Network connectivity problems using vpn on vista client

smackmathew is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Network connectivity problems using vpn on vista client
I have several users who connect to the network through vpn. this morning one of them complained that his vpn wasn't working.

so I tried to connect using vpn and connected just fine, but I couldn't remote to another server on the network, or browse to another server or computer.

I verified that this was actually the problem this user was having. and also found that another user was also having this same issue. all the users having this issue are using vista. those i've tried that are still running xp are not having any issues.

can someone help?

thanks
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network connectivity problems using vpn on vista client
It could be the name resolution issue. Can you ping the remote server by IP?
Or check this search result.
Vista VPN Issues
Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:15 pm Post subject: Vista VPN issues,
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistavpn.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

> I have several users who connect to the network through vpn. this
> morning one of them complained that his vpn wasn't working.
>
> so I tried to connect using vpn and connected just fine, but I couldn't
> remote to another server on the network, or browse to another server or
> computer.
>
> I verified that this was actually the problem this user was having.
> and also found that another user was also having this same issue. all
> the users having this issue are using vista. those i've tried that are
> still running xp are not having any issues.
>
> can someone help?
>
> thanks
>

> --
> smackmathew

Dark Horse

RE: Network connectivity problems using vpn on vista client
I had similar issues with VPN from a Vista SP1 client to Windows Server2003.
Could dial in and connect, even ping the server and some other network
workstation, could open web page devices (like router admin pages) get prompt
for login but receive no data. VNC would login in with blank screen, which
apparently was moving the mouse and GUI but could not see on the client. In
summary, VPN connected and live without proper large scale TCP/IP traffic.

Try:
- Disable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) for the out going Vista client
connection (that the VPN uses), this one took me ages to find and was the
final step for me!
- Enable the MChapsV2
- Disable IPv6 (untick)
- Enable old registry entries for 40 and 56 bit compression if server
requires (search google VPN AllowPPTPWeakCrypto)
- Pull some more hair out...
Good luck