Base Filtering Engine Prevents Ethernet Connectivity

glamart

Base Filtering Engine Prevents Ethernet Connectivity
Suddenly my Ethernet connectivity to my router or directly to my cable modem
quit working. After much trouble-shooting, I discovered that turning off the
"Base Filtering Engine" service allowed the Ethernet to work normally.
Disabling IPSec policy or the IKE & Authip IPSec keying modules does not
help and
these services seem to work OK.
Any ideas about what can cause this problem will be appreciated.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Base Filtering Engine Prevents Ethernet Connectivity
Hi
Services do not stop, or start working, as they pleased.
However computers that are connected to the Internet might be contaminated
with Viruses, and other Junk.
Check your computer thoroughly with Anti Virus, and Anti spyware
applications.
You did not provided any technical information about your system (Type of
connection, OS, etc).
Maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"glamart" <glamartNS@NScomcast.net> wrote in message
> Suddenly my Ethernet connectivity to my router or directly to my cable
> modem
> quit working. After much trouble-shooting, I discovered that turning off
> the
> "Base Filtering Engine" service allowed the Ethernet to work normally.
> Disabling IPSec policy or the IKE & Authip IPSec keying modules does not
> help and
> these services seem to work OK.
> Any ideas about what can cause this problem will be appreciated.

glamart

Re: Base Filtering Engine Prevents Ethernet Connectivity
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for lack of info. The OS is Windows Vista
Ultimate SP1 and a wired connection to a Linksys router with one other wired
PC. The router is connected to the Internet via a Motorola modem. The
Ethernet connection stopped working suddenly after a boot at the beginning
of the day. It was fine the day before. I talked to ASUS who said it was a
mobo failure and returned the board for repair...board was OK. Using the
Windows boot diagnostic mode, I found that disabling the Base Filtering
Engine service returned the Ethernet to normal operation. I tried disabling
IPsec Policy and the IKE ...etc.. services individually but they had no
effect on the problem. I also tried the Broadcast flag reg fix from
Microsoft but no joy. No Base Filtering Engine problems can be found in the
MS FAQ database.
Items at EZlan were checked but no problems were found. NAV is up to date
and no viruses or spyware was found. I also reset the tcp/ip stack. All to
no avail. The network works fine as long as the Base Filtering Engine
service is disabled.
Any other ideas will be appreciated...!