networking windows vista to a mac

wellygurl

networking windows vista to a mac
i have just recently brought a new computer running windows vista. i would
like to be able to file share and run a shared printer from my vista computer
to my mac and visa versa for file sharing from mac to vista. i have turned on
the file sharing options in windows but i still cant get any communication
happening. i have a feeling it might be something to do with the workgroup
name or possibly the sub net mask not too sure?
are you able to help me?

Malke

Re: networking windows vista to a mac
wellygurl wrote:

> i have just recently brought a new computer running windows vista. i
> would
> like to be able to file share and run a shared printer from my vista
> computer to my mac and visa versa for file sharing from mac to vista. i
> have turned on the file sharing options in windows but i still cant get
> any communication happening. i have a feeling it might be something to do
> with the workgroup name or possibly the sub net mask not too sure?
> are you able to help me?

See this link for general Vista sharing. Includes details about sharing
printers as well as files and folders:

This assumes that you have correctly set up Windows Sharing in OS X. If you
have Leopard, make sure you are using the SMB protocol and not AFP. You
must create matching user accounts/passwords on both the Mac and Vista. You
do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop in Vista (into one
particular user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The
instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

You also need to make sure you've correctly configured your firewalls on
both machines to allow the Local Area Network as trusted.

To enable Windows Vista to connect to Mac OS X with Windows File Sharing
enabled, you will need to change the following policy in Windows Vista:

Start>Run>secpol.msc [enter]

Click on "Local Policies" --> "Security Options"

Navigate to the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level"
and double-click it to get its Properties. By default Windows Vista sets
the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only". Use the drop-down arrow to change
this to "LM and NTLM ? use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated".

In Vista Home Premium, you won't have this tool so per Steve Winograd, do:

1. Run the registry editor and open this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa

1. If it doesn't already exist, create a DWORD value named
LmCompatibilityLevel

3. Set the value to 1

4. Reboot

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

wellygurl

Re: networking windows vista to a mac
thank you for your advice,
sorry i forgot to mention that i'm running os x 10.4 tiger, which has the
SMB Protocol. i have enabled that, but i'm just not sure about the same
account thing, as when i go through to type the ip address in the address bar
to access my mac in windows it asks for a computer name / password and when i
place the computer name of my mac in and the password i assinged it dose not
work, maybe i have not se the passswords between the machines or workgroup
names up correctly.

any help would be very helpful

thanks