Local Access Only Problem using Vista & ethernet cable

Cupcake02108

Local Access Only Problem using Vista & ethernet cable
Hi Folks,
I have a network problem using Vista. For many months now, I could access
the internet on my work domain using an ethernet cable. I thought it was an
OS corruption and restored it back to factory default. Sadly, that didn't
work. I'm able to access everything on my network but I'm not able to get to
the Internet.

I've tried static address, pinged, IPConfig /renew, tracert (doesn't hop to
my gateway for external adddresses but works fine tracert on internal
addresses). When I take the laptop home and it connects fine to the internet.

Any help would be appreciated!
Cupcake02108

RE: Local Access Only Problem using Vista & ethernet cable
Hi There,

I figure it out. This is what worked for me:

Problem:
For some unknown reason, Vista stopped accessing the internet but I was
still able to access cupcake02108.com's local area network.

I restored the Sony laptop to factory default and still had the problem.
After reading numerous postings and piecing together an answer. This is what
worked for my case....

Resolution:
Control Panel>Network & Share Center
Turn off File Sharing, Public Folder Sharing, Printer Sharing, Media Sharing
Turn ON only Network Discovery
Reboot and Pray

I have access to the Internet!

"Cupcake02108" wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> I have a network problem using Vista. For many months now, I could access
> the internet on my work domain using an ethernet cable. I thought it was an
> OS corruption and restored it back to factory default. Sadly, that didn't
> work. I'm able to access everything on my network but I'm not able to get to
> the Internet.
>
> I've tried static address, pinged, IPConfig /renew, tracert (doesn't hop to
> my gateway for external adddresses but works fine tracert on internal
> addresses). When I take the laptop home and it connects fine to the internet.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Local Access Only Problem using Vista & ethernet cable
Posting the results of ipconfig /all and nslookup here may help.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Cupcake02108" <Cupcake02108@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsDAB829D-21FB-4294-8AC2-12E32CFC4950@microsoft.com...
> Hi Folks,
> I have a network problem using Vista. For many months now, I could access
> the internet on my work domain using an ethernet cable. I thought it was
> an
> OS corruption and restored it back to factory default. Sadly, that didn't
> work. I'm able to access everything on my network but I'm not able to get
> the Internet.
>
> I've tried static address, pinged, IPConfig /renew, tracert (doesn't hop
> my gateway for external adddresses but works fine tracert on internal
> addresses). When I take the laptop home and it connects fine to the
> internet.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Local Access Only Problem using Vista & ethernet cable
Thank you for the update.