Vista and Bandwidth Throttling

John Whitworth

Vista and Bandwidth Throttling
I'm a little uncertain as to whether I should be able to invoke bandwidth
throttling using Vista Ultimate with a standard home router.

The router does not have DSCP capability, but I have set up Group Policy for
a particularly stubborn backup application (iDrive), which is supposed to
have inbuilt throttling, but it doesn't work.

By setting DSCP in Vista to 8, and Throttling to 8KBps, should I be seeing
any throttling taking place? Or does it need a special router to actually
analyse the QoS information that Vista is adding to the packets? I'm using
OpenDNS - can that assist in any way here?

I set up the group policy to be for a particular application, from any
address, to any address, TCP and UDP.

I have managed to get around this issue by using a trial version of
NetLimiter. But obviously once my 28 day trial is up, if I don't *need* to
buy it, I'd rather not do so, if it's possible using the OS.

Thanks

John

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Vista and Bandwidth Throttling
Hi
Vista own would not help with the Internet (It will help when you have your
own server)
To throttle the Internet traffic you need a Router that can do its own Qos
or install 3rd party software that enable you to Shape the computer usage of
the resources.
Example: http://www.netlimiter.com/
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"John Whitworth" <sexyjw@gEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm a little uncertain as to whether I should be able to invoke bandwidth
> throttling using Vista Ultimate with a standard home router.
>
> The router does not have DSCP capability, but I have set up Group Policy
> for
> a particularly stubborn backup application (iDrive), which is supposed to
> have inbuilt throttling, but it doesn't work.
>
> By setting DSCP in Vista to 8, and Throttling to 8KBps, should I be seeing
> any throttling taking place? Or does it need a special router to actually
> analyse the QoS information that Vista is adding to the packets? I'm using
> OpenDNS - can that assist in any way here?
>
> I set up the group policy to be for a particular application, from any
> address, to any address, TCP and UDP.
>
> I have managed to get around this issue by using a trial version of
> NetLimiter. But obviously once my 28 day trial is up, if I don't *need* to
> buy it, I'd rather not do so, if it's possible using the OS.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

John Whitworth

Re: Vista and Bandwidth Throttling
Thanks Jack. I am using NetLimiter, and it does work, but I guess I was just
wondering exactly what Vista's throttling option actually does. If it's
possible to set a throttle limit in Vista (in policies) on an
application-by-application basis, what process actually performs the
throttling?

John