Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Access denied trying to write from XP to Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2008
Bob
 

Posts: n/a
Access denied trying to write from XP to Vista
Hi NG,

I am having a small problem trying to write to an external hard disk drive
(eHDD) on a Vista Ultimate machine. My XP machine (Snowdancer) has no
problem reading and writing files to the internal HDD of a Vista machine
(Osiris). If I copy test.txt from Snowdancer to \\Osiris\C on Osiris\tmp
all goes well. I can read the C: drive on Osiris and the eHDD I: drive with
no problem. But if I try to write a file to Osiris I: drive I get the
"Access is denied" error.

I have tried to set the permissions the same on the C: as on the I:, but
still no luck. I am using the standard Firewall on both machines. Osiris
has OneCare running and Snowdancer has Norton 360. My user name on Osiris
is Bob, but on Snowdancer it is Robert Schuldenfrei. Can anyone suggest
what I am doing wrong?

BTW, I tried to follow PChuck's suggestions and download Browstat.exe, but I
could not find a place to download same. Both Dynawell and Stanford did not
let me do it.

TIA,

Bob

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2008
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Access denied trying to write from XP to Vista
Have you checked the permissions in Security tab? Or check this post.
Vista common issue - can see but ...
Apr 9, 2008 ... Have you assign permission under security > tab? or
this link may help. Please post back with the result. > > Vista Permission
IssuesPost ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=450


--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"Bob" <bob@s-i-inc.com> wrote in message
news:E427AB10-5345-4A7D-AC84-B6D5E269DA8D@microsoft.com...
> Hi NG,
>
> I am having a small problem trying to write to an external hard disk drive
> (eHDD) on a Vista Ultimate machine. My XP machine (Snowdancer) has no
> problem reading and writing files to the internal HDD of a Vista machine
> (Osiris). If I copy test.txt from Snowdancer to \\Osiris\C on Osiris\tmp
> all goes well. I can read the C: drive on Osiris and the eHDD I: drive
> with no problem. But if I try to write a file to Osiris I: drive I get
> the "Access is denied" error.
>
> I have tried to set the permissions the same on the C: as on the I:, but
> still no luck. I am using the standard Firewall on both machines. Osiris
> has OneCare running and Snowdancer has Norton 360. My user name on Osiris
> is Bob, but on Snowdancer it is Robert Schuldenfrei. Can anyone suggest
> what I am doing wrong?
>
> BTW, I tried to follow PChuck's suggestions and download Browstat.exe, but
> I could not find a place to download same. Both Dynawell and Stanford did
> not let me do it.
>
> TIA,
>
> Bob


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2008
Bob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Access denied trying to write from XP to Vista
Dear Robert and NG,

Thank you for the quick reply. I had indeed set the Security tab for both
the C: (which is working) and the I: (which is not). And... I set it for
the folders C:\0UserFiles and I:\Snowdancer. If you follow this link you
can view these properties. http://www.s-i-inc.com/Security01.jpg and
http://www.s-i-inc.com/Security02.jpg. The Group or user name is slightly
different for the folders. Can you spot the problem?

I would love a tool that would trace down the cause of these issue. I
believe Browstat.exe is such a tool, but I cannot find a working download.
The ideal tool would run on the XP machine and work like tracert.exe. It
would attempt to push through firewalls, antivirus programs, and levels of
permissions until it failed. At least then I would know what Vista program
is issuing the "Access is denied" error condition. As it is now, I am
trying various things at random with no luck yet.

Thank you,

Bob


"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
news:e$oHDR64IHA.2336@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Have you checked the permissions in Security tab? Or check this post.
> Vista common issue - can see but ...
> Apr 9, 2008 ... Have you assign permission under security > tab? or
> this link may help. Please post back with the result. > > Vista Permission
> IssuesPost ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=450
>
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Bob" <bob@s-i-inc.com> wrote in message
> news:E427AB10-5345-4A7D-AC84-B6D5E269DA8D@microsoft.com...
>> Hi NG,
>>
>> I am having a small problem trying to write to an external hard disk
>> drive (eHDD) on a Vista Ultimate machine. My XP machine (Snowdancer) has
>> no problem reading and writing files to the internal HDD of a Vista
>> machine (Osiris). If I copy test.txt from Snowdancer to \\Osiris\C on
>> Osiris\tmp all goes well. I can read the C: drive on Osiris and the eHDD
>> I: drive with no problem. But if I try to write a file to Osiris I:
>> drive I get the "Access is denied" error.
>>
>> I have tried to set the permissions the same on the C: as on the I:, but
>> still no luck. I am using the standard Firewall on both machines.
>> Osiris has OneCare running and Snowdancer has Norton 360. My user name
>> on Osiris is Bob, but on Snowdancer it is Robert Schuldenfrei. Can
>> anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?
>>
>> BTW, I tried to follow PChuck's suggestions and download Browstat.exe,
>> but I could not find a place to download same. Both Dynawell and
>> Stanford did not let me do it.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Bob

>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-13-2008
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Access denied trying to write from XP to Vista
You may want to use icacls command to compare the permissions in both shared
folders.
Share root drive
Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:14 am Post subject: How to: check
permissions using Vista icacls command, Reply with quote . ...
www.howtonetworking.com/vista/sharedrive.htm


--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"Bob" <bob@s-i-inc.com> wrote in message
news:41A2EA56-E511-49B8-B694-60628FDFD299@microsoft.com...
> Dear Robert and NG,
>
> Thank you for the quick reply. I had indeed set the Security tab for both
> the C: (which is working) and the I: (which is not). And... I set it for
> the folders C:\0UserFiles and I:\Snowdancer. If you follow this link you
> can view these properties. http://www.s-i-inc.com/Security01.jpg and
> http://www.s-i-inc.com/Security02.jpg. The Group or user name is slightly
> different for the folders. Can you spot the problem?
>
> I would love a tool that would trace down the cause of these issue. I
> believe Browstat.exe is such a tool, but I cannot find a working download.
> The ideal tool would run on the XP machine and work like tracert.exe. It
> would attempt to push through firewalls, antivirus programs, and levels of
> permissions until it failed. At least then I would know what Vista
> program is issuing the "Access is denied" error condition. As it is now,
> I am trying various things at random with no luck yet.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bob
>
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
> news:e$oHDR64IHA.2336@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Have you checked the permissions in Security tab? Or check this post.
>> Vista common issue - can see but ...
>> Apr 9, 2008 ... Have you assign permission under security > tab? or
>> this link may help. Please post back with the result. > > Vista
>> Permission IssuesPost ...
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=450
>>
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Bob" <bob@s-i-inc.com> wrote in message
>> news:E427AB10-5345-4A7D-AC84-B6D5E269DA8D@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi NG,
>>>
>>> I am having a small problem trying to write to an external hard disk
>>> drive (eHDD) on a Vista Ultimate machine. My XP machine (Snowdancer)
>>> has no problem reading and writing files to the internal HDD of a Vista
>>> machine (Osiris). If I copy test.txt from Snowdancer to \\Osiris\C on
>>> Osiris\tmp all goes well. I can read the C: drive on Osiris and the
>>> eHDD I: drive with no problem. But if I try to write a file to Osiris
>>> I: drive I get the "Access is denied" error.
>>>
>>> I have tried to set the permissions the same on the C: as on the I:, but
>>> still no luck. I am using the standard Firewall on both machines.
>>> Osiris has OneCare running and Snowdancer has Norton 360. My user name
>>> on Osiris is Bob, but on Snowdancer it is Robert Schuldenfrei. Can
>>> anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?
>>>
>>> BTW, I tried to follow PChuck's suggestions and download Browstat.exe,
>>> but I could not find a place to download same. Both Dynawell and
>>> Stanford did not let me do it.
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> Bob

>>

>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2008
James
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Access denied trying to write from XP to Vista

Hello Bob, Did you find the fix already?
Anyway, Try this also... Manually Take the ownership of the network folder
http://unlockforus.blogspot.com/2007...folder-in.html
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2008
Bob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Access denied trying to write from XP to Vista
No I have not. Yesterday I was having issues posting to this NG. Will try
your idea.

Thanks,

Bob


"James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B67ADEE0-1A2E-41C4-A5A7-13049B5BD95A@microsoft.com...
>
> Hello Bob, Did you find the fix already?
> Anyway, Try this also... Manually Take the ownership of the network folder
> http://unlockforus.blogspot.com/2007...folder-in.html


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Access Denied, Access Denied- like a broken record! Sam microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 04-26-2008 05:54
When standard users access Vista registry remotely, Access Denied Gayle microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 1 10-10-2007 17:48
After re-installation - file write access denied Thomas microsoft.public.de.windows.vista.installation 1 10-03-2007 22:57
Access Denied trying to access Vista PC Ron microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 7 09-30-2007 15:45
No write-access from Vista to files created by XP on external driv DJB microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 3 07-18-2007 12:12




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:55.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120