Cannot open 'connect to' window

iJebus

Cannot open 'connect to' window
Hi there,
I'm running a Dell XPS 1530 and am encountering wireless difficulties. There
isn't any problem with the hardware that I'm aware of, everything is on and
using Vistumbler I can see that the wireless is finding AP's around me.

The problem is when I hit the "connect to a network" button, nothing
happens. Trying several routes it seems it just wont show me wireless
networks, or let me add them. That window just doesn't want to open.

Googled around and can't seem to find anyone with my exact problem, thought
it might have been this
(http://www.xoxideforums.com/networki...ou-server.html)
but that doesn't fix it. I'm at a loss so any ideas would be great.
Cheers guys
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cannot open 'connect to' window
It could be the 3rd party software issue. For troubleshooting, try to start
the Vista with clean boot.

windows faqsHow to run Windows OS with a clean boot How to stop the
Messenger Service ads How to tell who is logged on at a remote computer ...
www.howtonetworking.com/winfaqs.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"iJebus" <iJebus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> I'm running a Dell XPS 1530 and am encountering wireless difficulties.
> There
> isn't any problem with the hardware that I'm aware of, everything is on
> and
> using Vistumbler I can see that the wireless is finding AP's around me.
>
> The problem is when I hit the "connect to a network" button, nothing
> happens. Trying several routes it seems it just wont show me wireless
> networks, or let me add them. That window just doesn't want to open.
>
> Googled around and can't seem to find anyone with my exact problem,
> thought
> it might have been this
> (http://www.xoxideforums.com/networki...ou-server.html)
> but that doesn't fix it. I'm at a loss so any ideas would be great.
> Cheers guys

iJebus

Re: Cannot open 'connect to' window
I've managed to fix the problem if anyone else gets it - while running IE to
try fix a problem for a friend, I tried to fix my original problem again,
and I got an error that xwtpw32.dll in system32 was broken/no good.
Downloaded a copy off a random website on google, replaced the original (had
to do that from my ubuntu boot), and suddenly it works again. Not sure how
it got messed up in the first place but glad its working now.

"iJebus" <iJebus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> I'm running a Dell XPS 1530 and am encountering wireless difficulties.
> There
> isn't any problem with the hardware that I'm aware of, everything is on
> and
> using Vistumbler I can see that the wireless is finding AP's around me.
>
> The problem is when I hit the "connect to a network" button, nothing
> happens. Trying several routes it seems it just wont show me wireless
> networks, or let me add them. That window just doesn't want to open.
>
> Googled around and can't seem to find anyone with my exact problem,
> thought
> it might have been this
> (http://www.xoxideforums.com/networki...ou-server.html)
> but that doesn't fix it. I'm at a loss so any ideas would be great.
> Cheers guys

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cannot open 'connect to' window
Thank you for the update.