Mapped Drives and Remote Desktop

randy.lane@gmail.com

Mapped Drives and Remote Desktop
I do not understand this.

1. I have a Vista Ultimate installation.
2. I set up a user id and configure a desktop (color, icons, etc) to
my liking.
3. I create a few mapped drives.
4. I install a program that uses the mapped drives.
5. I sit at the PC and the program works to perfection.
6. I set up Remote Access (RDP) to allow access without NLA.
7. I log off but leave the PC running.
8. I go to another PC and use RDP to connect to the Vista PC using the
same user id as I set up above.
9. I see exactly what I expect (the desktop is exactly the way I left
it in step 7)
10. When I run the program, Vista now prompts me to Allow a program
from an Unidentified Publisher to run. I click Allow.
11. The program can no longer see the mapped drives from step 3.

What is going on here? Why is so much mucked up just because I'm using
RDP? It worked fine with XP.
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Mapped Drives and Remote Desktop
HI
You do need RDP to use a mapped drive.
Once you map a drive it should be used as any drive on the computer that
drive was mapped on (By Windows Explorer, or any other application thta uses
files from a Drive).
Jack (MVP-Networking).

<randy.lane@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I do not understand this.
>
> 1. I have a Vista Ultimate installation.
> 2. I set up a user id and configure a desktop (color, icons, etc) to
> my liking.
> 3. I create a few mapped drives.
> 4. I install a program that uses the mapped drives.
> 5. I sit at the PC and the program works to perfection.
> 6. I set up Remote Access (RDP) to allow access without NLA.
> 7. I log off but leave the PC running.
> 8. I go to another PC and use RDP to connect to the Vista PC using the
> same user id as I set up above.
> 9. I see exactly what I expect (the desktop is exactly the way I left
> it in step 7)
> 10. When I run the program, Vista now prompts me to Allow a program
> from an Unidentified Publisher to run. I click Allow.
> 11. The program can no longer see the mapped drives from step 3.
>
> What is going on here? Why is so much mucked up just because I'm using
> RDP? It worked fine with XP.

randy.lane@gmail.com

Re: Mapped Drives and Remote Desktop
On Jul 14, 3:40*pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
<j...@discussiongroup.com> wrote:
> HI
> You do need RDP to use a mapped drive.
> Once you map a drive it should be used as any drive on the computer that
> drive was mapped on (By Windows Explorer, or any other application thta uses
> files from a Drive).
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> <randy.l...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I do not understand this.

> > 1. I have a Vista Ultimate installation.
> > 2. I set up a user id and configure a desktop (color, icons, etc) to
> > my liking.
> > 3. I create a few mapped drives.
> > 4. I install a program that uses the mapped drives.
> > 5. I sit at the PC and the program works to perfection.
> > 6. I set up Remote Access (RDP) to allow access without NLA.
> > 7. I log off but leave the PC running.
> > 8. I go to another PC and use RDP to connect to the Vista PC using the
> > same user id as I set up above.
> > 9. I see exactly what I expect (the desktop is exactly the way I left
> > it in step 7)
> > 10. When I run the program, Vista now prompts me to Allow a program
> > from an Unidentified Publisher to run. I click Allow.
> > 11. The program can no longer see the mapped drives from step 3.

> > What is going on here? Why is so much mucked up just because I'm using
> > RDP? It worked fine with XP.

When I use RDP, the mapped drives appear in My Computer and Windows
Explorer, but when I run the installed program (step 4) the program
cannot see or use the mapped drives, or any other network resources.