Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Set-up internet connection (No PPPoE) in Vista?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2008
Wouter Smaal
 

Posts: n/a
Set-up internet connection (No PPPoE) in Vista?
I upgrade yesterday from XP to Vista, but I have a problem to set-up the
internet connection. I can't set-up the connection because the only
suggestion that Vista offers me is a connection with PPPoE (See
http://tinyurl.com/37erh5. I want an internet broadband connection
without PPPoE via my ADSL modem/router (Zyxel 2602). My ISP doesn't
support PPPoE.

Its not a network problem because my Linux computer attached on the same
ADSL/router have a connection with internet and can reach the router via
192.168.1.254/. Vista however can't reach 192.168.1.254 and reports that
there is a problem with my Zyxel. I upgrade yesterday the lan driver (3
com gigabyte LOM (3c940). Before the upgrade the NIC works well in XP..

How can I set-up a trivial internet connection in Vista?

btw I can't find (yet) the command prompt in Vista :-(
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2008
locoeng
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Set-up internet connection (No PPPoE) in Vista?

What happens when you simply open your browser without setting up a
connection?

Command prompt can be obtained by clicking on an empty space on your
desktop and right clicking while holding down your Shift button. You
can also type in CMD in the search box from the Start menu.


--
locoeng

Vista Ultimate 32/64 bit dual boot
Gigabyte EP35 DS3R
XFX GeForce 8600GT
Corsair 520HX
G.Skill DDR II 800 X2 gigs
Seagate 120GB (IDE) X2
WD 750 (SATA)
Samsung SH203B SBO3 patched codeking
Pioneer 215L patched MCSE
NEC/Optiarc 7200S 1.06bt Liggy&Dee
Lite-On 20A1L BL06 -FB FBL EOS EOHT 6-
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2008
Wouter Smaal
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Set-up internet connection (No PPPoE) in Vista?
locoeng wrote:
> What happens when you simply open your browser without setting up a
> connection?


If I Open IEX: diagnose connection problems...
The saved tabs in my Firefox browser can't reach the destinations :-(

> Command prompt can be obtained by clicking on an empty space on your
> desktop and right clicking while holding down your Shift button.


I thought that every thing in Vista is made more simple :-)


> You can also type in CMD in the search box from the Start menu.


Thx
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2008
Wouter Smaal
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Set-up internet connection (No PPPoE) in Vista?
locoeng wrote:
> What happens when you simply open your browser without setting up a
> connection?


Solved.
- I put 2 drivers for the 3com gigabit LOM 3c940 (from Asus (Asus p4p800
deluxe motherboard) and driverguide.com) on my C disk. Then via the
device manager/update driver software, Vista looks for the best fit.
- Reboot the ADSL/router and my Vista PC makes a connection with
internet automatically (finally :-)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2008
locoeng
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Set-up internet connection (No PPPoE) in Vista?

>
> - Reboot the ADSL/router and my Vista PC makes a connection with
> internet automatically
>


That is what I assumed as that is how mine configured before I loaded
any drivers and why I asked what you get when you simply open a browser.
Anywho, glad you got it sorted and happy surfing.


--
locoeng

Vista Ultimate 32/64 bit dual boot
Gigabyte EP35 DS3R
XFX GeForce 8600GT
Corsair 520HX
G.Skill DDR II 800 X2 gigs
Seagate 120GB (IDE) X2
WD 750 (SATA)
Samsung SH203B SBO3 patched codeking
Pioneer 215L patched MCSE
NEC/Optiarc 7200S 1.06bt Liggy&Dee
Lite-On 20A1L BL06 -FB FBL EOS EOHT 6-
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2008
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Set-up internet connection (No PPPoE) in Vista?
Hi
When you use a Modem/Router the PPPOE is done in the Router. The connection
between computers they are connected to the Router and the Internet is via
regular Ethernet Network and does not need PPPOE.
Since your computer can not connect to the Router, it might be that its
Network configuration is Not functional.
This page was written for WinXP but the principle is the same for Vista try
to use is a guide to debug your network settings.
http://www.ezlan.net'debug,html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Wouter Smaal" <nospam@devnull.invalid> wrote in message
news:48919cce$0$12597$2e0edba0@news.tweakdsl.nl...
>I upgrade yesterday from XP to Vista, but I have a problem to set-up the
>internet connection. I can't set-up the connection because the only
>suggestion that Vista offers me is a connection with PPPoE (See
>http://tinyurl.com/37erh5. I want an internet broadband connection without
>PPPoE via my ADSL modem/router (Zyxel 2602). My ISP doesn't support PPPoE.
>
> Its not a network problem because my Linux computer attached on the same
> ADSL/router have a connection with internet and can reach the router via
> 192.168.1.254/. Vista however can't reach 192.168.1.254 and reports that
> there is a problem with my Zyxel. I upgrade yesterday the lan driver (3
> com gigabyte LOM (3c940). Before the upgrade the NIC works well in XP..
>
> How can I set-up a trivial internet connection in Vista?
>
> btw I can't find (yet) the command prompt in Vista :-(


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Must broadband connection be pppoe? btully microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 9 07-29-2008 17:36
Problem PPPOE connection jackie microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 2 01-12-2008 12:57
Trouble with PPPoE connection og Windows Vista Ultima 32 bit edition Megaman microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 09-11-2007 16:00
Trouble with PPPoE connection in Windows Vista. Megaman microsoft.public.pt.windows.vista 0 09-10-2007 09:32
Internet connection problem (PPPoE) with Vista =?Utf-8?B?RGFyeWw=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 03-20-2007 02:01




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:45.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120