Help required. Networking vista and xp machines.

John Schmidt

Help required. Networking vista and xp machines.
I am not very tech savvy so telling me to read nebulous microsoft news
bulletins will not help me. With that out of the way, I need assistance in
networking my old xp box to my new vista laptop. Both are connected to the
internet using a wireless router. I can't even get these two computers to
see each other!! I even tried using a cross over cable but probably botched
that as well. (Seems that I lost my internet connection on my xp box in doing
this) Please lay out some simple steps I can possible take to get these
machines talking.
Mick Murphy

RE: Help required. Networking vista and xp machines.
Have a read below. Have a look at the link as well!

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"John Schmidt" wrote:

> I am not very tech savvy so telling me to read nebulous microsoft news
> bulletins will not help me. With that out of the way, I need assistance in
> networking my old xp box to my new vista laptop. Both are connected to the
> internet using a wireless router. I can't even get these two computers to
> see each other!! I even tried using a cross over cable but probably botched
> that as well. (Seems that I lost my internet connection on my xp box in doing
> this) Please lay out some simple steps I can possible take to get these
> machines talking.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Help required. Networking vista and xp machines.
Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"John Schmidt" <John Schmidt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am not very tech savvy so telling me to read nebulous microsoft news
> bulletins will not help me. With that out of the way, I need assistance
> in
> networking my old xp box to my new vista laptop. Both are connected to
> the
> internet using a wireless router. I can't even get these two computers to
> see each other!! I even tried using a cross over cable but probably
> botched
> that as well. (Seems that I lost my internet connection on my xp box in
> doing
> this) Please lay out some simple steps I can possible take to get these
> machines talking.

John Schmidt

RE: Help required. Networking vista and xp machines.
Thank you. I have resolved my sharing issues with your information and am
currently picking the brain of my old pc. Kind of like moving where you get
to throw out all the old trash.

Cheers mate, hoist a pint for me.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Have a read below. Have a look at the link as well!

> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
>
> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how their
> Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords (passwords can be different) on ALL computers in your Network) If
> you have it ON, you will be asked for a username and password when you try to
> access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
> Wizard to include Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network
> set up prior to adding a Vista computer to it(redoing the Wizard seems to
> work for XP machines!).
>
> In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> and Printer Sharing.
>
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "John Schmidt" wrote:
>
> > I am not very tech savvy so telling me to read nebulous microsoft news
> > bulletins will not help me. With that out of the way, I need assistance in
> > networking my old xp box to my new vista laptop. Both are connected to the
> > internet using a wireless router. I can't even get these two computers to
> > see each other!! I even tried using a cross over cable but probably botched
> > that as well. (Seems that I lost my internet connection on my xp box in doing
> > this) Please lay out some simple steps I can possible take to get these
> > machines talking.

Mick Murphy

RE: Help required. Networking vista and xp machines.
Cheers; I'll have a couple for you, too!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia