connection profiles in vista?

Gizzo

connection profiles in vista?
This is the scenario: our IT made it a policy to issue static IPs to
employees. So we configure both LAN and wireless IP configs with a
given IP addresses, gateways, DNS, etc. However, most of us are mobile
and when we connect to wireless and ethernet LANs outside the company,
we want to be able to EASILY switch between static configs and dynamic
configuration. This may not be such a big problem with Wifi but with
LAN it is because I find myself having to manually change from static
to dynamic everytime. Also, I want the system to be able to remember
the settings like a network profile so I can easily switch to the
specific network configuration depending on where I am, eg HOME,
CLIENT1, CLIENT2, OFFICE, etc.

How can do this in Vista networking?
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: connection profiles in vista?
"Gizzo" <gbacareza@gmail.com> wrote in message
> This is the scenario: our IT made it a policy to issue static IPs to
> employees. So we configure both LAN and wireless IP configs with a
> given IP addresses, gateways, DNS, etc. However, most of us are mobile
> and when we connect to wireless and ethernet LANs outside the company,
> we want to be able to EASILY switch between static configs and dynamic
> configuration. This may not be such a big problem with Wifi but with
> LAN it is because I find myself having to manually change from static
> to dynamic everytime. Also, I want the system to be able to remember
> the settings like a network profile so I can easily switch to the
> specific network configuration depending on where I am, eg HOME,
> CLIENT1, CLIENT2, OFFICE, etc.
>
> How can do this in Vista networking?

You might look at NetSwitcher...

http://www.netswitcher.com

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Gizzo

Re: connection profiles in vista?
I'm actually using Thinkvantage Access Connections but I would like to
know if this is natively supported in Vista so I don't have to use 3rd
party apps.

On Jul 24, 7:33*pm, "Sooner Al [MVP]" <Soone...@somewhere.net.invalid>
wrote:
> "Gizzo" <gbacar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > This is the scenario: our IT made it a policy to issue static IPs to
> > employees. So we configure both LAN and wireless IP configs with a
> > given IP addresses, gateways, DNS, etc. However, most of us are mobile
> > and when we connect to wireless and ethernet LANs outside the company,
> > we want to be able to EASILY switch between static configs and dynamic
> > configuration. This may not be such a big problem with Wifi but with
> > LAN it is because I find myself having to manually change from static
> > to dynamic everytime. Also, I want the system to be able to remember
> > the settings like a network profile so I can easily switch to the
> > specific network configuration depending on where I am, eg HOME,
> > CLIENT1, CLIENT2, OFFICE, etc.

> > How can do this in Vista networking?

> You might look at NetSwitcher...
>
> http://www.netswitcher.com
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> rights...
> How to ask a questionhttp://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Malke

Gizzo wrote:

> I'm actually using Thinkvantage Access Connections but I would like to
> know if this is natively supported in Vista so I don't have to use 3rd
> party apps.

It is natively supported in Vista as it was in XP to be able to switch
between one static IP address setting and one dynamic IP address setting.
This is done with the Alternate Configuration.

You can enable the Alternate Configuration feature in Vista using the
following steps:

1. Click Start, right click Network and click Properties.
2. Select Manage network connections.
3. Right click your network connection and click Properties
4. From the list of network components, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
and click the Properties button.
5. From the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window select the
Alternate Configuration tab.

Specify the IP parameters that should be used should the primary IP
configuration fail. If you don't see the Alternate Configuration tab, set
the IP for DHCP (automatic IP/DNS assignment) first. The Alternate
Configuration tab will then appear.

If you don't want to wait for the first step to time out (when it doesn't
find the DHCP server) and switch to the Alternate Configuration OR you have
more than one network you want to set up, use third-party utilities. The
Thinkvantage Access Connections is actually quite good and useful.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Gizzo

Re: connection profiles in vista?
Thanks for the help. it worked! now i uninstalled ThinkVantage's
Access Connections.

However, I've been getting problems whenever I undock the PC, go
somewhere, dock. Instead of remembering the alternative IP I
specified, Vista places what seems like random stuff:

IP: 169.254.77.37 (supposed to be 10.11.2.xxx)
Subnet:255.255.0.0 (stb 255.255.254.0)
Gateway: blank
DNS: correct

any clues as to why this occurs? this is really a problem because i
find myself having to reboot everytime i undock and dock again.

really appreciate your help. thanks

On Jul 25, 8:28*pm, Malke <ma...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Gizzo wrote:
> > I'm actually using Thinkvantage Access Connections but I would like to
> > know if this is natively supported in Vista so I don't have to use 3rd
> > party apps.

> It is natively supported in Vista as it was in XP to be able to switch
> between one static IP address setting and one dynamic IP address setting.
> This is done with the Alternate Configuration.
>
> You can enable the Alternate Configuration feature in Vista using the
> following steps:
>
> * *1. Click Start, right click Network and click Properties.
> * *2. Select Manage network connections.
> * *3. Right click your network connection and click Properties
> * *4. From the list of network components, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
> and click the Properties button.
> * *5. From the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window select the
> Alternate Configuration tab.
>
> Specify the IP parameters that should be used should the primary IP
> configuration fail. If you don't see the Alternate Configuration tab, set
> the IP for DHCP (automatic IP/DNS assignment) first. The Alternate
> Configuration tab will then appear.
>
> If you don't want to wait for the first step to time out (when it doesn't
> find the DHCP server) and switch to the Alternate Configuration OR you have
> more than one network you want to set up, use third-party utilities. The
> Thinkvantage Access Connections is actually quite good and useful.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ -http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Malke

Gizzo wrote:

> Thanks for the help. it worked! now i uninstalled ThinkVantage's
> Access Connections.
>
> However, I've been getting problems whenever I undock the PC, go
> somewhere, dock. Instead of remembering the alternative IP I
> specified, Vista places what seems like random stuff:
>
> IP: 169.254.77.37 (supposed to be 10.11.2.xxx)
> Subnet:255.255.0.0 (stb 255.255.254.0)
> Gateway: blank
> DNS: correct
>
> any clues as to why this occurs? this is really a problem because i
> find myself having to reboot everytime i undock and dock again.

The 169.* address is because your computer can't get an IP address from the
DHCP server. This isn't "random stuff". Since I have no idea what is
providing DHCP at your new location, I can't guess. Personally, I would
have kept the ThinkVantage.

I thought you needed to turn off the computer to undock safely anyway.
Apparently you aren't doing this. Check with Lenovo tech support or look at
your computer manual to see how to safely undock/dock. If it is OK to
undock by just putting the machine to sleep (eg., closing the lid), then
you will need to release the IP address - or turn off the wireless
networking if you're connecting wirelessly - before you do this.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Gizzo

Re: connection profiles in vista?
work IT requires static IP so i configured IP to be auto (DHCP) with
the alternative IP which contains our work LAN. I thought that with
this config, Vista would first search for DHCP and after having found
none, will use the alternative IP I entered. This works only on fresh
start up.

As for undocking/docking, you dont need to turn off computer to safely
undock. Vista and Thinkpad both have an undock safely functionality
and both works perfectly.

the problem again is that the alternative IP feature only works from a
fresh start scenario but not from an undock/redock scenario. I want to
know why and how to resolve it.

Gizzo wrote:

> work IT requires static IP so i configured IP to be auto (DHCP) with
> the alternative IP which contains our work LAN. I thought that with
> this config, Vista would first search for DHCP and after having found
> none, will use the alternative IP I entered. This works only on fresh
> start up.
>
> As for undocking/docking, you dont need to turn off computer to safely
> undock. Vista and Thinkpad both have an undock safely functionality
> and both works perfectly.
>
> the problem again is that the alternative IP feature only works from a
> fresh start scenario but not from an undock/redock scenario. I want to
> know why and how to resolve it.

You still haven't said whether you are connecting wirelessly or not. The
behavior you're describing is normal when connecting wirelessly since the
wireless connection doesn't survive sleep well in most cases.

Contact Lenovo tech support and ask them if there is a workaround for their
machine or disconnect from the network with whatever adapter you're using
before you undock.

I'm sorry but I don't have any further ideas for you.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Gizzo

Re: connection profiles in vista?
Sorry missed that question. No the problem does not occur with
wireless since Vista seems to remember wireless profile and IP and
network config can be set per profile.

This happens on a wired LAN.

On Aug 6, 9:58*pm, Malke <ma...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Gizzo wrote:
> > work IT requires static IP so i configured IP to be auto (DHCP) with
> > the alternative IP which contains our work LAN. I thought that with
> > this config, Vista would first search for DHCP and after having found
> > none, will use the alternative IP I entered. This works only on fresh
> > start up.

> > As for undocking/docking, you dont need to turn off computer to safely
> > undock. Vista and Thinkpad both have an undock safely functionality
> > and both works perfectly.

> > the problem again is that the alternative IP feature only works from a
> > fresh start scenario but not from an undock/redock scenario. I want to
> > know why and how to resolve it.

> You still haven't said whether you are connecting wirelessly or not. The
> behavior you're describing is normal when connecting wirelessly since the
> wireless connection doesn't survive sleep well in most cases.
>
> Contact Lenovo tech support and ask them if there is a workaround for their
> machine or disconnect from the network with whatever adapter you're using
> before you undock.
>
> I'm sorry but I don't have any further ideas for you.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ -http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Spaceman

Re: connection profiles in vista?
Hi Gizzo,
When you connect at home,
Does it have to be automatically assigned?
Are you connecting to your own home network or
an ISP account?

--
James M Driscoll Jr
MCTS (Vista)