Shaping files from and xp drive

Greg

Shaping files from and xp drive
I had an XP laptop die on me I had 2 different user profiles setup with
passwords, I was the administrator, I have replaced it and removed the drive,
placing it in a USB portable housing. I can locate the drive and view that
the firles and folders are ther but when I try and move them or open them I
receive a messege that says I don't currently have permission to access the
folder, I have followed thru all the prompts and still can't seem to access
my folders. Any one else have this problem or have any advice? I suspect if
I can remove that password protection form the old files that may be one way
to solve it?
Steve Winograd

Re: Shaping files from and xp drive
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:13:36 -0700, Greg
<Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I had an XP laptop die on me I had 2 different user profiles setup with
>passwords, I was the administrator, I have replaced it and removed the drive,
>placing it in a USB portable housing. I can locate the drive and view that
>the firles and folders are ther but when I try and move them or open them I
>receive a messege that says I don't currently have permission to access the
>folder, I have followed thru all the prompts and still can't seem to access
>my folders. Any one else have this problem or have any advice? I suspect if
>I can remove that password protection form the old files that may be one way
>to solve it?

Windows XP doesn't have passwords for files. This is a permissions
problem, and this Microsoft Knowledge Base article has the solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/kB/308421
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com