Will not connect to network with WPA enabled

Johnc

Will not connect to network with WPA enabled
I bought a Vista laptop a few weeks ago and during the setup accessed the
Internet using wireless with WPA enabled. A few hours later it lost the
connection and now will not connect when using WPA. No problems if security
is disabled or WEP is enabled. Unfortunately my other laptop will not stay
connected if using WEP.

The Event Viewer reports 'Layer 2 security key exchange did not generate
multicast keys before timeout'.

The Diagostics tells me to 'Try to connect again' and then 'Could not
diagnose the problem', wonderful!

The router is a 3Com with latest firmware update and Vista has SP1.

Any ideas, please

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Will not connect to network with WPA enabled
Hi
This is even stranger: "Unfortunately my other laptop will not stay
connected if using WEP".
Makes believe thta your Router is going Gaga .
Take the two computers to a friend thta has a Router (or borrow Router
) and try the the computers with WPA.
If it works with another Router get a new Router (There are Routers for $20
after rebate. Example,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833156038 ).
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Johnc" <Johnc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a Vista laptop a few weeks ago and during the setup accessed the
> Internet using wireless with WPA enabled. A few hours later it lost the
> connection and now will not connect when using WPA. No problems if
> security
> is disabled or WEP is enabled. Unfortunately my other laptop will not
> stay
> connected if using WEP.
>
> The Event Viewer reports 'Layer 2 security key exchange did not generate
> multicast keys before timeout'.
>
> The Diagostics tells me to 'Try to connect again' and then 'Could not
> diagnose the problem', wonderful!
>
> The router is a 3Com with latest firmware update and Vista has SP1.
>
> Any ideas, please

Mick Murphy

RE: Will not connect to network with WPA enabled
In the laptop do you have the latest Drivers for the Network Adaptor?
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Johnc" wrote:

> I bought a Vista laptop a few weeks ago and during the setup accessed the
> Internet using wireless with WPA enabled. A few hours later it lost the
> connection and now will not connect when using WPA. No problems if security
> is disabled or WEP is enabled. Unfortunately my other laptop will not stay
> connected if using WEP.
>
> The Event Viewer reports 'Layer 2 security key exchange did not generate
> multicast keys before timeout'.
>
> The Diagostics tells me to 'Try to connect again' and then 'Could not
> diagnose the problem', wonderful!
>
> The router is a 3Com with latest firmware update and Vista has SP1.
>
> Any ideas, please

Johnc

Re: Will not connect to network with WPA enabled
Jack

Many thanks for the info. I now have a new router and all is working fine.

Johnc