Phantom Share Folders and error 0x800710FE

David M

Phantom Share Folders and error 0x800710FE
Hi, i'm fairly new to networks,
I have a Vista Business (SP1) notebook wireless linked into a home network
with a XP (SP2) desktop. When i look at the XP SharedDocs folder from the
notebook, i see all manner of folders that i had deleted from the XP months
ago, including contained file information (no data though). Now, from the XP
Desktop, i have deleted everything on the XP SharedDocs, yet when i access
the SharedDocs folder from the Vista Notebook, it still lists every folder
that no longer exists. I have tried accessing and deleting the "image" from
Vista, but get Error 0x800710FE - hardly surprising, since the folders don't
exist on the XP machine.

I've tried reboots of everything, including the wireless router, to no
avail. Is there some sort of Vista registry that i should be clearing to
eliminate these phantom folders?

Thanks for any help.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Phantom Share Folders and error 0x800710FE
For a test, you may try to disable Index temporarily and then enable it
after the test. This how to may help.

How to Disable/Enable Index Service in Vista
http://www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vistaindex1.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"David M" <David M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i'm fairly new to networks,
> I have a Vista Business (SP1) notebook wireless linked into a home network
> with a XP (SP2) desktop. When i look at the XP SharedDocs folder from the
> notebook, i see all manner of folders that i had deleted from the XP
> months
> ago, including contained file information (no data though). Now, from the
> XP
> Desktop, i have deleted everything on the XP SharedDocs, yet when i access
> the SharedDocs folder from the Vista Notebook, it still lists every folder
> that no longer exists. I have tried accessing and deleting the "image"
> from
> Vista, but get Error 0x800710FE - hardly surprising, since the folders
> don't
> exist on the XP machine.
>
> I've tried reboots of everything, including the wireless router, to no
> avail. Is there some sort of Vista registry that i should be clearing to
> eliminate these phantom folders?
>
> Thanks for any help.

David M

Re: Phantom Share Folders and error 0x800710FE
Thanks. Disabling, re-booting, then enabling Index has not eliminated the
phantom folder problem.

I have also "looked" at the same SharedDocs from another PC (XP) on the
network, and it has no subfolders or files, just as it should be. The phantom
folders are just seen from the Vista notebook.

I thought i would mention that i have been using SyncToy 2.0 to synchronise
folders and files between the XP Desktop SharedDocs and the Vista Notebook.
It didn't work too well, so i deleted the folders from the XP machine. Might
this be relevant?

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> For a test, you may try to disable Index temporarily and then enable it
> after the test. This how to may help.
>
> How to Disable/Enable Index Service in Vista
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vistaindex1.htm
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "David M" <David M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, i'm fairly new to networks,
> > I have a Vista Business (SP1) notebook wireless linked into a home network
> > with a XP (SP2) desktop. When i look at the XP SharedDocs folder from the
> > notebook, i see all manner of folders that i had deleted from the XP
> > months
> > ago, including contained file information (no data though). Now, from the
> > XP
> > Desktop, i have deleted everything on the XP SharedDocs, yet when i access
> > the SharedDocs folder from the Vista Notebook, it still lists every folder
> > that no longer exists. I have tried accessing and deleting the "image"
> > from
> > Vista, but get Error 0x800710FE - hardly surprising, since the folders
> > don't
> > exist on the XP machine.
> >
> > I've tried reboots of everything, including the wireless router, to no
> > avail. Is there some sort of Vista registry that i should be clearing to
> > eliminate these phantom folders?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.

David M

Re: Phantom Share Folders and error 0x800710FE
I uninstalled SyncToy - no effect. Have traced the "phantom" folders to the
Offline Files folder, where they are listed with zero bites. However, when i
try to delete them with Offline Files Enabled, the deletion process appears
to be working, but when finished, they are still there. The folders and any
apparent files in them are all zero bites.

How can i get rid of these empty folder entries in the Offline Files folder?

Thanks.