Browstat.exe usage problems in Windows Vista Business

Kevin

Browstat.exe usage problems in Windows Vista Business
I am trying to resolve a home networking issue between one Vista Business
laptop and several XP Pro SP2 & SP3 machines on my existing, functional
NetBEUI home network (File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks &
Client for Microsoft Networks bound only to NetBEUI, not to TCP/IP -
additionally, NetBIOS over TCP/IP is Disabled - all machines).

I searched around here for 'NetBEUI' and found reference to PChuck's usage
instructions for Browstat to resolve computer browser problems.

I have Dynawell.com's Browstat.exe (March 12, 1999, 23:55:46 39.7 KB
[40,720 bytes] version) copied to 'C:\Windows\System32'. When I run
'Browstat status' in an 'Administrator: Command Prompt' window (at the
'C\Users\[my username]>' prompt, I get no screen output or error, just a
fresh input prompt: 'C:\Users\[my username]>'. What's up with this?

FYI - I've installed Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) protocol on the XP
Pro machines and can now see them in the Vista Network and Sharing Center
network map. I have also installed the NetBEUI protocol on the Vista machine
and have configured NetBEUI (bound) and TCP/IPv4 & v6 (unbound and NetBIOS
over TCP/IP Disabled) identical to the XP Pro machines.

However, I am unable to see the XP Pro machines in Vista Windows Explorer >
Network, only the Vista machine itself.
Conversely, I am unable to see the Vista machine from any of the XP Pro
machines - even when searching for it directly by it's computer name,
'P200-S03_VB'.

I have my existing Workgroup name correctly entered for the Vista machine.
I have Vista User Account Control turned Off.
The Vista Guest account is turned On.
In Vista Network and Sharing Center, my network type is Private.
Under Sharing and Discovery, I have:
Network discovery, File sharing & Public folder sharing (read only) turned On.
No printers are installed on the Vista machine.
Password protected sharing & Media sharing are turned Off.
I have my Vista's 'Downloads' folder shared with Read(ing) Allow(ed)
Permissions for Everyone (only).

I am using the ZoneAlarm (free) s/w firewall on all machines with all IP's
on my private subnet configured as 'Trusted', although, in the case of the
NetBEUI protocol, this is likely not relevant.

I should be able to network among all machines with the above parameters,
however, the only way I can establish connectivity between all machines is to
bind File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks & Client for Microsoft
Networks to TCP/IP(v4, only, in the case of the Vista machine) and set
NetBIOS over TCP/IP to Default on all machines.

If anyone knows specifically why I can't (yet) network with NetBEUI, I'd be
very interested to know.

FYI - I prefer to use NetBEUI because NetBEUI traffic cannot cross my router
(or come in to my home network) and by leaving TCP/IP unbound and NetBIOS
over TCP/IP Disabled, my home network security is significantly enhanced.
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Browstat.exe usage problems in Windows Vista Business
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:14:12 -0700, Kevin <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>on my private subnet configured as 'Trusted', although, in the case of the
>NetBEUI protocol, this is likely not relevant.
>
>I should be able to network among all machines with the above parameters,
>however, the only way I can establish connectivity between all machines is to
>bind File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks & Client for Microsoft
>Networks to TCP/IP(v4, only, in the case of the Vista machine) and set
>NetBIOS over TCP/IP to Default on all machines.
>
>If anyone knows specifically why I can't (yet) network with NetBEUI, I'd be
>very interested to know.
>
>FYI - I prefer to use NetBEUI because NetBEUI traffic cannot cross my router
>(or come in to my home network) and by leaving TCP/IP unbound and NetBIOS
>over TCP/IP Disabled, my home network security is significantly enhanced.

Kevin,

Can you get output from browstat when run from a Windows XP computer? I haven't
seen any other reports like yours, when it's run as admin. Make sure that you
got a good copy, by getting it running under Windows XP.

If you can get browstat running, I'll try to help you interpret the output. I
have to note, though, that NetBEUI just plain isn't supported.
<http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2006...-together.html
<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/877adc1b-76fb-4608-a917-baf201f45f1e1033.mspx>
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...45f1e1033.mspx

And in my humble opinion, your preference for NetBEUI as a security solution is
misplaced.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/windows-networking-and-alternate.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...alternate.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/
Kevin

Re: Browstat.exe usage problems in Windows Vista Business
Hey Chuck ... thanks for helping me out ...

My copy of Browstat.exe works fine in XP and now will run for me on the
Vista Business machine (P200-S03_VB) as well ... the result I reported
initially was because TCP/IP was unbound and NetBIOS over TCP/IP was Disabled
when I first tried it. FYI - said initial result is repeatable.

Anyways, I ran 'Browstat status' on 3 different XP Pro SP2 machines ... 2
that have 'File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks' & 'Client for
Microsoft Networks' bound to TCP/IP and NetBIOS over TCP/IP set to Default
(machines: PII_366_XP1 & PII_366_XP2), and, 1 where TCP/IP is unbound and
NetBIOS over TCP/IP is Disabled (machine: PIII_667_XP - only direct
connection to Internet).
Notes: - the Vista machine (TCP/IPv4 only) is configured the same as
machines: PII_366_XP1 & 2 and all machines (other than PIII_667_XP) connect
to Internet via a Linksys BEFW11S4 V4 Wireless-B Broadband Router.
- with respect to the NetBEUI protocol, both 'F and P S for M N' & 'C for M
N' are bound - all machines.
- all machines use the ZA (free) s/w firewall - machines behind router
configured with my home network-related IP's in Trusted Zone with Firewall >
Trusted Zone slider set to Medium (to ensure appropriate [TCP &] UDP ports
are available).

I have the 'Browstat status' outputs saved as .txt files - what would be the
best way to make them available to you for interpretation?

As for my preference for NetBEUI as a security solution being misplaced, I
am eager to learn more about why that is. I read your 'Windows Networking
And Alternate Transports' webpage ... very informative and helpful ... and,
unless I'm missing something, it seems to support my notion:

"Setup
If you want to access the Internet from your computers [I do], though, you
will still have to have TCP/IP on each computer. If you do not separate
Windows Networking from TCP/IP on even one single computer, your entire
Windows Networking environment may be exposed. And without protection by
personal firewalls [I use the ZA (free) s/w firewall on all machines], all
computers may be at risk more than if they were using NBT."

Which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid - if Vista would network with XP
using NetBEUI (I read your 'Windows XP And Vista On The LAN Together' webpage
.... learned a number of new things - thank you for your efforts there ... ,
and, I've seen the MS article: 'What happened to the NetBEUI protocol?' a few
times now - however, MS does not get into technical specifics about why it
won't work [there or anywhere else I've searched], even though it will
install in Vista and can be bound / unbound with 'F and P S for M N' & 'C for
M N' ... indeed, MS said NetBEUI was not supported in XP, yet it works just
fine), I could indeed keep Windows Networking separate from TCP/IP and avoid
NBT altogether.

What do you think?