Creating secure shared folder.

steverashi

Creating secure shared folder.

We are currently trying to create a secure shared folder on a Vista
machine. The problem we have is that when we try to add users on XP
machines to the permissions tab they are not visable. Do the XP users
need a User account setting up on the Vista machine? The folder will
contain sensitive info and only a select few people need access. All
those needing access are running XP.

--
steverashi
Mick Murphy

RE: Creating secure shared folder.
Some help about Networking, Sharing, and Permissions with Vista and XP.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"steverashi" wrote:

> We are currently trying to create a secure shared folder on a Vista
> machine. The problem we have is that when we try to add users on XP
> machines to the permissions tab they are not visable. Do the XP users
> need a User account setting up on the Vista machine? The folder will
> contain sensitive info and only a select few people need access. All
> those needing access are running XP.
>

> --
> steverashi

Malke

steverashi wrote:

> We are currently trying to create a secure shared folder on a Vista
> machine. The problem we have is that when we try to add users on XP
> machines to the permissions tab they are not visable. Do the XP users
> need a User account setting up on the Vista machine? The folder will
> contain sensitive info and only a select few people need access. All
> those needing access are running XP.

Yes. In a Workgroup (non-domain without a server), all users that need to
access shared resources need to have a matching user account and password
on the machine hosting the resources. Presumably you have Vista Business or
Ultimate so setting fine-grained permissions will be possible.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

steverashi

Malke;783994 Wrote:
> Yes. In a Workgroup (non-domain without a server), all users that need
> access shared resources need to have a matching user account and
> password
> on the machine hosting the resources. Presumably you have Vista
> Business or
> Ultimate so setting fine-grained permissions will be possible.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - 'index' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ)

You presumed correct. The xp machines all have a batch file that runs
on start up that connects to 3 mapped drives. All users have the same
batch file running so are able to access the drive where the new folder
is.
The problem is that when I go through the mapped drive I can open the
folder, but when going through My Network Places I can see the folder
but I am unable to access it.
I have added myself as a user with the same Username and Password as my
XP machine and added myself to the users that can access the folder but
I am still unable to access the folder.

--
steverashi
Malke

steverashi wrote:

You presumed correct. The xp machines all have a batch file that runs
> on start up that connects to 3 mapped drives. All users have the same
> batch file running so are able to access the drive where the new folder
> is.
> The problem is that when I go through the mapped drive I can open the
> folder, but when going through My Network Places I can see the folder
> but I am unable to access it.

Error message? What happens when you try?

> I have added myself as a user with the same Username and Password as my
> XP machine and added myself to the users that can access the folder but
> I am still unable to access the folder.

Error message? What happens when you try?

Double-check your user credentials if you are getting an "access denied"
error. Often this kind of misstep occurs when the user has cosmetically
changed the account name to his own when the underlying user account really
is "owner" or the like. Also, case matters with passwords.

If the other users can access that folder from the same XP machine and you
can't, something is wrong with your credentials. If the other users are on
different machines and you can't access that folder from your computer with
any other user account, then you've got something set wrong elsewhere,
probably with a firewall. In the absence of any quoted error messages,
that's as specific as I can get.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

steverashi

Re: Creating secure shared folder.

"'\\server\file' (file://\\server\file) is not accessible. You might not
have permission....... Access Denied"

This is the error message when trying to access the folder. I have
created a User name on the Vista machine the same as mine on the XP
machine. I can see the folder but cannot access.

--
steverashi
Malke

steverashi wrote:

> "'\\server\file' (file://\\server\file) is not accessible. You might not
> have permission....... Access Denied"
>
> This is the error message when trying to access the folder. I have
> created a User name on the Vista machine the same as mine on the XP
> machine. I can see the folder but cannot access.

Sorry, you keep giving me little bits of information but not the whole
picture. You definitely have something set wrong, either the passwords
don't match - or you didn't create passwords - and/or your firewall is
wrong. I really can't spend time guessing and waiting for you to supply the
next piece of the puzzle. Read through my general networking
troubleshooting steps below. Be systematic in your troubleshooting and you
will find your mistake and be able to correct it.

If this is too much, you still can't find the error, etc. then there is no
shame in hiring a local professional to come set you up. This will only
take a few minutes per machine. I don't recommend using a BigComputerStore
type of place.

****
Here are general network troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be
applicable to your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may look
daunting, but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions below
systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up your
sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a firewall, then you're
fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN allowance
with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you
would substitute your correct subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO
NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.
*****

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

John N

Re: Creating secure shared folder.
What is see left out here is the possibility of a Vista glitch. I have the
same problem with the same 'access denied' error but not with batch files or
even mapped drive. I can simply get to my shared folder from some computers
and not others. If I an asked for a username and password, then it works.
But if I can type in the IP address, say \\192.168.1.108, it opens with the
shared folders but not allowing me to open them.

"Malke" wrote:

> [...]

> assigned to each user account can be different; the accounts/passwords just
> need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT NEGLECT TO CREATE
> PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a machine to boot directly
> to the Desktop (into one particular user's account) for convenience, you
> can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:
>
> Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm
>
> D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
> Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).
>
> E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
> directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
> directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
> See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

steverashi

Re: Creating secure shared folder.

Malke,

Thanks for your replies. I have gone through the guide step by step and
am able to share the folder and access the contents. The problem is that
when I remove the Everyone group I can no longer acces the folder. Does
this need to be left in. I do not want any other persons viewing this
folder as it will contain sensitive information.
I do have a user account on the vista machine and have set a new group
with me as the only member, but as I said when I remove the Everyone
group I can no longer access even though my user account as well as the
new group have permission to access.
Thanks.

--
steverashi
Malke

steverashi wrote:

> Malke,
>
> Thanks for your replies. I have gone through the guide step by step and
> am able to share the folder and access the contents. The problem is that
> when I remove the Everyone group I can no longer acces the folder. Does
> this need to be left in. I do not want any other persons viewing this
> folder as it will contain sensitive information.
> I do have a user account on the vista machine and have set a new group
> with me as the only member, but as I said when I remove the Everyone
> group I can no longer access even though my user account as well as the
> new group have permission to access.

Because you didn't post to the original thread or quote anything from
before, I have no idea what your situation is. Please provide the missing
details.

Malke