Vista HP cannot share printer on XP

Doug

Vista HP cannot share printer on XP
Vista Home premuim. Network settings correct on both PCs. From Vista I can
ping the XP by IP address and by Computer name. From Vista I can map a drive
on the XP using either IP or computer name.
However In Network XP PC name is present but double-click says no access.
Shared printer on XP is not found by Vista Add Printer.
XP can see Vista in Network Places and double-click shows shared folders.
What is next step?
--
Doug
Extensa

Re: Vista HP cannot share printer on XP

You may need to try this.

1. On your network, look at the computer name for the computer you wish
to connect to (Host) and click in to it. You should be able to see the
name of the printer you wish to connect. You will need these 2 names for
step number 7/8.

2. Now click on the Printers icon in the control panel.

3. Right click on a blank portion of the screen, select add printer and
a menu will pop up.

4. Choose the add local printer option.

5. Now choose 'Create New Port'.

6. Click Next.

7. Another popup screen will open. This is where you need the computer
and printer name.

8. Enter the following into the box \\computername\printername

9. Click OK

10. It will now prompt you to pick your printer firmware. Select your
model.

11. Click Next. It will now ask to either use the installed driver, or
replace the current driver. Pick what you wish.

12. Click Next. Type in a printer name. And either select, or unselect
the 'Set as Default Printer Option.

13. It will now install the printer.

14. You have now successfully added a printer. You can now test a print
sheet.

*This information has been proven to work, as this is how I set up my
printer. This should be a fairly straight forward tutorial.

NOTE: The host computer must be ON to print, along with the computer
that is sending the document. Remember the printer also must be on to
print.

Hope this works for you,

Extensa

--
Extensa

*Acer Extensa 5620 Notebook
*Windows Vista Home Premium x64
*15.4 WXGA (1280x800*320GB Hard Disk
*Intel Core 2 Duo 5750 @ 2.0 GHz
*ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400XT
*4GB DDR2 667 SDRAM
Mick Murphy

RE: Vista HP cannot share printer on XP
And when you go through Vista>Network>Network and Sharing>Add Network
Device>Browse to XP computer, make sure you have a vista compatible Printer
driver to install on the Vista Machine.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Doug" wrote:

> Vista Home premuim. Network settings correct on both PCs. From Vista I can
> ping the XP by IP address and by Computer name. From Vista I can map a drive
> on the XP using either IP or computer name.
> However In Network XP PC name is present but double-click says no access.
> Shared printer on XP is not found by Vista Add Printer.
> XP can see Vista in Network Places and double-click shows shared folders.
> What is next step?
> --
> Doug

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista HP cannot share printer on XP
Below is how to Network XP and Vista.
Turn ON XP's file and printer Sharing; info below!

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Doug" wrote:

> Vista Home premuim. Network settings correct on both PCs. From Vista I can
> ping the XP by IP address and by Computer name. From Vista I can map a drive
> on the XP using either IP or computer name.
> However In Network XP PC name is present but double-click says no access.
> Shared printer on XP is not found by Vista Add Printer.
> XP can see Vista in Network Places and double-click shows shared folders.
> What is next step?
> --
> Doug

Doug

RE: Vista HP cannot share printer on XP
Thanks for the reply but my problem is not that simple. Everything in that
link has already been done. If you note my original question, you'll see
that I can map a drive from the Vista to the XP. From XP I can see Vista's
Public folders. Therefore file sharing is OK. When I said Network settings
are OK, I meant that both are in the same workgroup, same subnet, Netbios
enabled over TCP, only Windows firewalls, both the problem exists even with
firewalls disabled. No 3rd party firewalls. Vista sees both computers in
Network but double-clicking the XP name brings up a no access message, even
if I have Z: mapped gto \\XP\shareddocs and can see all the documents. My
problem is that Vista doesn't allow me any other way to access a shared
printer but through Add Printer, where it cannot see any. XP can see all of
Vista in My Network Places.
--
Doug