Sharing not working on Vista PC's

Dave D

Sharing not working on Vista PC's
Hello. We are having problems sharing folders on our Vista PC's. These
PC's are on a domain. We go through the sharing process and add the names
of users. The process seems to complete properly. When the other user
tries to map a drive to the shared folder the message comes back that the
network path can not be found. We have tried turning off the Windows
Firewall and Symantec Endpoint Protection. I have also noticed that I can
not ping many of the Vista PC's. I get 'request timed out' messages. Any
thoughts of what might be going on with these PC's?? Thanks much for any
thoughts.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Sharing not working on Vista PC's
For troubleshooting, start the Vista with safe mode with network. Can you
ping it by IP?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Dave D" <djdeboer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello. We are having problems sharing folders on our Vista PC's. These
> PC's are on a domain. We go through the sharing process and add the names
> of users. The process seems to complete properly. When the other user
> tries to map a drive to the shared folder the message comes back that the
> network path can not be found. We have tried turning off the Windows
> Firewall and Symantec Endpoint Protection. I have also noticed that I
> can not ping many of the Vista PC's. I get 'request timed out' messages.
> Any thoughts of what might be going on with these PC's?? Thanks much for
> any thoughts.

ProfQ

Dave D wrote:
> Hello. We are having problems sharing folders on our Vista PC's. These
> PC's are on a domain. We go through the sharing process and add the
> names of users. The process seems to complete properly. When the
> other user tries to map a drive to the shared folder the message comes
> back that the network path can not be found. We have tried turning off
> the Windows Firewall and Symantec Endpoint Protection. I have also
> noticed that I can not ping many of the Vista PC's. I get 'request
> timed out' messages. Any thoughts of what might be going on with these
> PC's?? Thanks much for any thoughts.

Dave D, I suggest you browse posts on http://www.vistahelp.ca/ forums. I
had exactly the same problems but with different software and TechB
(Kerry Brown) helped me out. He's an MVP but he's also excellent and his
advice works.

The first thing to do is create the same account with the same password
on all the computers. Yes, a password is needed.

Once you have created ONE user for all machines with the same password,
when users are logged in under their own names and want to "attach" to
another computer, you map a drive letter to the machine name
\\machine\path\ and log into that machine as the new "general" name you
created on all the machines. This works.

Ask the forum about "ipconfig /all" to see why you can't ping the machines.
Dave D

Re: Sharing not working on Vista PC's
Thanks for responses. I was able to finally get this user's folder shared.
The way I ended up doing it is very strange. In Active Directory I had to
take his computer, move it to an OU that had no Group Policy applied to it,
and then move it back to the OU it was in. Once I did that I could ping his
PC and map drives to his shared folders. Make sense??

I experimented with another Vista PC here. I could not see this PC in the
network nor could I ping it. I tried pinging several IP's in the range that
this PC should have fallen into and didn't get any valid replies. I shared
some folders on the PC but couldn't map drives to them. I moved the PC to
an OU without any GP, restarted the PC, moved it back to where it belonged,
restarted once again. Now I am able to see the PC in the network, I can
ping it by it's name, I can map drives to the shared folders. And even more
oddly, before I did any moves when I pinged what turned out to be the PC's
IP, I got an incorrect host name.

I'm not sure why this works. But it did. It just makes me love Vista even
more.

Thanks again for the help

"ProfQ" <pseudo@intellectual.info> wrote in message
> Dave D wrote:
>> Hello. We are having problems sharing folders on our Vista PC's. These
>> PC's are on a domain. We go through the sharing process and add the
>> names of users. The process seems to complete properly. When the other
>> user tries to map a drive to the shared folder the message comes back
>> that the network path can not be found. We have tried turning off the
>> Windows Firewall and Symantec Endpoint Protection. I have also noticed
>> that I can not ping many of the Vista PC's. I get 'request timed out'
>> messages. Any thoughts of what might be going on with these PC's??
>> Thanks much for any thoughts.

> Dave D, I suggest you browse posts on http://www.vistahelp.ca/ forums. I
> had exactly the same problems but with different software and TechB (Kerry
> Brown) helped me out. He's an MVP but he's also excellent and his advice
> works.
>
> The first thing to do is create the same account with the same password on
> all the computers. Yes, a password is needed.
>
> Once you have created ONE user for all machines with the same password,
> when users are logged in under their own names and want to "attach" to
> another computer, you map a drive letter to the machine name
> \\machine\path\ and log into that machine as the new "general" name you
> created on all the machines. This works.
>
> Ask the forum about "ipconfig /all" to see why you can't ping the
> machines.

Not Me

Re: Sharing not working on Vista PC's
Yes, it can be quite a pain to setup Vista on a mixed network.
I suppose if you can't access the machine or share, it's more secure.
That isn't how I like to increase security...LOL

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
CarGodZeroOne@hotmail.com