Sharing available on some folders, but not others

Bilby

Sharing available on some folders, but not others
I can share some folders on my PC in the usual way. However, for others, when
I go to sharing the 'share' button is greyed out. 'Advance sharing' is
available and I can share through this, but when I try to access the folder
from the laptop, it tells me that it could not access it because the
'username and password is unknown'. I have all password protections turned
off for the time being to try and make this work and I can find nowhere where
I can change username or passwords. Printer sharing works fine. Media sharing
works fine. And as I say, I can share some folders, but not all????

Thanks.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Sharing available on some folders, but not others
For security reason, the share option is always grayed out for a root drive
in Vista. You may double check the permissions in the Security tab. These
search results may help.
Vista: Sharing is grayed out
grayed out for a root drive in Vista. It is recommended to share a
folder .... On my Vista Laptop, the Share is grayed out because of the File
Sharing ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...a66fa 964f49b
- Similar pages

Why the Share is grayed out on Vista
A: If you disable File haring Wizard on the Vista, the Share would be
grayed out. Please refer to this how to for more information: How to
disable/enable ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/sharing2.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Bilby" <Bilby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can share some folders on my PC in the usual way. However, for others,
>when
> I go to sharing the 'share' button is greyed out. 'Advance sharing' is
> available and I can share through this, but when I try to access the
> folder
> from the laptop, it tells me that it could not access it because the
> 'username and password is unknown'. I have all password protections turned
> off for the time being to try and make this work and I can find nowhere
> where
> I can change username or passwords. Printer sharing works fine. Media
> sharing
> works fine. And as I say, I can share some folders, but not all????
>
> Thanks.

Bilby

Re: Sharing available on some folders, but not others
Thanks. Works fine now. One of the folders I was trying to share was a root
drive-I wanted to share an entire external drive. However, after following
the instructions in the post (turned network wizard off and then on), I was
able to gain control of the folders in that drive.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> For security reason, the share option is always grayed out for a root drive
> in Vista. You may double check the permissions in the Security tab. These
> search results may help.
> Vista: Sharing is grayed out
> grayed out for a root drive in Vista. It is recommended to share a
> folder .... On my Vista Laptop, the Share is grayed out because of the File
> Sharing ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...a66fa 964f49b
> - Similar pages
>
> Why the Share is grayed out on Vista
> A: If you disable File haring Wizard on the Vista, the Share would be
> grayed out. Please refer to this how to for more information: How to
> disable/enable ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/sharing2.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Bilby" <Bilby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can share some folders on my PC in the usual way. However, for others,
> >when
> > I go to sharing the 'share' button is greyed out. 'Advance sharing' is
> > available and I can share through this, but when I try to access the
> > folder
> > from the laptop, it tells me that it could not access it because the
> > 'username and password is unknown'. I have all password protections turned
> > off for the time being to try and make this work and I can find nowhere
> > where
> > I can change username or passwords. Printer sharing works fine. Media
> > sharing
> > works fine. And as I say, I can share some folders, but not all????
> >
> > Thanks.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Sharing available on some folders, but not others
Thank you for the update.