Cannot connect to Vista PC

Daniel

Cannot connect to Vista PC
Hi

I have Ultimate SP1, connected to a XP Pro PC through a Network Router.
I cannot get my XP PC to access the Vista PC, I get "permission denied"
messages.

I have been through the how top's and believe the Vista permissions are
correct but I still cannot get access.

The XP PC can see the Vista PC and the Vista PC has no problem accessing the
XP PC.

Any ideas on what is wrong?

thanks

Daniel

Mick Murphy

RE: Cannot connect to Vista PC
Have a read, and see if it helps.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Daniel" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have Ultimate SP1, connected to a XP Pro PC through a Network Router.
> I cannot get my XP PC to access the Vista PC, I get "permission denied"
> messages.
>
> I have been through the how top's and believe the Vista permissions are
> correct but I still cannot get access.
>
> The XP PC can see the Vista PC and the Vista PC has no problem accessing the
> XP PC.
>
> Any ideas on what is wrong?
>
> thanks
>
> Daniel

Daniel

Re: Cannot connect to Vista PC
Thanks Mick, in Queensland Huh!! Lucky you.

Problem is that when I right click on a Foldr and go to sharing I do not get
the file Sharing box as shown in the KB page.

cheers

Daniel
> Have a read, and see if it helps.

> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
>
> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how
> their
> Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers
> is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s
> Shared
> Docs)

> passwords (passwords can be different) on ALL computers in your Network)
> If
> you have it ON, you will be asked for a username and password when you try
> access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
> Wizard to include Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP
> Network
> set up prior to adding a Vista computer to it(redoing the Wizard seems to
> work for XP machines!).
>
> In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> and Printer Sharing.
>
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "Daniel" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have Ultimate SP1, connected to a XP Pro PC through a Network Router.
>> I cannot get my XP PC to access the Vista PC, I get "permission denied"
>> messages.
>>
>> I have been through the how top's and believe the Vista permissions are
>> correct but I still cannot get access.
>>
>> The XP PC can see the Vista PC and the Vista PC has no problem accessing
>> the
>> XP PC.
>>
>> Any ideas on what is wrong?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Daniel

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Cannot connect to Vista PC
Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have Ultimate SP1, connected to a XP Pro PC through a Network Router.
> I cannot get my XP PC to access the Vista PC, I get "permission denied"
> messages.
>
> I have been through the how top's and believe the Vista permissions are
> correct but I still cannot get access.
>
> The XP PC can see the Vista PC and the Vista PC has no problem accessing
> the XP PC.
>
> Any ideas on what is wrong?
>
> thanks
>
> Daniel

Daniel

Re: Cannot connect to Vista PC
Thanks Mick, I have followed your instruction but perhaps I missed
something.

I'll start again and see where I get.

thanks

Daniel