Can connect to network, cannot see other computers

monfried

Can connect to network, cannot see other computers

Like many other new Vista x64 users, I'm able to connect to my home
network and access the Internet, but my new HP laptop w/Vista is unable
to "see" the other computers or "see" the laser printer attached to one
of them. Unlike the previous posts, I'm using XP Home (latest service
packs and updates), rather than XP Pro, so the fixes that work w/Pro
won't necessarily work with XP Home (at least, that's one one of the
experts on the Forum said). Any fast remedies that anyone might suggest?
(Using Linksys wireless router)

Thank you!

Dave

--
monfried
Malke

Re: Can connect to network, cannot see other computers
monfried wrote:

> Like many other new Vista x64 users, I'm able to connect to my home
> network and access the Internet, but my new HP laptop w/Vista is unable
> to "see" the other computers or "see" the laser printer attached to one
> of them. Unlike the previous posts, I'm using XP Home (latest service
> packs and updates), rather than XP Pro, so the fixes that work w/Pro
> won't necessarily work with XP Home (at least, that's one one of the
> experts on the Forum said). Any fast remedies that anyone might suggest?
> (Using Linksys wireless router)

I don't know what "fixes" you mean that won't work with XP Home. You can
network XP Home and Vista (either 32 or 64-bit) with no problem. The laser
printer is a different story; you need to check on the printer mftr.'s
website and see if they have Vista 64 drivers for it. If not, check with
their tech support to see if their 32-bit drivers will run on Vista 64.

Here are general network troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be
applicable to your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may look
daunting, but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions below
systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up your
sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a firewall, then you're
fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN allowance
with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you
would substitute your correct subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO
NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

F. After you have file sharing working (and have tested this by exchanging a
file between all machines), if you want to share a printer connected
locally to one of your computers, share it out from that machine. Then go
to the printer mftr.'s website and download the latest drivers for the
correct operating system(s). Install them on the target machine(s). The
printer should be seen during the installation routine. If it is not,
install the drivers and then use the Add Printer Wizard. In some instances,
certain printers need to be installed as Local printers but that is outside
of this response.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

monfried

Re: Can connect to network, cannot see other computers

Malke,

Thanks very much for your thorough, helpful reply. All is working now.

There was a series of small changes needed - including changing the
name of the XP network to workgroup and, most importantly, finding the
correct 64 bit driver for the printer (no small feat). The article you
sent along was extremely helpful and is a great reference for the sort
of problem I encountered.

Again, thanks very much.

Dave

monfried wrote:

> Malke,
>
> Thanks very much for your thorough, helpful reply. All is working now.
>
> There was a series of small changes needed - including changing the
> name of the XP network to workgroup and, most importantly, finding the
> correct 64 bit driver for the printer (no small feat). The article you
> sent along was extremely helpful and is a great reference for the sort
> of problem I encountered.
>
> Again, thanks very much.

I'm very happy that I was able to help. Thanks for taking the time to let me
know.

Malke