'm glad that my suggestion helped you solve
the problem. Thanks for reporting the solution -- I'm sure that it
will help other people.