"you might not have permission to use this network resource"

jimstoic

"you might not have permission to use this network resource"
I have an HP Media Vault. I can access public folders that do not have
password security. I cannot access public folders that have password security
or private folders. I am the administrator. I have set up the passwords and
logins. When I attempt to access a private folder or a public folder that has
a password, I get the following message:

SERVER\FOLDER is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
have access permissions. Multiple connections to a server or shared resource
by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect
all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

Any suggestions?
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: "you might not have permission to use this network resource"
Do the administrators on both computers have the same password?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"jimstoic" <jimstoic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP Media Vault. I can access public folders that do not have
> password security. I cannot access public folders that have password
> security
> or private folders. I am the administrator. I have set up the passwords
> and
> logins. When I attempt to access a private folder or a public folder that
> has
> a password, I get the following message:
>
> SERVER\FOLDER is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
> you
> have access permissions. Multiple connections to a server or shared
> resource
> by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed.
> Disconnect
> all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.
>
> Any suggestions?

jimstoic

Re: "you might not have permission to use this network resource"
Yes. But the user names are different. Vista uses (or seems to use) "account
names" with spaces (John Smith) while the server uses a user name and does
not permit spaces (jsmith).

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Do the administrators on both computers have the same password?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "jimstoic" <jimstoic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an HP Media Vault. I can access public folders that do not have
> > password security. I cannot access public folders that have password
> > security
> > or private folders. I am the administrator. I have set up the passwords
> > and
> > logins. When I attempt to access a private folder or a public folder that
> > has
> > a password, I get the following message:
> >
> > SERVER\FOLDER is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> > network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
> > you
> > have access permissions. Multiple connections to a server or shared
> > resource
> > by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed.
> > Disconnect
> > all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: "you might not have permission to use this network resource"
Try these command: net use * /d and then net use h: \\SERVER\FOLDER. When
asking the username and password, type the username who has right to the
folder. It could be 3rd party software. This post may give more details.
Can't access sharing because of Norton
Feb 3, 2008 ... You might not have permission to use this > network
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=1667

--
> Yes. But the user names are different. Vista uses (or seems to use)
> "account
> names" with spaces (John Smith) while the server uses a user name and does
> not permit spaces (jsmith).
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Do the administrators on both computers have the same password?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "jimstoic" <jimstoic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have an HP Media Vault. I can access public folders that do not have
>> > password security. I cannot access public folders that have password
>> > security
>> > or private folders. I am the administrator. I have set up the passwords
>> > and
>> > logins. When I attempt to access a private folder or a public folder
>> > that
>> > has
>> > a password, I get the following message:
>> >
>> > SERVER\FOLDER is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
>> > this
>> > network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
>> > if
>> > you
>> > have access permissions. Multiple connections to a server or shared
>> > resource
>> > by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed.
>> > Disconnect
>> > all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try
>> > again.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?

jimstoic

Re: "you might not have permission to use this network resource"
Thanks.

I get the following:

System error 5 has occurred.
Access is denied.