Re: Delay starting IE7 caused by loads of RAS book entries

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Delay starting IE7 caused by loads of RAS book entries
(cross-post added to Vista Networking)
"ShaneUK20" <ShaneUK20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I work in a support company and after several weeks of experimenting we've
> worked out that IE7 takes about 13 seconds to start if we have our usual 50+
> entries in network connections for VPNs to our customers.
>
> A new tab is instant but a new window sits "connecting" for 13 seconds.
>

> If we remove the file RASPHONE.PBK from C:\users\<my
> name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Network\Connection s\Pbk and relogin the delay
> goes away.

By the pattern of that name I'm guessing the OS is Vista?
In XP that file would be somewhere in %USERPROFILE%

FWIW the only one that I have (in XPsp2) is in

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk

> When we add it back we get the same problem.
>
> It's not the add-ins but something in IE7 itself.

More likely in the OS and due to the type of connection

What are you telling IE to do regarding these connections?
E.g., is your VPN connection listed in the Internet Options, Connections tab
and do you ask IE to dial it as your Default connection?

Otherwise I don't see what IE has to do with establishing
this connection. What happens if you use rasphone.exe
manually instead and then let IE treat it as a LAN connection?
(For example.)

> Is there anyway to stop it happening?

Probably better to ask in a newsgroup which specializes
in networking. Cross-posted to a Vista NG for convenience.

> Many thanks

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

ShaneUK20

Re: Delay starting IE7 caused by loads of RAS book entries
Hi Robert

Thanks for the cross post. You are correct it is Vista. My IE is set to
never dial a connection but they do appear in the list of available dial ups.
I'm guessing IE does something to populate that list every time it is opened.

If I move the file to the desktop and open it from there it works and IE7 is
quick. Which is the same as opening it with rasphone.exe. Unfortunately you
don't get all of the functionality this way. For example you cannot delete an
entry.

Once again thanks for the reply and I'll keep looking for an explanation.

Ta Shane

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to Vista Networking)
> "ShaneUK20" <ShaneUK20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I work in a support company and after several weeks of experimenting we've
> > worked out that IE7 takes about 13 seconds to start if we have our usual 50+
> > entries in network connections for VPNs to our customers.
> >
> > A new tab is instant but a new window sits "connecting" for 13 seconds.
> >

> > If we remove the file RASPHONE.PBK from C:\users\<my
> > name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Network\Connection s\Pbk and relogin the delay
> > goes away.

> By the pattern of that name I'm guessing the OS is Vista?
> In XP that file would be somewhere in %USERPROFILE%
>
> FWIW the only one that I have (in XPsp2) is in
>
> %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk
>

> > When we add it back we get the same problem.
> >
> > It's not the add-ins but something in IE7 itself.

> More likely in the OS and due to the type of connection
>
> What are you telling IE to do regarding these connections?
> E.g., is your VPN connection listed in the Internet Options, Connections tab
> and do you ask IE to dial it as your Default connection?
>
> Otherwise I don't see what IE has to do with establishing
> this connection. What happens if you use rasphone.exe
> manually instead and then let IE treat it as a LAN connection?
> (For example.)
>

> > Is there anyway to stop it happening?

> Probably better to ask in a newsgroup which specializes
> in networking. Cross-posted to a Vista NG for convenience.
>

> > Many thanks

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Robert Aldwinckle

> Hi Robert
>
> Thanks for the cross post. You are correct it is Vista. My IE is set to
> never dial a connection but they do appear in the list of available dial ups.
> I'm guessing IE does something to populate that list every time it is opened.

More significantly, IE assumes that you already have an Internet connection
if it needs one.

> If I move the file to the desktop and open it from there it works and IE7 is
> quick. Which is the same as opening it with rasphone.exe. Unfortunately you
> don't get all of the functionality this way. For example you cannot delete an
> entry.

I can't remember what the old NT4 UI was for this, which was the last time
I used it, but FWIW I just checked my XP's rasphone.exe -? help and found
it has an -r option which would do that. ; ) Otherwise the XP Network
Connections tool seems easier to use. I can enter that from my Start menu:
Connect To > Show all connections. IIRC that is not a default even in XP
and I had to use Start menu customization to add it. Again, I have never
seen Vista so I don't know what your options are analogously with it.

> Once again thanks for the reply and I'll keep looking for an explanation.

You might like to try what I'm doing to solve a related problem with my
PPPoE DSL connection. As with your case IE is set to Never dial.
But my OE and WLMail accounts are all configured to use the PPPoE
connection explicitly (instead of getting "Any Connection"--typically the
(non-Internet connected) Local Area Connection that they would both
otherwise try with resulting timeouts, delays or other undesirable symptoms
as the OS tries to figure out how to connect to the Internet dynamically.
So, when I know I haven't been connected for a while I just use Ctrl-M
in either mail reader to check my E-mail. If necessary the PPPoE login
is done, the Internet connection is established and things work smoothly.
And after that IE can connect cleanly too. I suppose IE would work just
as well if I configured it for Always dial instead too but I haven't tried that.

HTH

Robert
---