Problem with VPN over Vista

David

Problem with VPN over Vista
Previously, I was not having problems with VPN over Vista (approx. 2 months
ago). I recently had need to use my VPN connection to work and will be using
it more frequently. Now, I connect to the VPN connection and everything
works fine. I can run remote desktop and work on my computer @ work through
the connection. However, the problem is with my laptop. I cannot access any
webpages on my laptop once I connect to the VPN connection. I did not used
to have this problem. I could toggle between the remote desktop and and my
actual desktop and use the internet on both. Now, the VPN seems to
automatically disable all internet capabilities on laptop unless I am going
through the remote desktop connection, in which case, i am actually
connecting to the internet via my work computer, and it is much slower trying
to work through that connection.

Does anyone have any ideas on what changed and if I can fix this?

Also, I have not changed any of the settings of my VPN connection since I
have had it, so that should not be the problem.

Thanks

John Whitworth

Re: Problem with VPN over Vista

> Previously, I was not having problems with VPN over Vista (approx. 2
> months
> ago). I recently had need to use my VPN connection to work and will be
> using
> it more frequently. Now, I connect to the VPN connection and everything
> works fine. I can run remote desktop and work on my computer @ work
> through
> the connection. However, the problem is with my laptop. I cannot access
> any
> webpages on my laptop once I connect to the VPN connection. I did not
> used
> to have this problem. I could toggle between the remote desktop and and
> my
> actual desktop and use the internet on both. Now, the VPN seems to
> automatically disable all internet capabilities on laptop unless I am
> going
> through the remote desktop connection, in which case, i am actually
> connecting to the internet via my work computer, and it is much slower
> trying
> to work through that connection.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on what changed and if I can fix this?

It's a setting in the VPN PCF file as far as I know (for Cisco, anyway). Our
company sets our VPNs up like this too. It stops Internet traffic being able
to interfere with your VPN session. The way around it is to install a
Virtual PC, running another OS (I use my old XP Pro license in it), and set
the VPN up on that. So you then use your normal internet connection (Vista)
to do anything outside of work's VPN, whilst the Virtual PC running XP is
locked into using the VPN connection only.

There may be other ways to do this, but I find this an ideal way to
segregate work and leisure!

Cheers

JW

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Problem with VPN over Vista
Assuming this is windows VPN, you may want to uncheck use remote network
gateway. this search result may help.
routing issues on vpn
Can't access the Internet while using VPN Can't access the remote
network after unchecking "Use default gateway on Remote Network" ...
www.chicagotech.net/routingissuesonvpn.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net