Wireless problem with Vista

John Thompson

Wireless problem with Vista
I just bought my daughter a new Acer laptop for college next year and
I'm trying to get it up and running. Of course, it came with Vista (SP1)
installed. My problem is that I can't get it to connect to my wireless
access point at home. It sees the signal, shows the essid properly, but
when I try to connect it complains:

Windows cannot connect to my_essid

[] Diagnose the prblem
[] Connect to a different network.

I click on "Diagnose" and get this helpful message:

Windows cannot connect to my_essid

Wireless association failed because Windows did not receive any
response from the wireless router or access point.

[] Click for information on troubleshooting low wireless signal quality
problems.

This in turn brings up a generic message about being too far from the
access point (<4m and the Network Connections applet describes the
signal as "excellent"); the access point is turned off or not working
properly (it is on, and it works fine with my laptop); there is
interference from other devices; the network is not set to broadcast its
SSID (it is, and it displays properly in the Network Connections applet.

So I disabled all the encryption, authentication, etc. on the access
point to see if that was the problem -- no joy with Vista, but it still
works fine with my laptop.

So I disable the Windows firewall (I have a firewall and NAT on the
gateway appliance), set the wireless device properties to maximum
compatibility in the Windows Device Manager -- still no joy.

Is there some way to extract more information from Windows about the
nature of the problem? On my (linux) laptop I can simply peruse the
message log, error stream from the device driver, etc. to get helpful
information. Does Windows have something analogous somewhere?

TIA...

--

John (john@os2.dhs.org)
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Wireless problem with Vista
If disable security in the wireless AP, can you access it?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"John Thompson" <john@vector.os2.dhs.org> wrote in message
>I just bought my daughter a new Acer laptop for college next year and
> I'm trying to get it up and running. Of course, it came with Vista (SP1)
> installed. My problem is that I can't get it to connect to my wireless
> access point at home. It sees the signal, shows the essid properly, but
> when I try to connect it complains:
>
> Windows cannot connect to my_essid
>
> [] Diagnose the prblem
> [] Connect to a different network.
>
> I click on "Diagnose" and get this helpful message:
>
> Windows cannot connect to my_essid
>
> Wireless association failed because Windows did not receive any
> response from the wireless router or access point.
>
> [] Click for information on troubleshooting low wireless signal quality
> problems.
>
> This in turn brings up a generic message about being too far from the
> access point (<4m and the Network Connections applet describes the
> signal as "excellent"); the access point is turned off or not working
> properly (it is on, and it works fine with my laptop); there is
> interference from other devices; the network is not set to broadcast its
> SSID (it is, and it displays properly in the Network Connections applet.
>
> So I disabled all the encryption, authentication, etc. on the access
> point to see if that was the problem -- no joy with Vista, but it still
> works fine with my laptop.
>
> So I disable the Windows firewall (I have a firewall and NAT on the
> gateway appliance), set the wireless device properties to maximum
> compatibility in the Windows Device Manager -- still no joy.
>
> Is there some way to extract more information from Windows about the
> nature of the problem? On my (linux) laptop I can simply peruse the
> message log, error stream from the device driver, etc. to get helpful
> information. Does Windows have something analogous somewhere?
>
> TIA...
>

> --
>
> John (john@os2.dhs.org)

John Thompson

On 2008-07-30, Robert L. (MS-MVP) <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote:

> If disable security in the wireless AP, can you access it?

No. Windows tries to connect for about a second, then says the
"connection has timed out or was cancelled by user action." Why would it
time out after only a second? No user action was taken to cancel the
process.

Is there some way to determine what query Windows is sending to the AP?
What response is received?

--

John (john@os2.dhs.org)
Mick Murphy

RE: Wireless problem with Vista
1. Update Firmware in Router for vista compatibility.
2. Update Drivers for Network adaptor.
3. In network connection>right-click it> then LC Properties> unbind TCP/IPv6
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia