Vista Configuring Static IP for Remote Access

ASTCR is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista Configuring Static IP for Remote Access
Hello All,
Can some please explain how to setup a computer that we can access files from remotely using the web. BigPond told me that using a Static IP would be the solution to the problem but no-one at bigpond seems to be able to assist with setting this up. This is the configuration that we have,
ASDL2
2-Wire 2701HGV-W Modem (bigpond)
3 computers (running Vista) accessing this modem (wireless) to access internet/emails.
1 Static IP address.
I have contacted our local computer guru and he said that it is beyond him, we are located in a regional town so I am hoping someone out there will be able to provide some easy to follow instructions. I am sure I would not be the only person to try and do this, I am hoping that some one has already had some success.
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Vista Configuring Static IP for Remote Access
You have these issues...

1. Setup a static private LAN IP for the desktop(s) you want to access
remotely with Remote Desktop (or VNC/etc)...
2. Setup port forwarding through your DSL modem/router.
3. Addressing of the DSL modem/router so you can access it from the public
internet.

So...

See this page for 1...

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

See this page for 2. This is dependent on what program your using for remote
access. What is that by the way?

http://www.portforward.com/english/r...HGV-Windex.htm

As far as 3 is concerned...

Usually ISPs assign dynamic IP addresses to residential accounts. Do you
have a residential account or a business account? Beyond that you can use a
free service like No-IP.com to map a dynamic IP address to a fully qualified
domain name (FQDN). The way it works is the small No-IP.com client program
runs on one of your PCs. It contacts the No-IP.com servers on a time
scheduled basis. The No-IP.com servers then know your present IP address and
map that to your FQDN. That information is propagated over the internet so
you can call home using the FQDN from anywhere in the world and not need to
worry about the IP address.

https://www.no-ip.com

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375