shared printers on an xp/vista wireless network

ferro

shared printers on an xp/vista wireless network
Hi
I have an XP main computer with a a Canon 2355 printer attached. A
belkin wireless router is attached and I run a vista laptop from
another room. The wireless network works well and I can access the XP
PC from the laptop and access the internet. The Canon printer is
shared and showing up on the laptop as shared and as the default
printer. However I cannot print to the Canon from the laptop. Nothing
shows in the print queue on the XP PC but eventually shows an error on
the laptop. Any help will be grateful.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: shared printers on an xp/vista wireless network
you may want to install the printer as local printer first and then
remapping it as network printer. This search result may help.
Vista Print Issues
Solved: Vista print Error 0x00000866 Resolution: 1. Add a Local
Printer and then create a new port pointing to the shared printer. ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaprint.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"ferro" <pferran@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> Hi
> I have an XP main computer with a a Canon 2355 printer attached. A
> belkin wireless router is attached and I run a vista laptop from
> another room. The wireless network works well and I can access the XP
> PC from the laptop and access the internet. The Canon printer is
> shared and showing up on the laptop as shared and as the default
> printer. However I cannot print to the Canon from the laptop. Nothing
> shows in the print queue on the XP PC but eventually shows an error on
> the laptop. Any help will be grateful.

Mick Murphy

RE: shared printers on an xp/vista wireless network
Did you add a Canon 2355 vista compatible Driver to the Laptop?
Also, in laptop>Start>Network>Network and Sharing>Add Network device>Browse
to XP's Printer?>follow instructions to add it.
Have a read below as well.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"ferro" wrote:

> Hi
> I have an XP main computer with a a Canon 2355 printer attached. A
> belkin wireless router is attached and I run a vista laptop from
> another room. The wireless network works well and I can access the XP
> PC from the laptop and access the internet. The Canon printer is
> shared and showing up on the laptop as shared and as the default
> printer. However I cannot print to the Canon from the laptop. Nothing
> shows in the print queue on the XP PC but eventually shows an error on
> the laptop. Any help will be grateful.

surfmavk

RE: shared printers on an xp/vista wireless network
This is exactly the same problem I have been having since I bought my Vista
Ultimate laptop, except I have an HP 6310xi printer. I still can print
wirelessly and it has been months and I have tried everything written in
every thread. It is maddening.

"ferro" wrote:

> Hi
> I have an XP main computer with a a Canon 2355 printer attached. A
> belkin wireless router is attached and I run a vista laptop from
> another room. The wireless network works well and I can access the XP
> PC from the laptop and access the internet. The Canon printer is
> shared and showing up on the laptop as shared and as the default
> printer. However I cannot print to the Canon from the laptop. Nothing
> shows in the print queue on the XP PC but eventually shows an error on
> the laptop. Any help will be grateful.

MaxB

RE: shared printers on an xp/vista wireless network
I have a very similar problem. I have a new HP laptop with the 64-bit version
of Vista Home premium. I've downloaded SP1, so that can't be the problem. I
have four computers on my home network: two xp machines and the laptop with
Vista connected to the network wirelessly, and a Vista desktop withj the
32-bit version of Windows home premium connected to the Lynksys network
router by ethernet connection. I find I can access a Canon MP160 hooked up to
one of the XP machines easily from the laptop and the other XP machine, but
not the Desktop Vista. When I try to add the Canon to the desktop Vista
printers, I am asked to provide a driver, which is not available.

Strangely enough, when I try to access my Epson CX6600 printer from my
laptop via my network, I get a similar message, even though when I hook the
CX6600 directly to the laptop it loads the driver and prints just fine.

Finally. I can ping all the computers from my laptop, but none of the other
computers can ping the laptop, so it seems there is something going on with
my communications protocol. Note that I can access the internet with any of
my computers.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

"surfmavk" wrote:

> This is exactly the same problem I have been having since I bought my Vista
> Ultimate laptop, except I have an HP 6310xi printer. I still can print
> wirelessly and it has been months and I have tried everything written in
> every thread. It is maddening.
>
> "ferro" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I have an XP main computer with a a Canon 2355 printer attached. A
> > belkin wireless router is attached and I run a vista laptop from
> > another room. The wireless network works well and I can access the XP
> > PC from the laptop and access the internet. The Canon printer is
> > shared and showing up on the laptop as shared and as the default
> > printer. However I cannot print to the Canon from the laptop. Nothing
> > shows in the print queue on the XP PC but eventually shows an error on
> > the laptop. Any help will be grateful.

Quaoar

Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
> you may want to install the printer as local printer first and then
> remapping it as network printer. This search result may help.
> Vista Print Issues
> Solved: Vista print Error 0x00000866 Resolution: 1. Add a Local
> Printer and then create a new port pointing to the shared printer. ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaprint.htm

This has been required/recommended since XP, at least. I'm left
wondering why Microsoft has not promoted this option more clearly on the
printer setup?