Vista Home Premium can't RDP to Server2003 from Internet

wdueck

Vista Home Premium can't RDP to Server2003 from Internet
I have a laptop with Vista Home Premium that I can remote desktop to the 2003
server when on the same network using the private 192.168.x.x, but when I
take the laptop home and try to remote in using our public ip address, I get
the message "This computer can't connect to the remote computer". My XP
laptop can remote in just fine from the internet so the firewall / router is
working fine. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
-Wayne

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Home Premium can't RDP to Server2003 from Internet
Assuming you have a router in the office, have you forward port 3389?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"wdueck" <wdueck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news49641A6-4980-497E-A0F1-723D89C7E954@microsoft.com...
>I have a laptop with Vista Home Premium that I can remote desktop to the
>2003
> server when on the same network using the private 192.168.x.x, but when I
> take the laptop home and try to remote in using our public ip address, I
> get
> the message "This computer can't connect to the remote computer". My XP
> laptop can remote in just fine from the internet so the firewall / router
> is
> working fine. Any suggestions?
> Thanks,
> -Wayne

wdueck

Re: Vista Home Premium can't RDP to Server2003 from Internet
Yes, its changed from 3389 but the router is port forwarding to the server.
It works with my XP laptop.
-Wayne

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Assuming you have a router in the office, have you forward port 3389?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "wdueck" <wdueck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news49641A6-4980-497E-A0F1-723D89C7E954@microsoft.com...
> >I have a laptop with Vista Home Premium that I can remote desktop to the
> >2003
> > server when on the same network using the private 192.168.x.x, but when I
> > take the laptop home and try to remote in using our public ip address, I
> > get
> > the message "This computer can't connect to the remote computer". My XP
> > laptop can remote in just fine from the internet so the firewall / router
> > is
> > working fine. Any suggestions?
> > Thanks,
> > -Wayne

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Home Premium can't RDP to Server2003 from Internet
Can you telnet port 3389 from the internet?

--
> Yes, its changed from 3389 but the router is port forwarding to the
> server.
> It works with my XP laptop.
> -Wayne
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Assuming you have a router in the office, have you forward port 3389?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "wdueck" <wdueck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news49641A6-4980-497E-A0F1-723D89C7E954@microsoft.com...
>> >I have a laptop with Vista Home Premium that I can remote desktop to the
>> >2003
>> > server when on the same network using the private 192.168.x.x, but when
>> > take the laptop home and try to remote in using our public ip address,
>> > get
>> > the message "This computer can't connect to the remote computer". My XP
>> > laptop can remote in just fine from the internet so the firewall /
>> > router
>> > is
>> > working fine. Any suggestions?
>> > Thanks,
>> > -Wayne

wdueck

Re: Vista Home Premium can't RDP to Server2003 from Internet
I tried to telnet but got the message that telnet was an unknown command or
something like that. Does Vista Home Premium have telnet and if so, how do
you access/turn it on?
Thanks for responding,
-Wayne

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Can you telnet port 3389 from the internet?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "wdueck" <wdueck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, its changed from 3389 but the router is port forwarding to the
> > server.
> > It works with my XP laptop.
> > -Wayne
> >

> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Assuming you have a router in the office, have you forward port 3389?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> >> "wdueck" <wdueck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news49641A6-4980-497E-A0F1-723D89C7E954@microsoft.com...

LeftFoot

Re: Vista Home Premium can't RDP to Server2003 from Internet
Just to interject here -- no I don't think you'll find telnet included in
Vista. You could download PuTTY, an Open Source Telnet / SSH client.

"wdueck" wrote:

> I tried to telnet but got the message that telnet was an unknown command or
> something like that. Does Vista Home Premium have telnet and if so, how do
> you access/turn it on?
> Thanks for responding,
> -Wayne
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Can you telnet port 3389 from the internet?
> >
> > --
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "wdueck" <wdueck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes, its changed from 3389 but the router is port forwarding to the
> > > server.
> > > It works with my XP laptop.
> > > -Wayne

LeftFoot

Re: Vista Home Premium can't RDP to Server2003 from Internet
Sorry about the second post. I forgot to ask you to include a little more
information on your setup. We need to know just how you are connecting. Is
the Internet-facing IP address of your office router dynamically allocated or
fixed? If dynamic, are you using DynDNS or something like that?

You should walk through the settings for the WinXP and Vista systems
side-by-side to see if you can spot a variance between the two.

"wdueck" wrote:

> I tried to telnet but got the message that telnet was an unknown command or
> something like that. Does Vista Home Premium have telnet and if so, how do
> you access/turn it on?
> Thanks for responding,
> -Wayne
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Can you telnet port 3389 from the internet?
> >
> > --
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "wdueck" <wdueck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes, its changed from 3389 but the router is port forwarding to the
> > > server.
> > > It works with my XP laptop.
> > > -Wayne

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Home Premium can't RDP to Server2003 from Internet
By default, telnet is disabled. This how to may help.

Vista How toHow to Enable Remote Desktop On Vista · How to: Enable telnet on
Vista · How to: Enabling ICS on Vista · How to: find out which edition of
Vista running ...
www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vista.htm

--
>I tried to telnet but got the message that telnet was an unknown command or
> something like that. Does Vista Home Premium have telnet and if so, how do
> you access/turn it on?
> Thanks for responding,
> -Wayne
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Can you telnet port 3389 from the internet?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "wdueck" <wdueck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes, its changed from 3389 but the router is port forwarding to the
>> > server.
>> > It works with my XP laptop.
>> > -Wayne

LeftFoot

Re: Vista Home Premium can't RDP to Server2003 from Internet
I didn't know that. I never wondered about it, either. When I didn't get a
response from a telnet command I didn't bother looking any further, figuring
that it was good riddance.

But it is very nice to know this, especially for situations where
installation of an Open Source (or other third party) telnet substitute isn't
going to be accepted.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> By default, telnet is disabled. This how to may help.
>
> Vista How toHow to Enable Remote Desktop On Vista · How to: Enable telnet on
> Vista · How to: Enabling ICS on Vista · How to: find out which edition of
> Vista running ...
> www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vista.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "wdueck" <wdueck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried to telnet but got the message that telnet was an unknown command or
> > something like that. Does Vista Home Premium have telnet and if so, how do
> > you access/turn it on?
> > Thanks for responding,
> > -Wayne
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Can you telnet port 3389 from the internet?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

wdueck

Re: Vista Home Premium can't RDP to Server2003 from Internet
The Internet-facing IP address is static. Our XP machines can rdp just fine.
I don't have the Vista laptop in front of me but will try to telnet to the
rdp port later today or tomorrow morning.
Thanks