Adding printer sharing to network

rooch is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adding printer sharing to network
Have a desktop running vista basic and laptop running home premium. Printer is on the desktop and I am trying to give access to the laptop. I have attempted to utilize the local printer installaton, using \\pc name\printer, and am always confronted with access denied (this is done on the laptop). Do I have to have the printer drivers on the laptop as well as the desktop? Am I missing something obvious, this has given me days of frustration. Thanks for any help.
Malke

Re: Adding printer sharing to network
rooch wrote:

> Have a desktop running vista basic and laptop running home premium.
> Printer is on the desktop and I am trying to give access to the laptop.
> I have attempted to utilize the local printer installaton, using \\pc
> name\printer, and am always confronted with access denied (this is done
> on the laptop). Do I have to have the printer drivers on the laptop as
> well as the desktop? Am I missing something obvious, this has given me
> days of frustration. Thanks for any help.

Yes, you need to install the printer on all machines that are going to use
it. You also need to set up file/printer sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

charliech@invalid.address.com

Re: Adding printer sharing to network
>On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 16:44:48 -0700, Malke <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>rooch wrote:
>

>> Have a desktop running vista basic and laptop running home premium.
>> Printer is on the desktop and I am trying to give access to the laptop.
>> I have attempted to utilize the local printer installaton, using \\pc
>> name\printer, and am always confronted with access denied (this is done
>> on the laptop). Do I have to have the printer drivers on the laptop as
>> well as the desktop? Am I missing something obvious, this has given me
>> days of frustration. Thanks for any help.
>>

>Yes, you need to install the printer on all machines that are going to use
>it. You also need to set up file/printer sharing.
>
>Excellent, thorough, yet easy to understand article about File/Printer
>Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
>and folders:
>
>http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
>
>Malke

Malke,

I have a similar situation. I have a Win XP Desktop with 2 printers
attached (both USB connection). I have a laptop with Vista and linked
to the Internet and the network via a Linksys 4-Port Router.

I cannot figure out how to share the printers with the laptop. I have
the desktop harddrive with e partitions (C, D, E) and share the E
drive with the laptop with no problem.

But I can't seem to figure out how to share the printers. I have both
on the desktop set to "share". When I go to the laptop and select
"add printer", it shows printers, but clicking on them to share,
produces an error - cannot complete the operation or something like
that.

What am I doing wrong and how can I correct it to share the printers?

Thanks for any tips.

Charlie
Jim

<charliech@invalid.address.com> wrote in message
> >On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 16:44:48 -0700, Malke <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>rooch wrote:
>>

>>> Have a desktop running vista basic and laptop running home premium.
>>> Printer is on the desktop and I am trying to give access to the laptop.
>>> I have attempted to utilize the local printer installaton, using \\pc
>>> name\printer, and am always confronted with access denied (this is done
>>> on the laptop). Do I have to have the printer drivers on the laptop as
>>> well as the desktop? Am I missing something obvious, this has given me
>>> days of frustration. Thanks for any help.
>>>

>>Yes, you need to install the printer on all machines that are going to use
>>it. You also need to set up file/printer sharing.
>>
>>Excellent, thorough, yet easy to understand article about File/Printer
>>Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
>>and folders:
>>
>>http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
>>
>>Malke

> Malke,
>
> I have a similar situation. I have a Win XP Desktop with 2 printers
> attached (both USB connection). I have a laptop with Vista and linked
> to the Internet and the network via a Linksys 4-Port Router.
>
> I cannot figure out how to share the printers with the laptop. I have
> the desktop harddrive with e partitions (C, D, E) and share the E
> drive with the laptop with no problem.
>
> But I can't seem to figure out how to share the printers. I have both
> on the desktop set to "share". When I go to the laptop and select
> "add printer", it shows printers, but clicking on them to share,
> produces an error - cannot complete the operation or something like
> that.
>
> What am I doing wrong and how can I correct it to share the printers?
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> Charlie

Have you installed the printer driver on the laptop?

Does the manual for the printer tell you how to get this job done?
Jim