multiple wireless network of the same name

Gizzo

multiple wireless network of the same name
I connect my laptop (Thinkpad X60S on Vista Business) to a WRT54G
linksys wireless router and let's say my SSID is HOME.

My problem is this: When I try to connect Vista sees 3 and sometimes 4
networks of the same SSID, e.g. HOME, HOME (2), HOME (3) and HOME (4).
It is the same network. Why is this happening and how do I solve it?

Thanks.
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: multiple wireless network of the same name
Either a lot of folks in your area use the same SSID or in the past you have
created then recreated the same network. Pick a unique SSID for your
network. You can also merge/delete networks. See this screen shot. You will
be asked for your admin password...

http://www.dslreports.com/speak/slid...Mjk 4Nw%3D%3D

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Gizzo" <gbacareza@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I connect my laptop (Thinkpad X60S on Vista Business) to a WRT54G
> linksys wireless router and let's say my SSID is HOME.
>
> My problem is this: When I try to connect Vista sees 3 and sometimes 4
> networks of the same SSID, e.g. HOME, HOME (2), HOME (3) and HOME (4).
> It is the same network. Why is this happening and how do I solve it?
>
> Thanks.

Gizzo

Re: multiple wireless network of the same name
I'm pretty sure I used a unique SSID. (I just used HOME as an
example.)

Also I don't remember recreating the same network. I just created in
once.

I have tried merging deleting but the problem always recurs. Example,
I merge the duplicate names today. When I access tomorrow, the problem
occurs again and I have to merge again and again. It's annoying.

I want to get to the root of the problem and solve it.

On Jul 24, 5:19*pm, "Sooner Al [MVP]" <Soone...@somewhere.net.invalid>
wrote:
> Either a lot of folks in your area use the same SSID or in the past you have
> created then recreated the same network. Pick a unique SSID for your
> network. You can also merge/delete networks. See this screen shot. You will
> be asked for your admin password...
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/speak/slid...33768&ret=L2Zv....
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> rights...
> How to ask a questionhttp://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>
> "Gizzo" <gbacar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I connect my laptop (Thinkpad X60S on Vista Business) to a WRT54G
> > linksys wireless router and let's say my SSID is HOME.

> > My problem is this: When I try to connect Vista sees 3 and sometimes 4
> > networks of the same SSID, e.g. HOME, HOME (2), HOME (3) and HOME (4).
> > It is the same network. Why is this happening and how do I solve it?

> > Thanks.

Gizzo

Re: multiple wireless network of the same name
any solutions? Thanks

On Jul 24, 6:35*pm, Gizzo <gbacar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure I used a unique SSID. (I just used HOME as an
> example.)
>
> Also I don't remember recreating the same network. I just created in
> once.
>
> I have tried merging deleting but the problem always recurs. Example,
> I merge the duplicate names today. When I access tomorrow, the problem
> occurs again and I have to merge again and again. It's annoying.
>
> I want to get to the root of the problem and solve it.
>
> On Jul 24, 5:19*pm, "Sooner Al [MVP]" <Soone...@somewhere.net.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> > Either a lot of folks in your area use the same SSID or in the past youhave
> > created then recreated the same network. Pick a unique SSID for your
> > network. You can also merge/delete networks. See this screen shot. You will
> > be asked for your admin password...

> >http://www.dslreports.com/speak/slid...33768&ret=L2Zv...

> > --

> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
> > mutual benefit of all of us...
> > The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > rights...
> > How to ask a questionhttp://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

> > "Gizzo" <gbacar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > >I connect my laptop (Thinkpad X60S on Vista Business) to a WRT54G
> > > linksys wireless router and let's say my SSID is HOME.

> > > My problem is this: When I try to connect Vista sees 3 and sometimes 4
> > > networks of the same SSID, e.g. HOME, HOME (2), HOME (3) and HOME (4)..
> > > It is the same network. Why is this happening and how do I solve it?

> > > Thanks.

Gizzo

Re: multiple wireless network of the same name
any solutions?

On Jul 24, 6:35*pm, Gizzo <gbacar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure I used a unique SSID. (I just used HOME as an
> example.)
>
> Also I don't remember recreating the same network. I just created in
> once.
>
> I have tried merging deleting but the problem always recurs. Example,
> I merge the duplicate names today. When I access tomorrow, the problem
> occurs again and I have to merge again and again. It's annoying.
>
> I want to get to the root of the problem and solve it.
>
> On Jul 24, 5:19*pm, "Sooner Al [MVP]" <Soone...@somewhere.net.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> > Either a lot of folks in your area use the same SSID or in the past youhave
> > created then recreated the same network. Pick a unique SSID for your
> > network. You can also merge/delete networks. See this screen shot. You will
> > be asked for your admin password...

> >http://www.dslreports.com/speak/slid...33768&ret=L2Zv...

> > --

> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
> > mutual benefit of all of us...
> > The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > rights...
> > How to ask a questionhttp://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

> > "Gizzo" <gbacar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > >I connect my laptop (Thinkpad X60S on Vista Business) to a WRT54G
> > > linksys wireless router and let's say my SSID is HOME.

> > > My problem is this: When I try to connect Vista sees 3 and sometimes 4
> > > networks of the same SSID, e.g. HOME, HOME (2), HOME (3) and HOME (4)..
> > > It is the same network. Why is this happening and how do I solve it?

> > > Thanks.

Barb Bowman

Re: multiple wireless network of the same name
try going in and changing YOUR SSID to something totally different
and unique on the router and connect to the network wirelessly with
the new SSID name. then remove/delete everything else. do the SSID
names increment or no?

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP