preparing for broadband

neuro

preparing for broadband
Believe it or not, I live in an area where broadband (DSL) is just arriving,
so I am excited.

I've been watching some of the Vista newsgroups for about six months, since
I installed.

I'd much appreciate some pointers, or a good link or two, to preparing to go
online with DSL.
I am quite literate with computers, pretty fair with Vista (Business) and
have two PC's networked
with it.

However, I really know absolutely nothing about DSL, and things like
routers, firewalls (hardware),
etc. My ISP will be providing a modem, is all I know, really.

What do I need, and how can I prepare? Of course I'm on dial-up now. Unless
I get a 2nd
nic, I'll probably be using ICS or proxy.exe (analogx) for the other
computer, which I don't
think needs to be connected very much (updates, etc). I have a bit of
paranoia about being
online at such a speed, and constantly, as well.

Thanks much

Mick Murphy

RE: preparing for broadband
http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/02/21/h...r-using-vista/

The best way to do it by using a Router.
But, you are getiing a modem supplied, so, read the above link.
It is the way you wish to go!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"neuro" wrote:

> Believe it or not, I live in an area where broadband (DSL) is just arriving,
> so I am excited.
>
> I've been watching some of the Vista newsgroups for about six months, since
> I installed.
>
> I'd much appreciate some pointers, or a good link or two, to preparing to go
> online with DSL.
> I am quite literate with computers, pretty fair with Vista (Business) and
> have two PC's networked
> with it.
>
> However, I really know absolutely nothing about DSL, and things like
> routers, firewalls (hardware),
> etc. My ISP will be providing a modem, is all I know, really.
>
> What do I need, and how can I prepare? Of course I'm on dial-up now. Unless
> I get a 2nd
> nic, I'll probably be using ICS or proxy.exe (analogx) for the other
> computer, which I don't
> think needs to be connected very much (updates, etc). I have a bit of
> paranoia about being
> online at such a speed, and constantly, as well.
>
> Thanks much

Gordon

Re: preparing for broadband
"neuro" <some@where.net> wrote in message
> Believe it or not, I live in an area where broadband (DSL) is just
> arriving, so I am excited.
>
> I've been watching some of the Vista newsgroups for about six months,
> since I installed.
>
> I'd much appreciate some pointers, or a good link or two, to preparing to
> go online with DSL.
> I am quite literate with computers, pretty fair with Vista (Business) and
> have two PC's networked
> with it.
>
> However, I really know absolutely nothing about DSL, and things like
> routers, firewalls (hardware),
> etc. My ISP will be providing a modem, is all I know, really.
>
> What do I need, and how can I prepare? Of course I'm on dial-up now.
> Unless I get a 2nd
> nic, I'll probably be using ICS or proxy.exe (analogx) for the other
> computer, which I don't
> think needs to be connected very much (updates, etc). I have a bit of
> paranoia about being
> online at such a speed, and constantly, as well.
>
> Thanks much

Well I would most certainly advise AGAINST using ICS if you can possibly
avoid it. Your best bet would be to have some sort of set up as in
Modem-Router-switch-computers. A router will give you a NATS firewall as
well.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: preparing for broadband
The content of the following links will provide you with a basic tutorial
about Sharing Internet connection; it is short and to the point. The pages
were written by me ages ago. Ignore the prices, and the specific choice of
hardware, stick with the principles they are still the same.
Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -
http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=105
Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -
http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=48
What do I need for wireless networking? -
http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=122
The whole thing should look like this,
http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
DSL Authentication, http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"neuro" <some@where.net> wrote in message
> Believe it or not, I live in an area where broadband (DSL) is just
> arriving, so I am excited.
>
> I've been watching some of the Vista newsgroups for about six months,
> since I installed.
>
> I'd much appreciate some pointers, or a good link or two, to preparing to
> go online with DSL.
> I am quite literate with computers, pretty fair with Vista (Business) and
> have two PC's networked
> with it.
>
> However, I really know absolutely nothing about DSL, and things like
> routers, firewalls (hardware),
> etc. My ISP will be providing a modem, is all I know, really.
>
> What do I need, and how can I prepare? Of course I'm on dial-up now.
> Unless I get a 2nd
> nic, I'll probably be using ICS or proxy.exe (analogx) for the other
> computer, which I don't
> think needs to be connected very much (updates, etc). I have a bit of
> paranoia about being
> online at such a speed, and constantly, as well.
>
> Thanks much

neuro

Re: preparing for broadband

"neuro" <some@where.net> wrote in message
> Believe it or not, I live in an area where broadband (DSL) is just
> arriving, so I am excited.
>
> I've been watching some of the Vista newsgroups for about six months,
> since I installed.
>
> I'd much appreciate some pointers, or a good link or two, to preparing to
> go online with DSL.
> I am quite literate with computers, pretty fair with Vista (Business) and
> have two PC's networked
> with it.
>
> However, I really know absolutely nothing about DSL, and things like
> routers, firewalls (hardware),
> etc. My ISP will be providing a modem, is all I know, really.
>
> What do I need, and how can I prepare? Of course I'm on dial-up now.
> Unless I get a 2nd
> nic, I'll probably be using ICS or proxy.exe (analogx) for the other
> computer, which I don't
> think needs to be connected very much (updates, etc). I have a bit of
> paranoia about being
> online at such a speed, and constantly, as well.
>
> Thanks much

This is in reply to you all, three, and anyone else. Thank you a lot for
your help.

I tried several methods, and eventually found a site which said to Bridge
the connections.
I have a Motorola 'modem' (Netopia router) as I understand it. I did try
bridging the two
wired connections, and it seems to have worked quite well. I have internet
on both
computers without 3rd party software. The only real things I don't
understand are:
1) how secure (from the internet) is this? Both computers are set to
Public, with File-
sharing on. (the modem says it has NAT, hides my IP, etc)

2) Which means, I can access shared folders as long as I keep a link to
them, or map
them to a drive. It can sometimes be a pain to get that set up, though.
I've seen that
Discovery should be ON? In some posts. That cannot be correct, can it? Or
would
it only be on Locally, in the Windows Firewall.

3) Third of two... I'm about to 'permanenly' disable the AVG firewall, via
the service,
since it persists in re-enabling itself. Best way to go, using Win Vista
firewall? And
AVG virus/malware/etc? (Paid version)

Thank You again!