Need help networking Vista to XP

Diaboyos

Need help networking Vista to XP
*This is a duplicate post from me because the first post and all its
replies were deleted from my news server before I could read them. If
you replied to my original post please reply again! Thank You!*

I am trying to connect two computers with a crossover cable.

Computer "A" has two onboard ports and one is used for the Internet. It
is running Vista Ultimate.

Computer "B" has two available ports, one onboard and one Ethernet card.
It is running XP Pro.

I have connected the two with a crossover cable but can't get it to
work. I'm not sure what else I have to do. I've tried browsing the web
but what I've tried didn't work either.

When I unplug the connection from "A" a network connection unplugged
message pops up on computer "B". As well, computer "A" shows the
network in the network folder but it has no connection.

Can someone tell me what I need to do on each computer please? Thank you!
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Need help networking Vista to XP
Hi
You have to configure the TCP/IP in both computers to have a static IP that
of the same subnet.
E.g. one computer 192.168.1.1 and the second 192.168.1.2
Instruction for WinXP here, http://www.hotcomm.com/FAQ/FAQ_staticIPXP.asp
In Vista Control Panel/Network Center.
In Network center click (left side) on Mange network Connections.
Right click on the Connector, and the rest is similar to XP.
Then configure the sharing on both computers.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Diaboyos" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> *This is a duplicate post from me because the first post and all its
> replies were deleted from my news server before I could read them. If you
> replied to my original post please reply again! Thank You!*
>

> I am trying to connect two computers with a crossover cable.
>
> Computer "A" has two onboard ports and one is used for the Internet. It
> is running Vista Ultimate.
>
> Computer "B" has two available ports, one onboard and one Ethernet card.
> It is running XP Pro.
>
> I have connected the two with a crossover cable but can't get it to work.
> I'm not sure what else I have to do. I've tried browsing the web but what
> I've tried didn't work either.
>
> When I unplug the connection from "A" a network connection unplugged
> message pops up on computer "B". As well, computer "A" shows the network
> in the network folder but it has no connection.
>
> Can someone tell me what I need to do on each computer please? Thank you!

Mick Murphy

RE: Need help networking Vista to XP
http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/02/21/h...r-using-vista/

Have a read of the above about internet connection sharing.
And below is about Networking XP and Vista

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
> You have to configure the TCP/IP in both computers to have a static IP
> that of the same subnet.
> E.g. one computer 192.168.1.1 and the second 192.168.1.2
> Instruction for WinXP here, http://www.hotcomm.com/FAQ/FAQ_staticIPXP.asp
> In Vista Control Panel/Network Center.
> In Network center click (left side) on Mange network Connections.
> Right click on the Connector, and the rest is similar to XP.
> Then configure the sharing on both computers.
> settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> allowed to be shared.
> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
> Windows XP File Sharing -
> Printer Sharing XP -

Ok I set up the IPs on the two computers to correspond to each other and
made sure they have the same group name. I've set up folders to be
shared on each machine.

Sometimes the XP machine will show in Vistas network but is
"inaccessible". The same for the XP machine. I've tried disabling all
firewalls and that didn't help. It shows as connected and working
properly on the XP machine but it's not. Now I'm back to the limited or
no connectivity on the Vista machine while the XP machine shows as
connected.