printer Sharing

Sam P

printer Sharing
My desktop is running XP Home. I have a Trendnet wireless router attached to
it. My laptop is running Vista. I want to share the printer attached to the
desktop machine. My laptop does not give me the option to turn printer
sharing on. On my old laptop, which also ran XP I had to load the Trendnet
software on to the laptop to share the printer. That seemed cumbersome. I
wonder if I had to do that. In any case can I share this printer on the new
laptop without loading the Trendnet software on it? Thanks Sam P
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: printer Sharing
Have you enabled file and printer sharing for microsoft networks and client
for microsoft networks?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Sam P" <Sam P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My desktop is running XP Home. I have a Trendnet wireless router attached
> it. My laptop is running Vista. I want to share the printer attached to
> the
> desktop machine. My laptop does not give me the option to turn printer
> sharing on. On my old laptop, which also ran XP I had to load the Trendnet
> software on to the laptop to share the printer. That seemed cumbersome.
> wonder if I had to do that. In any case can I share this printer on the
> new
> laptop without loading the Trendnet software on it? Thanks Sam P

Sam P

Re: printer Sharing
If you mean have I done this one the desktop mahine, I don't think so. Guide
me as to where?

However, when I bought the wireless router (Trendnet) and loaded their
software th enetwork works fine. I'm also wondering if I had to load their
software? Thx Sam P

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Have you enabled file and printer sharing for microsoft networks and client
> for microsoft networks?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Sam P" <Sam P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My desktop is running XP Home. I have a Trendnet wireless router attached
> > it. My laptop is running Vista. I want to share the printer attached to
> > the
> > desktop machine. My laptop does not give me the option to turn printer
> > sharing on. On my old laptop, which also ran XP I had to load the Trendnet
> > software on to the laptop to share the printer. That seemed cumbersome.
> > wonder if I had to do that. In any case can I share this printer on the
> > new
> > laptop without loading the Trendnet software on it? Thanks Sam P

Phillip Devoll

Re: printer Sharing

"Sam P" <Sam P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My desktop is running XP Home. I have a Trendnet wireless router attached
> it. My laptop is running Vista. I want to share the printer attached to
> the
> desktop machine. My laptop does not give me the option to turn printer
> sharing on. On my old laptop, which also ran XP I had to load the Trendnet
> software on to the laptop to share the printer. That seemed cumbersome.
> wonder if I had to do that. In any case can I share this printer on the
> new
> laptop without loading the Trendnet software on it? Thanks Sam P

You need to turn on file and printer sharing on the desktop and the share
the printer.... not on the laptop

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: printer Sharing
This how to may help.
How to share files or a folder in Vista
How to share files or a folder on Windows Vista. Beside Public folder
sharing, you can share files or a folder on your computer. ...
www.howtonetworking.com/vista/sharingfolders.htm

--
> If you mean have I done this one the desktop mahine, I don't think so.
> Guide
> me as to where?
>
> However, when I bought the wireless router (Trendnet) and loaded their
> software th enetwork works fine. I'm also wondering if I had to load
> their
> software? Thx Sam P
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Have you enabled file and printer sharing for microsoft networks and
>> client
>> for microsoft networks?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Sam P" <Sam P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My desktop is running XP Home. I have a Trendnet wireless router
>> > attached
>> > it. My laptop is running Vista. I want to share the printer attached
>> > the
>> > desktop machine. My laptop does not give me the option to turn printer
>> > sharing on. On my old laptop, which also ran XP I had to load the
>> > Trendnet
>> > software on to the laptop to share the printer. That seemed
>> > cumbersome.
>> > wonder if I had to do that. In any case can I share this printer on
>> > the
>> > new
>> > laptop without loading the Trendnet software on it? Thanks Sam P

Mick Murphy

RE: printer Sharing
Sam, have a read below on Networking XP and Vista.
It includes how to turn on Printer and File Sharing.

Once you have that sorted, you have to have the latest vista compatible
Printer driver installed in your laptop.
In Vista>Start>Network>Network and Sharing>Add Network Device>Browse to the
XP's Printer>Fiollow prompts to install it.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)