Have new laptop, can't print to network printer

Bruce A

Have new laptop, can't print to network printer
Just got a new laptop with Vista, trying to print to the printer connected to
my desktop running XP. I've tried most of the suggestions I've seen in this
forum but still having no luck. Can someone refer me to a step-by-step
procedure to troubleshoot this before I pull the rest of my hair out? Thanks!

Bruce

Mick Murphy

RE: Have new laptop, can't print to network printer
You don't say what you HAVE tried; that makes it hard.
In XP, make sure file and Printer sharing is turned on.
If run Norton, make sure LAN or file and printer sharing is allowed in its
firewall exceptions.

Go to Printer's Manufacturer's website, and download the latest vista
compatible Printer Driver to install in your laptop.
If no Vista Driver for it; forget that printer!
All you could do then is copy and paste files to XP machine over Network;
print from it!

In Vista>Start>Network and Sharing>Add Network Device>Browse to XP's
Printer> follow directions to install
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Bruce A" wrote:

> Just got a new laptop with Vista, trying to print to the printer connected to
> my desktop running XP. I've tried most of the suggestions I've seen in this
> forum but still having no luck. Can someone refer me to a step-by-step
> procedure to troubleshoot this before I pull the rest of my hair out? Thanks!
>
> Bruce

Mick Murphy

RE: Have new laptop, can't print to network printer
read this as well.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Bruce A" wrote:

> Just got a new laptop with Vista, trying to print to the printer connected to
> my desktop running XP. I've tried most of the suggestions I've seen in this
> forum but still having no luck. Can someone refer me to a step-by-step
> procedure to troubleshoot this before I pull the rest of my hair out? Thanks!
>
> Bruce

Bruce A

RE: Have new laptop, can't print to network printer
Had no trouble installing the HP printer on the Vista laptop. One suggestion
was to install the same driver on the XP desktop, but HP does not have a
Vista driver to download, stating it is already installed on the Vista OS.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> You don't say what you HAVE tried; that makes it hard.
> In XP, make sure file and Printer sharing is turned on.
> If run Norton, make sure LAN or file and printer sharing is allowed in its
> firewall exceptions.
>
> Go to Printer's Manufacturer's website, and download the latest vista
> compatible Printer Driver to install in your laptop.
> If no Vista Driver for it; forget that printer!
> All you could do then is copy and paste files to XP machine over Network;
> print from it!
>
> In Vista>Start>Network and Sharing>Add Network Device>Browse to XP's
> Printer> follow directions to install
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "Bruce A" wrote:
>
> > Just got a new laptop with Vista, trying to print to the printer connected to
> > my desktop running XP. I've tried most of the suggestions I've seen in this
> > forum but still having no luck. Can someone refer me to a step-by-step
> > procedure to troubleshoot this before I pull the rest of my hair out? Thanks!
> >
> > Bruce

Bruce A

RE: Have new laptop, can't print to network printer
Still no success getting it to print from the Vista laptop. Not sure what
else to do. May have to call someone to help me out. Hate giving up!

Thanks for the help.
Bruce

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> read this as well.

> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
>
> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how their
> Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords (passwords can be different) on ALL computers in your Network) If
> you have it ON, you will be asked for a username and password when you try to
> access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
> Wizard to include Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network
> set up prior to adding a Vista computer to it(redoing the Wizard seems to
> work for XP machines!).
>
> In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> and Printer Sharing.
>
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "Bruce A" wrote:
>
> > Just got a new laptop with Vista, trying to print to the printer connected to
> > my desktop running XP. I've tried most of the suggestions I've seen in this
> > forum but still having no luck. Can someone refer me to a step-by-step
> > procedure to troubleshoot this before I pull the rest of my hair out? Thanks!
> >
> > Bruce

Mick Murphy

RE: Have new laptop, can't print to network printer
You don't install a vista Printer driver on the XP computer.
You leave the Driver there that you installed when you installed thePrinter
with its XP driver
You still don't say whether you turned on XP's file and
Printer sharing !!!!!!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Bruce A" wrote:

> Had no trouble installing the HP printer on the Vista laptop. One suggestion
> was to install the same driver on the XP desktop, but HP does not have a
> Vista driver to download, stating it is already installed on the Vista OS.
>

> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > You don't say what you HAVE tried; that makes it hard.
> > In XP, make sure file and Printer sharing is turned on.
> > If run Norton, make sure LAN or file and printer sharing is allowed in its
> > firewall exceptions.
> >
> > Go to Printer's Manufacturer's website, and download the latest vista
> > compatible Printer Driver to install in your laptop.
> > If no Vista Driver for it; forget that printer!
> > All you could do then is copy and paste files to XP machine over Network;
> > print from it!
> >
> > In Vista>Start>Network and Sharing>Add Network Device>Browse to XP's
> > Printer> follow directions to install
> > --
> > Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
> >

> > "Bruce A" wrote:
> >
> > > Just got a new laptop with Vista, trying to print to the printer connected to
> > > my desktop running XP. I've tried most of the suggestions I've seen in this
> > > forum but still having no luck. Can someone refer me to a step-by-step
> > > procedure to troubleshoot this before I pull the rest of my hair out? Thanks!
> > >
> > > Bruce

Bruce A

RE: Have new laptop, can't print to network printer
Thought I read somewhere that the same printer driver needed to be on the XP
machine but apparently not, and good thing since I can't get it from HP.

Yes, I believe I have the file/printer sharing turned on as required. Guess
I may need to get on the phone with someone today and see if they can help me
troubleshoot. I appreciate your input Mick.

Bruce